Travel Insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bladesman73

Über Member
Hi all, currently getting all confused trying to find travel insurance for myself and my adult son. We are having a week long mini tour in the Netherlands soon and just wanted the usual travel cover plus bike theft cover. Cannot find any that say they cover cycle theft whilst abroad. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Have you tried Post Office travel insurance? Always found them good, but cannot confirm whether or not they cover bike theft while abroad. Would your house contents insurance not cover this? If it's not a standard type of cover, you may have to contact the various insurance companies to enquire re coverage and costs.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I think that some Home Contents policies will cover bikes and theft when abroad for a small additional sum. Bike-specific policies are a complete spivvy ripoff.
Once you have covered your bike, just get a standard travel policy. I go for annual ones because I travel a fair bit. They are far better value than shorter ones.

Alex321

Veteran
Hi all, currently getting all confused trying to find travel insurance for myself and my adult son. We are having a week long mini tour in the Netherlands soon and just wanted the usual travel cover plus bike theft cover. Cannot find any that say they cover cycle theft whilst abroad. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.

My house contents insurance covers pedal cycles anywhere in the world, provided they are~:
- in your immediate custody and control;
or
- securely locked to an object that can’t be moved;
or
- locked inside a concealed boot or concealed luggage compartment of a locked vehicle which has been broken into by using force and violence;
or
- in a locked building

I'm not exactly sure of the types of cover you are looking for but one important thing to keep in mind is that not all insurance will cover "bike touring". It is often included under "extreme sports" and coverage denied. Check the small print or get an email confirmation that your type of travel is covered.

Good luck! NL is great for bike adventures!

OP
OP
bladesman73

bladesman73

Über Member
Just checked home ins policy and it covers my bikes abroad for up to 60 days away. Didnt think to check that so thanks for the suggestion all!

OP
OP
bladesman73

bladesman73

Über Member
I'm not exactly sure of the types of cover you are looking for but one important thing to keep in mind is that not all insurance will cover "bike touring". It is often included under "extreme sports" and coverage denied. Check the small print or get an email confirmation that your type of travel is covered.

Good luck! NL is great for bike adventures!

Yeah I usually go there alone and never cared about bike theft cover as my bike is always either with me or at a secure location. With my son we will be locking the bikes up in public places, i have gold sold secure locks but needed reassurance regarding insurance cover.

T4tomo

Guru
Yeah I usually go there alone and never cared about bike theft cover as my bike is always either with me or at a secure location. With my son we will be locking the bikes up in public places, i have gold sold secure locks but needed reassurance regarding insurance cover.

People cycling around the world by bike usually only get their bike nicked in Reading, so by going abroad you'll be fine.

Sallar55

Veteran
Just go for a good medical one with cover for travel delays etc. Replacement value for bike and all the touring gear would be expensive. What is the limit that they give for bikes in a general travel insurance? Remember that the UK ( England) is probably one of the top 10 places in the world for bike thefts.

Top Bottom