Travelling on trains with bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Oh, just a thought. You can use Tesco vouchers for the tickets with redspottedhanky.com (£20 off tickets for £10 of vouchers) if that's any use to anyone :smile:

mcr

Veteran
Thanks for all the replies people, and they show a common trend, UK train travel with a bike isn't unknown, but is a bit like alchemy. A few people know how to do it and pass that learning on by word of mouth. Also the facilities are a lottery.

Seems a right PITA compared with Germany and the NL where I (as a complete stranger to their ways) rocked up to a train station, self-served my tickets, got on the train and made it easily to my destination.

Regardless, I am going to do a London FNRttC this year if it kills me, I just thought it would be the physical element of cycling to do me in, not the stress and faffing involved in catching ONE SINGLE f***ING TRAIN with a BICYCLE

I will be doing the York - Hull one though as that's on my doorstep so to speak (if you have a 25 mile wide doorstep).

It helps that in Germany, for instance, half a carriage in a 3- or 4-coach train will be set aside for bikes and other large items - though even there I've been 'bumped' at a weekend when the whole country seems to take to the trains by bike.

Anyone know if you can take your bikes on trains in London? I need to get from Euston to Stratford with my bike and luggage, no way I'm cycling in London as I don't know the place at all. I've emailed a few of the rail companies but so far nothing back, any advice would be appreciated

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
@Nicol You are better to look at the TOC's web site and see what their policy in carrying bikes is. It a bit of a minefield as varies: some have an outright ban during peak times, some allow folders during the peak and some occasionally allow full bikes in dedicated storage areas, some trains have no storage areas, some services you have to book and some you dont and others booking is banned, etc :wacko:

Please don't believe this! Bikes on trains are not 'a nightmare', don't let that put you off. The only time it might get close to being true is in the rush hours, reasonably enough, and most train operators have restrictions then. Sometimes a guard might get a bit officious, but usually they are very reasonable and helpful if you approach them in a friendly way (like most people actually). Loads of people bring their bikes to FNRttCs from all over the place without any problems at all.

ComedyPilot you will be fine, especially if you use the Southern link above and book in advance.

+1 I must admit I do not commute daily with as bike as some do but I have never had a problem with getting a bike on the train. I could relate many times where I have caught a train without a bike reservation and train staff have been most helpful. When I can I do reserve a space, which is the sensible thing to do, but sometimes plans change and in those cases I have always got my bike on a train.

Anyone know if you can take your bikes on trains in London? I need to get from Euston to Stratford with my bike and luggage, no way I'm cycling in London as I don't know the place at all. I've emailed a few of the rail companies but so far nothing back, any advice would be appreciated

I am a stranger to London so if you could find a forum member to guide you it is not a difficult ride. Last year I rode from Euston Station to the Travelodge at Stratford with few problems. Doing as advised I followed a 205 bus from Euston to Bow Church then carried on about another mile (be careful at the busy junction) to Stratford. It took me about 40 minutes.

mcr

Veteran
I am a stranger to London so if you could find a forum member to guide you it is not a difficult ride. Last year I rode from Euston Station to the Travelodge at Stratford with few problems. Doing as advised I followed a 205 bus from Euston to Bow Church then carried on about another mile (be careful at the busy junction) to Stratford. It took me about 40 minutes.

Or, if you're coming into Euston on a train from the north, change at Watford Junction on to the local London Overground service as far as Willesden Junction, then change on to the North London Line to Stratford. Bikes accepted out of peak hours (see TfL website). Lifts available at both Watford and Willesden.

Stu Plows

Coming soon: Bonking on a hill near you!
When we did London to Brighton last year, we drove to Brighton first thing and got the train back to London, £6 for the tickets from Brighton to Clapham Junction, no problems with the bike on them. I called the train company to makes sure it was allowed also, they were fine with it.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Euston to Stratford? Ride along the Euston road to St Pancras and then get the HighSpeed train to Stratford. A mile of cycling and 10 minutes on the train...

compo

Veteran
I regularly take my bike on the train between MarksTey and Chelmsford. I just get on and stand with the bike in the vestibule by the door. I have never had a problem, and if I did by the time the guard chucked me off we would be at Chelmsford anyway. It's only a ten minute train ride. I don't do it during rush hour though.

Euston to Stratford? Ride along the Euston road to St Pancras and then get the HighSpeed train to Stratford. A mile of cycling and 10 minutes on the train...
That's a good shout, thanks. I know Euston is close to st pancras so I'll probably walk it, I'm going to have a 60l backpack as well as small daypack so don't really fancy cycling it!

jefmcg

Guru
Walking seems like a good plan, it's a fast road when it's not busy, and the most polluted place in London IIRC when it is. Make sure you are not travelling at peak time, and it should be no bother to get on board with your bicycle.

jay clock

Massive member
Although I have not done it in the NL, it is not quite as accepted as you say. They have similar rush hour restrictions to the UK. This based upon trains from Schipol to Amsterdam and Hilversum. May be better elsewhere.

I own a folder for the very odd occasions when I want to take a bike to London and cannot afford the risk of rejection of a non folder.

Although I have not done it in the NL, it is not quite as accepted as you say. They have similar rush hour restrictions to the UK. This based upon trains from Schipol to Amsterdam and Hilversum. May be better elsewhere.

I own a folder for the very odd occasions when I want to take a bike to London and cannot afford the risk of rejection of a non folder.

York to London is easy-peasy. Either East Coast Trains or Grand Central.

I always book through the Transpennine Express site, as they do bike bookings online and post for free. You do occasionally get a bit extra 'online discount' from EC for booking one of their trains on their site but generally the price is the same whoever you book through. Alternatively you can go to the station and book from an Actual Person there, if you have a convenient station.

If you're on an EC service, the East Coast staff at York station aren't bad at all. Go and ask the person in the kiosk next to WHSmiths if they can tell you which end of the train the bike space will be - they use two sorts of train, one with a big guards van at the london end and the other with a smaller one at the northern end with dangly spaces. The First Class carriages are always at the southern end (so the posh lot don't have to walk too far on arrival at London). Be a bit early, make sure the platform staff know you have a bike to load. They or the train guard unlock the van, hop on (big step!) and park the bike. I usually carry a couple of bungees to secure it. Hop back down onto the platform and get in the nearest door then walk through the train to your seat.

Make sure the stuff you'll need on the journey (like tickets!) goes with you and not the bike. I tend to remove lights etc and stick them in my bag so that they don't get dislodged when I'm lifting the bike on and off.

Grand Central are the best train company I've ever used with a bike. They take tandems. They take unbooked bikes. They use common sense. I've been allowed to stick my bike in the buffet car and doorways when this didn't inconvenience a anyone and was easier than getting to the guards van. I once had the train driver jump out of the cab to open up and help me load the bike on. They've also let me use the guards door between van and passenger carriage. And the driver on one was cheerful even when I accidentally got chain oil on his bag that was in the bike space.

If you are advance booking, check out the first class fares by the way. I've sometimes got first class advances for less than standard class. And they give you free coffee and food!

Sara_H

Guru
The national rail iphone app is quite good, because when you selecy a train it tells you what the companies bike policy is.

Top Bottom