Travelling on trains with bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The national rail iphone app is quite good, because when you selecy a train it tells you what the companies bike policy is.
Ah, then it's improved. When they first added that to the android version, the information was clear, detailed and - for the example I knew - wrong. Just checked now, and it's correct.

Still, it's a wonderful app. Last winter, it's 8pm and my plans for doing a 200km have gone badly awry. It's stopped hailing and sleeting but a fog's descended and I still have a 100km to go. I'm hungry (ironically? coincidentally?) in Hungerford, but there's nowhere appropriate open for a sit down and a hot drink, and Londis does not appeal. Open this app (for the first time), program in my home station and it shows me the route to the platform, and the changes to get me home. Even the fare. Heaven!

ScotiaLass

Guru
I've never been on a train with a bike - until I picked up my new bike from Glasgow and took the local train home (about 30mins).
I knew no booking was required for the local train.

It was easy to get on with the bike and there were seats dotted around the bike rack so I could sit opposite the bike rack.

The issue I had was that the rack is designed for the larger framed bikes and the angle and size of my frame meant it wouldn't fit on.
I propped it under the rack and kind of wedged it there until someone else got on who wanted to use the rack. I let him put his on (he was going further than me) and wedged my bike back in front of his, as before.
I was just waiting for it to get scratched!!
Edited to add that I have just emailed Scotrail and told them they need to re-design their bike racks!!!

Last edited:

jarlrmai

Veteran
Be careful filtering down the aisle and if you see the buffet trolley take primary.

I took my bike on the train to Manchester when I did my bike fitting (the Southport to Mcr line) and it was no problem turned up stuck the bike in the bike bit of the train, strapped her in and off we went, same on the way home.

However I was travelling not at rush hour I can imagine it being a different story at different times.

On the way back the weather was nice so I got out 3-4 stops early and rode the 20 miles home

Sara_H

Guru
Best kerfuffle I ever had was when the station i was getting off at had a short platform, and the bike carriage wasn't going to be on the platform.
Luckily the guard realised and warned me and I got off the stop before, ran down the platform and got back on and just stood in the doorway until my stop.

montage

God Almighty
Whoever drew up virgin rail's bike policy should be hung drawn and quartered.
You will not get onto a virgin train without an advanced bike reservation.
The advanced ticket takes approx 20 minutes to get on the phone. Double this time for every change you have - the operator will likely come back to you with "I have managed to book the bike onto the first train but not onto the second one". Nice one.

Bodhbh

Guru
I don't think it's too bad. I been lugging one on and off various services regularly for a few years now, and I've only not got a bike on a train twice - once Virgin been jobsworths regarding a reservation at Birmingham...the other time, on Arriva North Wales during the hols, as the train was too packed for most humans to get on, nm bikes.

If you book, generally you don't have problems (East Coast Online, I never phone). If you don't, mostly you can wing it on the long-distance trains (i.e. they don't ask, or just say you have a reservation - I've never been asked to produce a reservation). On local trains 9/10 you don't need a reservation, but you may be fighting for bike space with other cyclists.

I have found Virgin to be the worst sticklers by far for reservations. To be fair to them, if you book, your fine. And they do have to have crew available in advance to let you off and open up the bike coach - either on the platform, or the ticket collector has to walk up the train and get in position. This goes for most of the long-distance trains afaik. Yes I know it sucks if you get refused as half the time nobody is occupying the bike spaces.

I'm presuming the bikes are kept somewhere securely on the train? Does it need to go in a bag? Only been on local trains with my bike, here in Glasgow, just not sure what happens on Gla to Euston

Pendelinos are usually used on the Glasgow to Euston. Bike door is in coach A every time I have been in and out of Glasgow it has been the first coach you would come to. You can wheel you bike on the train and hang it on the hooks provided. You have to get a member of the platform staff to open the door but you can then get into the carriage A from inside the train. When doing your reservation (some booking websites have been recommended on this thread but I always use London Midland) request a seat in coach A your bike will then be to hand. At Euston you will again have to get someone to open the door.

It may seem complicated but it is not I do it a lot and never have problems.

Two types of train are used by Virgin on the West coast line (can never remember which is which) On one the bike storage is at the very front of the train coming North or at the rear coming South and you have to wait for the guard/conductor to open the door and then you fasten the bike by straps. You then access the train via the normal inter carriage door. When you want get off you have to wait for some one to open the door for you (bit nerve racking when the train is almost due to leave and on one has come). On the other type of train the bike area is some where in the middle and you wheel it on and hang it up but have to take off your panniers. At your destination you just wheel the bike off. Some times I have been allocated as far away from the bike storage as is possible to get , on the occasions I have just found the nearest un reserved seat and used it. At other times the very helpful staff have given me a seat as close as possible to the bike storage area.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Bikes on trains are a nightmare. I do use the local train service but it is a gamble. Most of the local train company's put the onus on the guard, who is only obliged to allow two cycles on a train. The main line trains are the same but you have to book in advance. On Virgin depending on which type of train you are on you have to rely on some one at your destination station to open the door for you. Northern vary a lot.

Don't be put off by this. I've been hauling bikes on and off trains for 20 years as a commuter, tourer and travelling to busy sportives. In that time I've only once had a problem which was with Virgin. I arrived an hour early for the train and wasn't allowed on as I didn't have a cycle reservation for that train.

Having commuted from Chorley to Manchester on a regular basis I can vouch for the friendly approach of both Transpennine and Northern who both accommodate cyclists and often allow more than the regulation numbers on board.

Bikes and trains are easy with a little organisation.

Bikes and trains are easy with a little organisation.
Plus a lot of luck that at times depends on the conductor who admittedly are mostly good, but are sometimes "Jobs worth" but It is not the staff that is really the problem on trains, it is the fact that at times there is just not enough room for bikes on them since the guards van was done away with.

Brandane

Legendary Member
At Euston you will again have to get someone to open the door.
.......and good luck finding that someone! I have only taken a bike to London about 3 times (en route to Portsmouth for a ferry) and each time I have got off the train at Euston, there is no-one to be seen. Bike storage is at the north end of Glasgow/London trains (the back when arriving at London), the driver is at the front (hopefully!) and the "train manager" has jumped off as soon as the train stops to go for his break. I end up wheeling the bike with 4 panniers through the carriage (no mean feat) to take it off at the first available proper door.

As a footnote...
Last time I went to Portsmouth, the service unexpectedly terminated somewhere about 10 miles outside Portsmouth. Foot passengers were told to wait for a bus. I had a loaded bike and didn't have much spare time for the ferry check-in deadline. Rather than risk getting refused carriage on the bus whenever it arrived, I cycled to Portsmouth. Which was good, but only because it was a nice day and navigation was taken care of by another cyclist on the train who luckily had a Garmin with maps. Otherwise it could have been a missed ferry, and a 24 hour delay to a 7 day holiday.
Train travel with a bike can definitely be a risky business and not to be relied upon.

Rustybucket

Veteran
Has anyone had any experience going from Bristol to Reading and then Reading to Staines with a bike?

Ill be taking my bike in the evening on a Saturday from bristol to Staines - will I need to reserve a space or can I just turn up?
Thanks

Top Bottom