Trek 7.5fx Rear wheel bearing question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

miklekrs

Hi
i have broken the original spoke protector from behind the casette on my bike and i tought it is safer to have a new one installed than just leave it alone. So, originally i thought i have a freewheel, but no it was a casette and the mistake i have made that i removed the bearing shaft in order to get to the sprockets with the socket. no problem i said i cleaned everything and put some new grease in there to get to my question.
This bearing design has a shaft with a race on the drive side(i think from 1 piece, but i wasn't check it too closely), and a race nut-spacer-dust cover-washer-spacer-nut on the non drive side. i took it apart from the non drive side and it wasn't very tight, but it was definitely not hand-tight, when i put it back together and tried to tight it up the bearing was not moving freely, so i had to hand tight the race nut on the non drive side until no play in bearing and i played with the outside nut on the bike with the quick release loose until i felt no play in the wheel and it was spinning freely. the problem is there are no locking nuts on this model and i can not get to the race nut if the dust protector installed and the outside nut is for the quick realese to grip really.
Is this the right way of installing this or what could i do differently? The wheel won't fell out it spins and safe to ride, but i want to make sure i have done it right.
thanks

Jody

Stubborn git
Lesson learned.

Next time, throw it in the bin and don't put another one back on :whistle:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
So there is no locknut on the axle to hold the bearings in adjustment. Not quite sure what your worry is but quite common for them held in place with the QR. How does the dust protector affect this?
A pic would help is this doesn’t answer your question.

:welcome: to CC

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh dear, you really shouldn't mess - I feel a need for a bike shop to fix it.

The axel (not a shaft) will have cones (the bits the bearings contact) a washer or two then another nut. You never undo the drive side (that side you make sure it's tight). Only undo the non drive side.

When tightening up, you tighten the cone until there is a slight amount of play in the bearings, then nip up the locking nut and check again. When the wheel is in the frame, and quick release is tight, the 'play' is then removed due to additional compression. If it's not, you need to nip the cones up a little.

OP
OP
M

miklekrs

So there is no locknut on the axle to hold the bearings in adjustment. Not quite sure what your worry is but quite common for them held in place with the QR. How does the dust protector affect this?
A pic would help is this doesn’t answer your question.

:welcome: to CC

ok, i wasn't sure about the designs as i have not came across one on youtube so i had to ask. the dust protector is a cone design ad once installed i can not see or access the adjuster race bit.

OP
OP
M

miklekrs

Oh dear, you really shouldn't mess - I feel a need for a bike shop to fix it.

The axel (not a shaft) will have cones (the bits the bearings contact) a washer or two then another nut. You never undo the drive side (that side you make sure it's tight). Only undo the non drive side.

When tightening up, you tighten the cone until there is a slight amount of play in the bearings, then nip up the locking nut and check again. When the wheel is in the frame, and quick release is tight, the 'play' is then removed due to additional compression. If it's not, you need to nip the cones up a little.

i don't see why i shouldn't mess. After all i work on cars, maybe i am capable.
as i wrote i have undo the non drive side and the only thing counfused me that this design has no locking nut.

Jody

Stubborn git
Don't be like that. i have learned many things making errors. It is essential in learning howto fix things. :smile:

It was only (mostly) in jest.

Not much point in them if your mech's well adjusted but on a plus, at least you're getting some training on rear hubs/bearings.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
@miklekrs A lot of plonker pulling on here :smile:

Top Bottom