Trek 800 Sport - further changes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Once my arm starts working a bit better, it will be time to do the final tweaks to this, the only even half-decent bike I've owned from new.
Simplest bit is to swap the tyres for tanwall versions. The black ones will swap onto the Claud Butler.
Next, do some bar and stem swapping, which will actually see that area return to stock, with a quill stem.
Then a rear transmission swap from 8 to 9 speed, not for the increase in gears but the larger available low sprocket of 36t.
Ass saver guards, lights, and good to go.
Just hope it's not too long before I can get started...

hope you can soon start it , don't forget …..we like pics:okay:

OK, the plan for this is quite complex, juggling parts between several bikes.

Part One: return Scott AFD roadie to 12-25 Sora original spec. This gives me an Alivio RD-M410 for the Trek 9-speed conversion, and leaves a lightly used 11-34t 8-speed cassette spare. Sell Scott.

Part Two: remove the rd, rear wheel, chain, tyres and bars/brake-shifters from the Trek. Spread the rear triangle on the Claud Butler Uracco by 5mm. Fit everything removed from the Trek, with new cables. This keeps chain and cassette together as from new. Give this one to my son for his birthday!

Part Three: Fit bars from CB to original Trek quill stem and refit to Trek*. Fit new EF65-9 shifters. Fit Alivio rd. Fit 8-speed chainset from old Norco to bring entire drivetrain to Shimano, rather than mix-and-match. Fit new 12-36t cassette to new rear wheel. Fit new tan-wall 50mm City Jets. Fettle. Ride!

*Might use the a-head converter currently fitted to the Trek and the Zoom riser stem from the CB if I need a more upright position to take weight off of the %*^#ing duff shoulder...

Last edited:
20190816_133504.jpg

Toys!

20190819_103448.jpg

Claud Butler Urraco stripped and cold set (aka bent).
20190819_104243.jpg

Wheel transferred from Trek.
20190819_173545.jpg

Done. Only little time to begin the Trek, so it got its new rear wheel and tyres, more upright bars, the new EF65-9 EZ-Fires, and the Only the brakes cabled as yet; next step is to restore the Scott roadie to Sora, and transplant the Alivio rear mech onto the Trek. If that works, well and good, I'm done. If not, save some pennies for an Alivio RD-M4000 which definitely will.
The 36t sprocket looks huge on a 559 MTB wheel!
20190819_173559.jpg

Last edited:
All bikes essentially done.
The Scott is back to stock, except for the flat bar setup.
The Trek is complete also. Didn't have time for pics, as rain kept threatening, and I have to do all this outside. Will do finishing tweaks and pics later today, but so far, it all works well, the Alivio RD-M410 mech coping just fine with 9 speeds as opposed to its 7-8 speed spec. Newer front chainset just worked, no adjustment needed at all so far.

All fitted.
20190830_161454.jpg

Cockpit
20190830_161436.jpg

With lights and guards.
20190830_163700.jpg

Short test ride: no parts fell off, neither did my right arm! It all works.
Based on this ride, it rather looks like this will largely be used as a 1x9, with the small and large chainrings seeing less use than before.
Good result.

Top Bottom