Trek Checkpoint ALR5

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
A question re bike distribution from someone with little knowledge as to how it works.

Within the last 48 hours or so Trek have released a new model; the Checkpoint.

Last summer I purchased a Trek Domane ALR5 disc and had noise problems with the Isospeed Decoupler which after a few rides became noisy. LBS could not cure it and ordered second bike which after a few rides did the exactly the same. It was suggested that the bike go back to Trek for a few weeks to sort at which point I'd had enough and obtained a refund.

So, when this bike 'popped up' I decided that it would be right for me. The geometry is within a gnats whisker of the Domane but it can take wider tyres. Crucially for me it has no Isospeed Decoupler (on the aluminium versions but does on the Carbon). It also comes with an Ultegra HG800 11-34 cassette which I gather from Trek has Shimano's blessing to use with a RD 5800 105 mech' despite this being given a maximum cog size of 32 in Shimano's own spec's. This gives a nice 1:1 (34/34) low gear for my old legs which will be handy for the local hills.

Comes with slightly fancier 300 series aluminium than the Domane's 200 which will make zilch difference to my life and Trek's Stranglehold rear dropout. I'll have a play with the two settings and see if they make any real difference in the bike's handling to me - I'm not the most sensitive of bike owners I'll admit.

I've ordered a 54cm and it's due in on March 19 or thereabouts. According to the bike shop their system that accesses Trek's own availability data indicates that only 6 ALR5's in size 54cm will hit the UK market for the foreseeable future and another 10 worldwide. These are 2019 bikes apparently and will be initially released in small batches.

Which leads me to this question - is this the normal practice for manufacturers to release such a tiny number of bikes to the market after creating a fair amount of publicity around the model?

I remember the Domane ALR5 Disc that I mentioned above being available for a very limited period of time back in July last year before it disappeared and won't resurface until the middle of this month.

Does anyone here have an explanation for the logic of this marketing/production approach?

The bike itself:

CheckpointALR5.jpg

vickster

Legendary Member
@Elybazza61 is in the trade maybe?

@SpokeyDokey, I was frustrated by the lack of Domane ALR5 Discs and was happily waiting until now-ish when one turned up for me at Christmas. Possibly because it was for a warranty replacement they rushed one over.

si_c

Guru
I'm pretty sure my LBS has a 54 and 56 in stock of the checkpoint, but I don't know if they have the ALR version though. I do know that the guys there are very impressed with the bike.

Good luck with your hunt to get one.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

I'm pretty sure my LBS has a 54 and 56 in stock of the checkpoint, but I don't know if they have the ALR version though. I do know that the guys there are very impressed with the bike.

Good luck with your hunt to get one.

Its on order and due in just over 2 weeks time.

The system said no ally 52's or 54's in stock in the UK yet. I had a ride on the 54 carbon which has same geometry - only real difference was the frame material, the rear Isospeed Decoupler which I didn't want and the tyres are tubeless ready. It's about a 100g lighter too and tbh wasn't worth another £1000 to me over the one I've ordered.

Will be interested to hear from someone re the limited supply position following the big press launch the day before yesterday.

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
I am in the US but will ask my brother who works in our LBS here if it is the norm. He was just telling me last week about Trek's new models and the excitement at the shop, as well as one from Surly he's keen on getting. I know they do keep a fair few on hand of the Domane but maybe yours is an unusual size?

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

I am in the US but will ask my brother who works in our LBS here if it is the norm. He was just telling me last week about Trek's new models and the excitement at the shop, as well as one from Surly he's keen on getting. I know they do keep a fair few on hand of the Domane but maybe yours is an unusual size?

54cm - pretty mainstream size. Not seen the new Surly.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Most bicycle brands will plan a model to last at least one year, hopefully more; they will schedule production to arrive in several drops during the life of that model. They can then potentially tweak the figures of later production runs in line with demand.

It's quite common place that the initial first drop of a new model is quite small to 'test the water'. Dealers will often have an idea that a new model is in the pipeline, the model it replaces will have no scheduled delivery dates listed anymore for example, although we don't know the exact details until much nearer the time. Trek launched the new Checkpoint to selected dealers on the 20th February for a launch date to the Public Friday 2nd March. Each dealer was restricted to what we could order. Again that's common place, a brand will understandably want country wide representation to showcase a new model, often the entire first drop by the time the model is launched to the public is already pre-sold into the dealer network.

Supply and demand is a delicate balancing act to get right on every level, for obvious reasons high numbers is desirable, yet when something is so popular it's in short supply that can create a beneficial sense of exclusivity that arguably can also be of benefit. Factor in that many bicycle brands although they may have a unique model range the actual manufacture of these models is outsourced to someone else, who no doubt also manufacture for other brands, each will have a pre-booked time slot. There will potentially be some flexibility in production dates as well as quantities, but often these slots will be set up to run near capacity, so it's not unusual for a bike that was more popular than anticipated to be in very short supply.

This out sourcing of manufacture is where I have seen the largest change in my 30 year career. Back when I started Raleigh and Dawes made their own bikes, to an extent they had followed the same formula as they had been for many years prior, factories making steel bikes in the same way they had done for generations; evolution was slow. These days a bicycle brand will often focus far more on research and development, perhaps their range will have unique features that are quite straightforward to manufacturer that they can then potentially 'patent' in a bid to protect their 'USP'. All they have really done is compartmentalise what they are good at, it's good business, otherwise the 'Raleigh' and 'Dawes' business model of thirty years ago would still be going! Probably worth noting that they were also often running at capacity; they would often run out of stock as well!

On one level it makes me sad that both Raleigh and Dawes are no longer manufacture bikes in the UK, I was always proud to sell them referencing "made in the UK". But, as many a business guru has no doubt referenced, an expensive phrase in business can be “We have always done it that way!”; both Raleigh and Dawes proved that arguably that applies! On the upside modern bikes can be rather lovely to ride and own.

All the above doesn't just apply to Trek, many brands who have a similar business model.

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
54cm - pretty mainstream size. Not seen the new Surly.
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/...t-special-pricing-details-availability-51760/
The Checkpoint looks like a great bike. I don't get why Trek says 'no 650B' though, no reason why those wheels & tyres wouldn't work. Litespeed didn't say the first version of the T5 G (which I have) would take 650s, but a dealer tried it, Litespeed clearly approved because they retweeted this…
branford-t5g-7.jpg

si_c

Guru
I reckon that the 650b wheels will fit, but Trek don't have an in-house 650b wheel, so they aren't going to produce one if they don't need to.

OP
OP
SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey

Most bicycle brands will plan a model to last at least one year, hopefully more; they will schedule production to arrive in several drops during the life of that model. They can then potentially tweak the figures of later production runs in line with demand.

It's quite common place that the initial first drop of a new model is quite small to 'test the water'. Dealers will often have an idea that a new model is in the pipeline, the model it replaces will have no scheduled delivery dates listed anymore for example, although we don't know the exact details until much nearer the time. Trek launched the new Checkpoint to selected dealers on the 20th February for a launch date to the Public Friday 2nd March. Each dealer was restricted to what we could order. Again that's common place, a brand will understandably want country wide representation to showcase a new model, often the entire first drop by the time the model is launched to the public is already pre-sold into the dealer network.

Supply and demand is a delicate balancing act to get right on every level, for obvious reasons high numbers is desirable, yet when something is so popular it's in short supply that can create a beneficial sense of exclusivity that arguably can also be of benefit. Factor in that many bicycle brands although they may have a unique model range the actual manufacture of these models is outsourced to someone else, who no doubt makes for other brands, each will have a pre-booked time slot of when each is actually manufactured. There will potentially be some flexibility in production dates as well as quantities, but often these slots will be set up to run near capacity, so it's not unusual for a a bike that was more popular than anticipated to be in very short supply.

This out sourcing of manufacture is where I have seen the largest change in my 30 year career. Back when I started Raleigh and Dawes made their own bikes, to an extent they had followed the same formula as they had been for many years prior, factories making steel bikes in the same way they had done for generations; evolution was slow. These days a bicycle brand will often focus far more on research and development, perhaps their range will have unique features that are quite straightforward to manufacturer that they can they then potentially 'patent'. All they have done is compartmentalise what they are good at, it's good business, otherwise the Raleigh and Dawes model of thirty years ago would still be going! Probably worth noting that they were often running at capacity as well; they would often run out of stock as well!

On one level it makes me sad that both Raleigh and Dawes are no longer manufacture bikes in the UK, I was always proud to sell them referencing "made in the UK". But, as many a business guru has no doubt referenced, an expensive phrase in business can be “We have always done it that way!”; both Raleigh and Dawes proved that arguably that applies! On the upside modern bikes can be rather lovely to ride and own.

All the above doesn't just to Trek, many brands who have a similar business model.

Thank you for the very comprehensive & excellent answer.

As a slight aside I have often wondered why the cycle industry adheres to the 'model year' system especially as next years models availability often pre-dates the actual year by some margin. Case in point being the Checkpoint which is a 2019 model available 10 months early.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Thank you for the very comprehensive & excellent answer.

As a slight aside I have often wondered why the cycle industry adheres to the 'model year' system especially as next years models availability often pre-dates the actual year by some margin. Case in point being the Checkpoint which is a 2019 model available 10 months early.
For quite some time bicycle model 'years' have run from late summer or early autumn, as apposed to 1st January to December 31st. Models introduced at this time of year would normally be referenced as the following model year. This does often confuse many, especially as many of the second drop of the 2018 models launched late 2017 have still not arrived.

@Elybazza61 is in the trade maybe?

Yep

Supply and demand is a delicate balancing act to get right on every level, for obvious reasons high numbers is desirable, yet when something is so popular it's in short supply that can create a beneficial sense of exclusivity that arguably can also be of benefit. Factor in that many bicycle brands although they may have a unique model range the actual manufacture of these models is outsourced to someone else, who no doubt makes for other brands, each will have a pre-booked time slot of when each is actually manufactured. There will potentially be some flexibility in production dates as well as quantities, but often these slots will be set up to run near capacity, so it's not unusual for a a bike that was more popular than anticipated to be in very short supply.

This out sourcing of manufacture is where I have seen the largest change in my 30 year career. Back when I started Raleigh and Dawes made their own bikes, to an extent they had followed the same formula as they had been for many years prior, factories making steel bikes in the same way they had done for generations; evolution was slow. These days a bicycle brand will often focus far more on research and development, perhaps their range will have unique features that are quite straightforward to manufacturer that they can then potentially 'patent'. All they have done is compartmentalise what they are good at, it's good business, otherwise the Raleigh and Dawes model of thirty years ago would still be going! Probably worth noting that they were often running at capacity as well; they would often run out of stock as well!

All the above doesn't just to Trek, many brands who have a similar business model.

This^

And this v

For quite some time bicycle model 'years' have run from late summer or early autumn, as apposed to 1st January to December 31st. Models introduced at this time of year would normally be referenced as the following model year. This does often confuse many, especially as many of the second drop of the 2018 models launched late 2017 have still not arrived.

He is really liking the Midnight Special, it is a road bike without being a road bike. Can take 650b 60mm tires! I just wish it came in more colors, so far it is only in a white called 'Hot Mayonnaise' xx(:laugh:

It is a nice looking thing (haven't seen one in the flesh yet though) ;but the price is a bit high here especially as it seems to be specced with cable disc brakes

http://www.ison-distribution.com/english/product.php?part=5SUMS40W

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
Top Bottom