Trek Domane AL2 Disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Couple of these in showroom today and caught my eye as I was collecting some new pedals. I thought they where the much higher end Domane, lovely thick blue paint and smart looking frame. Nearly fell over when looked at tag.....Domane AL2 £800
5FBB54A7-F88B-4CFA-B1CE-088BE6F270BB.jpeg

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
Great looking bike for £800 :okay:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Nice enough bike I suppose, but it's a Domane in name only. The main USP of the Domane is the front and rear ISO speed coupler. The aluminium frames have neither..

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
The Domane is a range of bikes and like many things each is the sum of it's parts, yes the cheaper AL2 version may lack the IsoSpeed element of the higher end models but it still retains other features like an endurance frame geometry, mudguard clearance and an overall set up aimed at a similar riding experience; I personally still think it's valid to be categorised as a Domane.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Just Bought the AL3 - its a cracking looking bike and well worth the extra money of the AL2

View attachment 580215
Nice and Thru Axles:okay:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Great looking bike but overpriced at £800 with Claris running gear, would expect Sora as minimum for that price tag.

Would rather save some dish and get the rim brake version for cheaper. https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/...d-bikes/domane/domane-al/domane-al-2/p/33037/ or I would rather spend the extra £100 and get Sora with the AL3 https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/...omane-al-3-disc/p/33082/?colorCode=grey_black
Its a great colour scheme in the blue, and good to see a rim brake version, that would be where my money would go if I were in the market.. Claris works really reliably, I doubt once your used to it you'd notice the extra couple of gear jumps from "only" have 8 at the rear.

I run Claris R2000 shifters with R2400 Claris front and rear mechs. It works reliably, no missed gear changes. I do need to change the rear brake cable as it is fraying inside the shifter body but that is because I was messing round with the cabling when swapping the black brake calipers out for another pair in silver which I thought where long reach but were not.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I run Claris R2000 shifters with R2400 Claris front and rear mechs. It works reliably, no missed gear changes. I do need to change the rear brake cable as it is fraying inside the shifter body but that is because I was messing round with the cabling when swapping the black brake calipers out for another pair in silver which I thought where long reach but were not.
I'd sort the cable sooner rather than later, a bit of frayed cable inside a shifter can cause problems, not to mention the fact that of one thing on your bike you need to work reliably is the brakes.....

D

Deleted member 1258

Couple of these in showroom today and caught my eye as I was collecting some new pedals. I thought they where the much higher end Domane, lovely thick blue paint and smart looking frame. Nearly fell over when looked at tag.....Domane AL2 £800
View attachment 564410

That looks neat, for £800 I'd expect it to be further up the food chain then claris, but I presume it'll all works as it should and it can be upgraded as things wear out.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Thru axles are now the new standard, doesnt make it more expensive or QR cheaper..........but ive had enough of snobs and trolls, so dont bother replying.
It was intended as a light hearted joke jowwy :hugs:lighten up a bit lad.

the original comments on the other thread were never about cheap or expensive, it was the fact that that TA are the new standard with Discs and it make them slower to change a wheel mid race.

Top Bottom