Trek Domane AL2 Disc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
That looks neat, for £800 I'd expect it to be further up the food chain then claris, but I presume it'll all works as it should and it can be upgraded as things wear out.
Not these days unfortunately on a branded bike

I'd sort the cable sooner rather than later, a bit of frayed cable inside a shifter can cause problems, not to mention the fact that of one thing on your bike you need to work reliably is the brakes.....
It is on my list to do soon. The bike is parked up at the moment as I’m too busy with work and family life to fettle it.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The Merida Speeder 300 I was looking at earlier, now out of stock, is Tiagra for around £875.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Merida-Speeder-300-2021-Hybrid-Sports-Bike_230773.htm
but only the front and rear mech - the rest is just generic shimano

its also a flat bar road bike so brakes and shifters are of the cheaper end........i think those breaks can be had for £25 and the shifters around the same price.........you wouldn't get tiagra hydraulic brakes and shifters for less than £350 on a drop bar road bike

casing point - the AL3 is sora for 995.....the next is the AL4 and thats hydraulic disc brakes and thats circa £1500

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

but only the front and rear mech - the rest is just generic shimano

its also a flat bar road bike so brakes and shifters are of the cheaper end........i think those breaks can be had for £25 and the shifters around the same price.........you wouldn't get tiagra hydraulic brakes and shifters for less than £350 on a drop bar road bike

casing point - the AL3 is sora for 995.....the next is the AL4 and thats hydraulic disc brakes and thats circa £1500

According to the spec given on the site the brakes are hydraulic, either Shimano BR-MT200 or Tektro HD-M275, shifters and mechs are both Tiagra, its 2 x 10 speed and to me it looks like a good package for the price,

jowwy

According to the spec given on the site the brakes are hydraulic, either Shimano BR-MT200 or Tektro HD-M275, shifters and mechs are both Tiagra, its 2 x 10 speed and to me it looks like a good package for the price,
But its not all tiagra which is what you stated originally........your getting a mix and match groupset and not a full tiagra groupset.

its like saying the spec us dura ace but you only get the mechs and not the crankset, brakes, shifters and cables......

D

Deleted member 1258

But its not all tiagra which is what you stated originally........your getting a mix and match groupset and not a full tiagra groupset.

its like saying the spec us dura ace but you only get the mechs and not the crankset, brakes, shifters and cables......

if you read the product description thats how it come over, thats what I was reading when I first posted, its only when I read the specification again that it shows it as a mix and match. Its been a month or more since I seriously looked into it and I'd forgotten that, since then my plans for a new bike have been put on hold. I recon its still good for the money as a mix and match.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
.your getting a mix and match groupset and not a full tiagra groupset.
...only because Tiagra flat bar hydraulic disc brakes don't exist, everything else is Tiagra, so its not really mix and match.

It also shows how we get a bit ripped of on drop bars (flat bar shifters are maybe cheaper to produce being inherently simpler) or maybe its a Merida vs Trek thing, as for similar money, the merida gets hydro disc brakes and Tiagra vs tektro mechanical discs and Sora

D

Deleted member 1258

...only because Tiagra flat bar hydraulic disc brakes don't exist, everything else is Tiagra, so its not really mix and match.

It also shows how we get a bit ripped of on drop bars (flat bar shifters are maybe cheaper to produce being inherently simpler) or maybe its a Merida vs Trek thing, as for similar money, the merida gets hydro disc brakes and Tiagra vs tektro mechanical discs and Sora

I didn't know that Tiagra flat bar hydraulic discs aren't available, its been six years since I last brought a new bike, but that explains the brakes.

jowwy

Crankset is also not tiagra or the bottom bracket or the wheel hubs...........so yes it is a mix and match

also the merida is a flatbar......price up hydraulic drisc brakes and shifters for a drop bar and see what the cost is??? And the merida is NOT getting full tiagra, were as the Trek is full sora.....sora mechs, sora cranks, sora shifters, shimano BB, but they dont do sora discs, so they get tektro.

come on its not rocket science to see where the merida has scrimp on components to meet the 800+ cost.

D

Deleted member 1258

Crankset is also not tiagra or the bottom bracket or the wheel hubs...........so yes it is a mix and match

also the merida is a flatbar......price up hydraulic drisc brakes and shifters for a drop bar and see what the cost is??? And the merida is NOT getting full tiagra, were as the Trek is full sora.....sora mechs, sora cranks, sora shifters, shimano BB, but they dont do sora discs, so they get tektro.

come on its not rocket science to see where the merida has scrimp on components to meet the 800+ cost.

crankset is Tiagra 10 speed with Hollow tech Bottom bracket similar to my tiagra equiped Eastway, yes I'm sure they will have scrimped somewhere to get the price down, but its still a good package, I'd have it rather than have the Trek

T4tomo

Legendary Member

You could start an argument in an empty room!😂
If you read what I put, I pointed out drop bar shifters are more expensive than flat bar, which does explain the better spec for the price. I'm reassured you agree with me, I think

BTW:
https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/tiagra-4600/FC-RS400.html
That crankset you reckon isn't Tiagra.....
🤔

Top Bottom