Trek the Mongrel,,,

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another re-vamp for the old Trek hybrid:rolleyes:

Was first re-built as a single speed bike as shown in this thread;

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/n-2-trek-hybrid-conversion-done-just-about.168048/

And has been briefly set-up as a shopping bike with SRAM gears/single chainring and flat bars.

Now it's in the process of being changed to a tourer come hack come sometime commuter.

So far it's had a set of Deda drop bars with old flight deck 105 shifters on,an old Deore 9-speed rear mech running in 10-spd with a 10 spd cassette on the original rear wheel.

The shifters are a bit iffy with the v-brakes so some adjuster pipes are on the way.

But a chance spot on another forum has bagged a set of carbon/ally steerer forks which will take a spare road caliper and an FSA CX chainset which will be used with the top-pull cx mech I have which used to be on the Planet X.

So some pics! Only rubbish quick phone ones so far with the forks 'dry' fitted to see how they look;

IMG_20160908_053856689.jpg
IMG_20160908_054038608.jpg

Plan is if we do some touring(better half needs a bike first!) it may get a better set of wheels possibly hand-builts(say Archetypes on Novatec or Miche hubs),and might get it re-sprayed but I sort of like the mongrel look^_^.

More to coma as progress(hopefully) is made.

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
As a mechanical numpty I've always admired people who can take things apart and change them around. I'm sure I could cobble something together with years or patient teaching from someone, but find it much more pleasurable to see the progress of other people's projects and work.

Good luck. ^_^

OP
OP
Elybazza61

Elybazza61

Guru
Little update today.

Got the chainset on with a newish 48t ring put on;just need to put a new chain on as the old one is now too short but it was on it's last legs anyway.

Also got the crown race on the forks and one of the old 105 calipers on as they need a long drop and all ok.

Got to wait for the adjustable pipe/noodle thing for the rear brakes and fit the chain and connect the cx front mech which has also been put on.

Some more pics;

IMG_20160909_193219871.jpg
IMG_20160909_193042524.jpg
IMG_20160909_193126565.jpg
IMG_20160909_192946463.jpg

Top Bottom