Trek's idea of a warranty.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DLB

i've had my trek 7.1 for about 10 months now and the rear axle has snapped. I was quite surprised to find that Trek will not replace it under the 12 month warranty. The LBS couldn't give me a reason for this refusal.

Why won't they replace it and why isn't it covered under the warranty? What is covered under a bike warranty?

sloxam

i thought the warranty was only on the frames, not on the wheels.

Abitrary

This interests me too, as the LBS stressed that trek do good warranties when I bought mine.

I had problems with a car warranty once, to do with a few things going wrong when an engine mounting broke, and they refused to pay up citing something to do with moving parts.

Took me about 3 months of complaining, but they paid up eventually. I'm sure if you do the same and think the time is worth it then Trek will do the same just to get you off their backs.

Abitrary

Think they told me it was lifetime for the frame, and 12 months for other parts.... can't remember exactly though

Moondog

Sorry to hear of your troubles but in my opinion it is your local LBS that is avoiding the issue.Your sales contract is with them not Trek.

Have a look at the dti fact sheet that covers the Sale of Goods act.
Google quickly finds the pages.It's a long URL

It is easy for small traders to hide (perhaps not intentionally) from their obligations.

Be firm.I was once told upon returning a camping chair that lasted one week that the shop had heard of the Sale of Goods Act..but they didn't subscribe to it.

Nick

Danny

Legendary Member
The Advice Guide website, which is run by Citizens Advice, also has a useful section on consumer rights.

Moodog is right, under the sale of goods act you are entitled to expect a bike axle to last a reasonable period of time - which is certainly more than 10 months!

What brand is the hub?

Express your discontent (politely and firmly) to the shop and retain the broken axle.

Then contact Trek and the hub manufacturer for advice.

I had a similar problem with a helmet, and it was the shop, not the Company playing around. Ended up with a free helmet and a refund including costs!

Abitrary

I find that 50% of the time, with whatever bike shop, something has been done wrong, or I'm not happy with it.

I do find that 100% of the time that if I can be bothered to go and complain then they are *more* than helpful, and will even give you freebies

OP
OP
D

DLB

Thanks for the replies.

i will complain (politely but firmly) to the LBS and see if i get any joy from them. It's only £15 for them to fit another one so it's not like it's hundreds of pounds.

if i get no joy i'll contact Trek and see what they say.

Cunobelin - I'm not sure what type the hub is.

for what it's worth, the LBS said when i first took the wheel in that they didn't think that Trek would repair it but they did send it off to Trek when i asked them to.

twowheelsgood

Need some of the resident lawyers.

All goods sold in the UK should be "fit for purpose". If you have been riding your bike in the manner it was designed for, you are entitled to "reject" it and demand a replacement or repair within a reasonable timeframe under consumer law. It would be up to the retailer to demonstrate that you broke this through abuse or unreasonable use of the product like riding 100,000km on something that could never be engineered to do this.

I thought all goods sold in the EU were subject to 2 years cover.

I think they are trying to fob you off myself - and it's nothing to do with Trek's warrantee (the frame and they are in my experience extremely good at honouring this) it basic consmer law.

chris42

Trek in my experience has a fantastic attitude!
I have had a frame replaced after 18 months use
2 rear race X lite wheels after 22 months of use and a carbon stem replaced as the chrome plating was pealing off.
All free of charge!
I'd call Trek directly and see if the LBS has even contacted them

OP
OP
D

DLB

chris42 said:
I'd call Trek directly and see if the LBS has even contacted them

Fantastic idea if i could get a phone number for them I've searched their website and can only find numbers for dealers......so i've phoned a local dealer and asked him about my situation. He said that he thought it was unusual for a hybrid back axle to break and that he would go with whatever Trek said when the wheel was returned to them. He also said that Trek will lok very carefully (even under a microscope) to see if there was a defect with the part and only if there was a defect will they cover it. I guess with my wheel they found no defect.

i'm not sure what to do now. According to the guy i spoke to compaining to the LBS will be a waste of time. If anybody has a number for Trek please let me know.....

barq

I had some issues with a Trek a few years back when the bearings in a pedal ground themselves into dust. The LBS told me they told me Trek wouldn't cover it as the bike had been abused. When I contacted Trek I was told they weren't covering it because they'd been told by the LBS the bike had been abused. I distinctly got the impression the LBS guy did it just to be an arse.

You can try fighting it and I'm sure a phone call to Trek wouldn't hurt. I guess much of the problem is that so many shops feel free to blame the manufacturer and shirk their legal duties.

Good luck.

Top Bottom