Tri/TT riders low cadence and big gears ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I see quite a few of what look like Tri or TT riders when i'm out, always going in the opposite direction of course and more often than not cruising along at an insane pace but turning the pedals real slow, looks like 70rpm (very rough guess but certainly slow).

They usually take the flatter routes in the area and hence based on their bikes and the way they are specced up i assume they are either into Tri or TT, think there's quite a few triathletes around my area, not sure about TT though ?

I am just imagining they pedal that slow or is that normal for Tri/TT ?

Sharky

Guru
Apart from the start or the turn, there is no need to accelerate, which is where lower gears would be effective. In a tt, once you get to your cruising speed, a higher gear is probably the norm. So there is a tendency to ride bigger gears at lower cadence.

But the good riders will ride the big gears at a high cadence. I think Chris Boardman took the 25 record riding a 110 fixed at a cadence of 102.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Higher cadence is the aim for racing but remember you are seeing them out training not racing so they may be working on other things like position or testing equipment .

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
Yes they'll be on training laps i guess, and they do seem to very fixed, i mean the only thing moving is their legs, like ducks on water with the top half seemingly doing nothing and the legs slowly driving it all along, very impressive vs me being a fidget pants:laugh:

Will have to get to see a TT one day, think there used to be one occasionally near my folks place just outside Knutsford.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A couple of observations.

Steve Abraham, on the couple of occasions that I've seen him riding and seen him on video, has a noticeable slow, smooth cadence. He seems almost lazy like he's cooling down. (Mind you he wasn't TT ing, but gunning for big distances day in day out)

I've just read a book on Beryl Burton and in her day TTers like BB and Alf Engers favoured higher gears.

The modern marginal gaining superstars doing things like hour records all seem to be around 100rpm.

Last edited:

Sharky

Guru
I've just read a book on Beryl Burton and in her day TTers like BB and Alf Engers favoured higher gears.
Although we often look back at these riders and say they used big gears, it's unlikely that they used bigger than a 55 or 56 chain ring and the smallest on the back would have been 13. A 56x13 gives a gear of 113".

But today's casual riders often ride with a 50x11 top gear, which equates to a 120"!

screenman

Legendary Member
Two times BBAR champion Nik Bowdler, 77tooth I think.

1588153035705.png

screenman

Legendary Member
I mean he probably didn't think the 77T was much faster than a 56T, but he liked having one, and liked persuading the other testers that his biggest advantage was having a 77T.

(bit like 11 on your Volume dial ....)

I prefer to think he knew what worked for him and quite well it seems.

Top Bottom