Tri/TT riders low cadence and big gears ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Although we often look back at these riders and say they used big gears, it's unlikely that they used bigger than a 55 or 56 chain ring and the smallest on the back would have been 13. A 56x13 gives a gear of 113".

But today's casual riders often ride with a 50x11 top gear, which equates to a 120"!
Another reason for the myth that BB and AR road big gears is that only a few years earlier, everybody was still riding fixed for TT's and gears would have only been in the 80's and low 90's. I think it was 1963 when the 25 was first won using gears. So in those days, they were using big gears but in comparison to today's riders they would have been "normal" gearing.

johnnyb47

Guru
I have a bad habit of turning the peddles at to low a cadence. Forcing the peddles with brut force against spinning has caused me knee problems. This year I've been making conscious efforts to make use of all the gears and spin instead of grinding. My knees are feeling so much better for it.I feel that grinding away in to high a gear increases muscle strength but it puts extra pressure and strain on your knee joints ect. I could also imagine you would also wear out your chain and cassette quickly to. My old Peugeot bike which I've been slogging high gears on through the winter has got a worn out cassette now on just one gear. If i would of used my gears more efficiently the cassette would still be in good order

Last edited:

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I have a bad habit of turning the peddles at to low a cadence. Forcing the peddles with brut force against spinning has caused me knee problems. This year I've been making couscous efforts to make use of all the gears and spin instead of grinding. My knees are feeling so much better for it.I feel that grinding away in to high a gear increases muscle strength but it puts extra pressure and strain on your knee joints ect. I could also imagine you would also wear out your chain and cassette quickly to. My old Peugeot bike which I've been slogging high gears on through the winter has got a worn out cassette now on just one gear. If i would of used my gears more efficiently the cassette would still be in good order

Nothing to add to the subject of the OP sorry, but this is a rather splendid autocorrect.

Last edited:
Top Bottom