Triban 3a or 5a?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Veganpower

Hi guys and girls,

after reading excellent reviews of the Triban 3 I decided that would be my first road bike. Went to Decathlon yesterday only to find out that I can't have one in my size as its end of line. As a guide I was asked to try out the frame sizes on the 5a. As a side note the sales guy said I look more comfortable on a 60cm frame although the size guide say 58 for 5.10!!!

Anyway, I loved the 5a it felt great but is it work the extra £130? I'm not keen on the idea of paying £299 for a 3a sine the 3 is the same price but a better bike!

any thoughts on the 3a or 5a would be greatly appreciated. I'm a newb to road bikes and I don't want to make the wrong decision. I'm soooo tempted to go back after work and grab a 5a. Helpppp.

vickster

Legendary Member
5a, better groupset, carbon fork - you'll only regret it

5'10, I think a 57cm triban should be right as they come up a little small. I am about the same height and ride 54cm road frames (it does of course depend on the geometry)

OP
OP
Veganpower

Veganpower

I got the pedals when I decided I wanted a road bike, he he. The only extra thing I need is shoes and lights. Although I do have my eye on a fancy helmet :blush:

I'm so tempted to grab one after work. Saying that the rain is coming heavy and I wouldn't want it to get wet on it's first day.

400bhp

Guru
Hi guys and girls,

after reading excellent reviews of the Triban 3 I decided that would be my first road bike. Went to Decathlon yesterday only to find out that I can't have one in my size as its end of line. As a guide I was asked to try out the frame sizes on the 5a. As a side note the sales guy said I look more comfortable on a 60cm frame although the size guide say 58 for 5.10!!!

Anyway, I loved the 5a it felt great but is it work the extra £130? I'm not keen on the idea of paying £299 for a 3a sine the 3 is the same price but a better bike!

any thoughts on the 3a or 5a would be greatly appreciated. I'm a newb to road bikes and I don't want to make the wrong decision. I'm soooo tempted to go back after work and grab a 5a. Helpppp.

Yes-wife has one. No contest IMO.

Kies

The 3a has an aluminium front fork and is not as good as the original T3 in red. You really need to be looking at the 5a now. Great bikes for the price point.

vickster

Legendary Member
Bikes don't melt in the rain...just be careful though of metal work, white lines and big puddles hiding nasty potholes

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Go for the 5a, you won't regret it! Great bikes by all accounts. I always feel more comfortable on a slightly bigger frame than recommended.

OP
OP
Veganpower

Veganpower

I got it :hyper::hyper::hyper:. I rode it home and all seemed good but I don't think Decathlon did a good job on the gears - but I wont judge until I go for a proper run.

Thankfully I didn't get wet on the way home. I live in a shared house so the only place I can keep it is upstairs in my bedroom. Hence me wanting the bike to be dry-ish. No fun carrying it up the stairs desperately trying to to touch the frame on any walls or doors. There is no way my bike is going in the shed.

i would post a photo but I'm sure you all know what it looks like. Thanks for the info and encouragement.

subaqua

What’s the point
5A now the original red 3 are on last stocks.

frame sizes are what suits you not what anybody on the internet tells you what you need. use the numbers as a starting point and ride round decathlon lots. nobody will mind

OP
OP
Veganpower

Veganpower

@Booyaa I'll take a photo tomorrow when I go for a ride. ^_^

@subaqua I had fun testing the different frames, almost ran down a few shoppers :gun:

One question remains..... is it too late to go out for a ride?

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I got it :hyper::hyper::hyper:. I rode it home and all seemed good but I don't think Decathlon did a good job on the gears - but I wont judge until I go for a proper run.

Thankfully I didn't get wet on the way home. I live in a shared house so the only place I can keep it is upstairs in my bedroom. Hence me wanting the bike to be dry-ish. No fun carrying it up the stairs desperately trying to to touch the frame on any walls or doors. There is no way my bike is going in the shed.

i would post a photo but I'm sure you all know what it looks like. Thanks for the info and encouragement.

Go buy yourself some cheap baby wipes, Sainsburys/Tesco/Asda own brand will be fine. 2 minute wipe down of the bike before you take it into the house, job done.

Top Bottom