Triban 3a or 5a?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Veganpower

Veganpower

Thanks for the tips on baby wipes. I'll grab some tomorrow.

@Easytigers I'll put some photos up and my thoughts on the ride tomorrow. Although I've very rider a road bike before so my thoughts may be "my bum hurts". Saying that, the saddle seems really comfy.

400bhp

Guru
By the way, the Triban is really easy to clean because of the matt finish on the paintwork and the plastic protection strips in all the right places.

OP
OP
Veganpower

Veganpower

I woke up at 8.00am and spent an hour building up the enthusiasm to take my maiden voyage in the torrential rain. I don't have anything waterproof yet and the gloves I picked up yesterday were the wrong size, oh and I don't have a bottle cage yet so I had to take a small rucksack. Luckily I found some old fingerless MTB gloves or my hands would have froze.

Anyway... I'm soaked to my boxers, frozen and I take it back that my seat is comfy but I feel great. I may go back out tomorrow, (my bum and giggleberries took a beating but I suspect I'll get use to it).

I did 20.8 km here's the strava

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Did you get shoes with cleats -
Only asking as I am about to put some up on here (new/boxed) but deleted model as I bought wrong size & never returned them.
As soon as I can figure out how to do links & post photos on here anyway.
Anyway - what I meant to say was - if your gearing/indexing seems out after 2 - 3 rides take it back in & have them go over it again.
It is a big purchase after all.

Great looking bike!!! Well done fella. Good effort for your first outing btw :-) Not sure of how windy it was there but it made today's ride a bit of a headache!
Russ

OP
OP
Veganpower

Veganpower

Great looking bike!!! Well done fella. Good effort for your first outing btw :-) Not sure of how windy it was there but it made today's ride a bit of a headache!
Russ

Thanks, I'm glad I did go out today. I know now I can enjoy a ride in any weather (apart from snow and ice). Coming back I had a head wind which was a pain.

I have a new found respect for road cyclists. I understand now that we need more room than just the gutter. It's rough there and I don't want to hurt my bike, also I found I needed a racing line around some of the fast bends. Some of the cars did annoy me but I guess it's not their fault as they just don't understand half the time. I hit a hidden pot hole on the way back, I'm probably being dramatic, but it felt like I almost dislocated my arm!!! fortunately no damage was done to the bike (which was my first concern).

OP
OP
Veganpower

Veganpower

Only asking as I am about to put some up on here (new/boxed) but deleted model as I bought wrong size & never returned them.
Anyway - what I meant to say was - if your gearing/indexing seems out after 2 - 3 rides take it back in & have them go over it again.

I got some Shimano PD-m520 when I knew I was getting a bike (I know they're for an MTB but them the ones I wanted). I've not put them on yet because I was still deciding on the shoes. funny enough that was what I'm looking at now. I was thinking about some Shimano M088 just because I like the look and I didn't want road shoes.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
I got some Shimano PD-m520 when I knew I was getting a bike (I know they're for an MTB but them the ones I wanted). I've not put them on yet because I was still deciding on the shoes. funny enough that was what I'm looking at now. I was thinking about some Shimano M088 just because I like the look and I didn't want road shoes.
Another good decision - that way if you ever go get a Mtb as well they are then interchangeable.
:thumbsup:

M520s are great...really easy to clip in and out of! If you've got any spare money, I'd invest in a track pump. You'll always be able to get your tyres up to 100psi+ easily (best £25 I ever spent!) and it'll prevent pinch punctures that can happen if your tyres aren't inflated enough.

subaqua

What’s the point
Decathlon like to do a "fettle check" at 6 weeks and if you talk nicely to them they will do another free one at 3 months IME . That taught me more on indexing just watching the mechanic than any book did.

Top Bottom