Triban 500 - what to do with it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derge

I'm new here so please be gentle.

I've recently got a proper road bike so my entry level Triban 500 is no longer needed. Trouble is, what to do with it? It's recently serviced, has almost completely new everything since I bought it, but it would be hard to sell as the frame is horribly scratched.

I've thought about sticking some wider tyres on it in an effort to make it into a "gravel" bike, but there's only clearance for 700x25.

That being said, has anyone successfully used a b-twin Triban for anything approaching a gravel bike? Can I get anything remotely useful for the clearance I have to make this into a tourer/gravel-lite bike?

I guess the other option is keep it for a winter bike. Or the neverending rain that we're having.

Sharky

Guru
That could be a challenge for some.
Welcome to the forum.

Use the Triban as a winter bike, or an indoor trainer bike and keep the proper bike for proper rides in the spring and summer next year.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
It’s always handy to have a spare bike… :whistle:

Or if you are lucky a few more spare ones

Welcome to the forum @derge

Alex321

Veteran

I've recently got a proper road bike so my entry level Triban 500 is no longer needed. Trouble is, what to do with it? It's recently serviced, has almost completely new everything since I bought it, but it would be hard to sell as the frame is horribly scratched.

I've thought about sticking some wider tyres on it in an effort to make it into a "gravel" bike, but there's only clearance for 700x25.

That being said, has anyone successfully used a b-twin Triban for anything approaching a gravel bike? Can I get anything remotely useful for the clearance I have to make this into a tourer/gravel-lite bike?

I guess the other option is keep it for a winter bike. Or the neverending rain that we're having.

Keep it. Both as a winter bike and as a spare when your main bike needs repairs.

The Triban 500 IS a "proper" road bike, just a relatively low level one.

Must be the rim brake version if you can only use 25mm tyres ?

Can it take full mudguards? If so I'd look to use it as a winter/wet ride bike. Full guards make a huge difference to enjoying riding in all weathers.

How come the frame got so scratched?

Top Bottom