Triban 520: Update :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
D

dude7691

Another 10kg of muscle on your legs, you do realise you are saying another 22lbs of muscle......is that you Robert..
.. View attachment 458916
I hear what you're saying don't worry I know it's ambitious, but I'm talking about over the next year that would be my goal. I'm extremely dedicated and I always ride hard (to the point where I'm close to fainting), and my legs are the only muscle I really push hard so I reckon that's where most of the new mass would go. My body fat % is under 8% but I'm going to aim for 4,000 calories a day, and try to convert as much of that into muscle as possible. My main point being that more muscle might not make me better in W/kg but it will improve my endurance and that's what I'm going for, I want to go for a century by the end of April.

@dude7691 just reading through the last couple of pages, how do you identify what your watts are? From Strava?

mattobrien

Guru
Just a good reference point for me to see my improvements :smile:

As the number is a guess then it isn’t a good measure for your improvements. You’d be better off doing the same 20 mile route once a week and seeing how your time gets better over the next six months.

Being a relatively well trained cyclist I can see that it is very likely your estimates are wrong, so any assumption about development using the wrong starting point is going to be wrong too.

I’m not wanting to dampen your spirits, but there is absolutely no point in talking power unless you are measuring it with a power meter.

Also, I don’t think adding 20 kgs of muscle will help your endurance. Unless you’re a sprinter then the extra weight is just going to slow you down.

Good luck in your endeavours and do keep us posted on progress.

You’d be amazed how far out estimated power can be, using things such as Strava. I’ve just invested in these

A7958613-8015-4FEC-90D3-52682E4F3921.jpeg

The estimates, versus reality are usually hilarious.

OP
OP
D

dude7691

@dude7691 just reading through the last couple of pages, how do you identify what your watts are? From Strava?
I use my trip computer to record my averages over different sections and on the last hill of 13% for 0.7 miles I was able to average 7mph over the section I've linked below, and I've run that through 3 different power calculators just on the internet and they're all showing between 295-305W which works out to approx 5.8W/kg just for that one section, which sounds about right to me considering I see many cyclists on that same hill as me and they're stopped and/or walking because it's just too much to get up with the awful surface (it is in disrepair now vs the google maps images). This is the road I'm on about: (from where I linked keep going up the hill to the junction that goes onto the A40)

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.817...4!1sTbJAjIdRROzEmLVY4s78dg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dude7691

As the number is a guess then it isn’t a good measure for your improvements. You’d be better off doing the same 20 mile route once a week and seeing how your time gets better over the next six months.

Being a relatively well trained cyclist I can see that it is very likely your estimates are wrong, so any assumption about development using the wrong starting point is going to be wrong too.

I’m not wanting to dampen your spirits, but there is absolutely no point in talking power unless you are measuring it with a power meter.

Also, I don’t think adding 20 kgs of muscle will help your endurance. Unless you’re a sprinter then the extra weight is just going to slow you down.

Good luck in your endeavours and do keep us posted on progress.
I agree there is very likely a discrepancy as estimates only go so far yeah, I might go to a gym and try to get some figures there on a trainer.

I know thank you :smile: I just like to get a rough idea even if it's off by a fair bit just gives me a rough figure at least.

Fair enough, I don't know a lot about how muscles work and stuff like that I just thought surely having more muscle would allow the lactic acid to be spread out over a larger area or something and thus increase your ability to respire aerobically for a bit longer at least, but not really sure. Might be worth speaking to a personal trainer to figure out what's best to do :smile:

mattobrien

Guru
I agree there is very likely a discrepancy as estimates only go so far yeah, I might go to a gym and try to get some figures there on a trainer.

I know thank you :smile: I just like to get a rough idea even if it's off by a fair bit just gives me a rough figure at least.

Fair enough, I don't know a lot about how muscles work and stuff like that I just thought surely having more muscle would allow the lactic acid to be spread out over a larger area or something and thus increase your ability to respire aerobically for a bit longer at least, but not really sure. Might be worth speaking to a personal trainer to figure out what's best to do :smile:
Speak to a cycling coach and not a personal trainer. I can let you have the details of mine if you like.

They are lush :biggrin: Can you let me know how far out your estimates were? Just interested, are the estimates biased too negatively or positively?
Strava was 60-75% low.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No power meters just this calculator :smile: Was doing about 7mph up that hill and generating around 383W and I only weigh 51.7kg :smile: It doesn't take into account the asphalt I cycle on is stupidly worn either the roads are just so rough round here. I should mention the total average gradient of that hill is 13.4% but the highest part is 18% possibly a bit more, and was generating 7.2W/kg on those parts, and 5.8W/kg overall on that section :smile: Averaged 2.6W/kg for the 2.5 hour ride based on this:

https://www.omnicalculator.com/sports/cycling-wattage

The calculator is rubbish I'm afraid. If generating 2.5w/kg, you'd be doing a far quicker ride. 7 plus w/kg is loads.

Ajax Bay

Guru
This is the road I'm on about: (from where I linked keep going up the hill to the junction that goes onto the A40)
I use my trip computer to record my average . . the hill of 13% for 0.7 miles I was able to average 7mph over the section I've linked below, and I've run that through 3 different power calculators just on the internet and they're all showing between 295-305W which works out to approx 5.8W/kg
As I said earlier: data error.
The Pembrokeshire climb (which I've ridden en route from Newport to Saundersfoot) rises from 21m to 98m (77m climb) over a distance of 1.6km (one mile) so an average gradient of less than 5%. Pump those data into your chosen 'power calculators' and get a more realistic guesstimate.
As others have said, though, you're getting out there and beasting it. Just keep a note of your best times up that and other local hills (the one above Gelli, for example) and that is the best evidence of the rise in your strength and fitness. If you feel the need to compare yourself with others, I understand there is an app called Strava which enables this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dude7691

Well done.

BTW, is the bike fitted with bosses for (full) mudguards and a rack ?
Thank you :smile:

Yes it is, I don't personally use them though as my routes aren't that muddy and I prefer a backpack for the limited weight I have to carry

OP
OP
D

dude7691

What was my power?[/QUOTE]
@dude7691 tofay I rode 45 miles, my elevation was 1,670 feet and my average speed was 19.0 mph. I weigh 75.5 kg and was on my good bike which weighs 7kg. Add another three kilos for clothes and kit.

What was my power?
According to that calculator roughly 160W average? That's really impressive just from looking at it, 19mph is really fast. I think this calculator is very poorly done actually looking at it because 19mph on my bike requires a tonne more effort than around 14mph which is where it feels most sustainable. Is elevation the height above sea level or your total altitude gain?

Top Bottom