Tricross owners...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JuanLobbe

Über Member
So took my new tricross for a muddy ramble yesterday including a comedy "off" on a canal path, with a very soft landing fortunately!
Reckon there are quire a few tricross owners on here, so let's see your bikes! Interested to see how people have specced/adapted their machines.. here's mine with rear rack, rear mudguard and an old set of eggbeaters added:
null_zps7fe0db9a.jpg

potsy

Rambler
Tricross Elite with added guards and rack, tyres replaced with Schwalbe Marathon Supreme.

guards.jpg

Brandane

Legendary Member
Mine....... 2009 version, which has never seen proper cyclocross action. If I want to get muddy, I use the MTB.. The Tricross has become more of an everyday bike, and doubles up for touring trips during the summer. So far it has done Way of the Roses, The Loire Valley (Nantes to Orleans), Normandy beaches (twice), Rotterdam to Zeebrugge, a few trips to England, and several in Scotland. Probably some I've forgotten too. Great bike IMHO..

Upgrades: Tiagra shifters and chainset, Brooks saddle (Charge Spoon sometimes), set of touring wheels with Shimano 105 hubs from Spa cycles, Continental 28mm tyres, Koolstop pads which transform the braking, mudguards, rack, lights etc...

dsc00331gg.jpg

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Might try the Koolstop pads as braking is certainly a weak spot for those without discs

OP
OP
JuanLobbe

JuanLobbe

Über Member
Some useful tips here! Any more for any more? Definitely going to switch to some narrower tyres - probably gatorskins or similar. Does anyone run tyres narrower than 28mm?

Joey Shabadoo

You can't run anything narrower than 28mm on the 19mm rims of a Tricross, or so I was told.

Brandane

Legendary Member
You can't run anything narrower than 28mm on the 19mm rims of a Tricross, or so I was told.

I ran mine on 26mm tyres with no problems. Have also used 32mm on the same rims. Sheldon Brown's site has a table somewhere which tells you what tyres are compatible with different rim sizes.

Edit... It's down this http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tyre-sizing.html page, scroll down to the green and red chart.

Might try the Koolstop pads as braking is certainly a weak spot for those without discs

The Koolstop salmons are good, as are the dual compound ones which I am using now.

Last edited:

potsy

Rambler
I ran mine with 25c Michelin Krylion's for a few hundred miles whilst my road bike was awaiting repair, seemed fine.
That's the great thing about these kind of bikes, one day they can be a 'beefed up' road bike the next a decent off roader, or perfect commuter with rack/paniers with full guards :thumbsup:

Joey Shabadoo

I was just going by what the bike shop who sold me it told me. Happy to be wrong ^_^

I'm happy with my 28s and 35s, which cover most eventualities.

Well, I say "happy", I've got a notion to find out the fattest tyres I can fit then having a go at some heavier xcountry stuff :evil:

potsy

Rambler
I was just going by what the bike shop who sold me it told me. Happy to be wrong ^_^

I'm happy with my 28s and 35s, which cover most eventualities.

Well, I say "happy", I've got a notion to find out the fattest tyres I can fit then having a go at some heavier xcountry stuff :evil:
Like Sheldon, they were probably just playing it safe, I too think 28's are about as narrow as you need go, especially if you're not exclusively on road :thumbsup:

Top Bottom