Tricross Single Cross

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Been thinking of getting one for a while now for the commute. Does any one have one and are they any good?

In particular do the brake leavers on the drops work or are they just for show seeing as there are leavers on the flat part of the bars? Reason being, I don't get on with drops and would more than likely swap for flat bar and bar ends and won't have to do anything with the brake levers.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There are a number of folk on here with them.......all seem happy with them.... I'll let the 'experts' tell you.

Oddjob62

andylaw79 said:
In particular do the brake leavers on the drops work or are they just for show seeing as there are leavers on the flat part of the bars?

From what i've heard the drop brakes are fine, but the cross levers are pretty crap due to the brakes being v-brakes. Swapping the brakes for cantis might help.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
RedBike said:
If your commute is on the road and you want flat bars anyway then the tri-cross probably isn't the bike for you.

Probably not the best example as its rather 'Marmite' coloured (You either love it or hate it) but have you seen this?
http://www.cyclehouse.net/products.php?plid=m1b70s336p1141&rs=gbhttp://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/115700.html

That has got to be the worst suggestion for a different bike going.
That freestyle plug will be pretty crap for a commute, and its pretty heavy. Oh, and its crap for what they designed it for, it cant do bar spins because the front wheel cant spin around.
If i were you, and you could get the tricross cheap enough, id go for it, and either put bull horns on and use the brake levers that are already with it, or get some flats/risers and different brake levers cheap and use that.
Ive just changed the bars on my cheapo fixed to flats and put some old BMX levers on.
This or this with flat bars on will do you better i think.

Joe24

You'd have to change the brakes anyway. They work in-line to the drop brakes, so I don't think they'd work without them.

Didnt i say that?
Well i didnt say that they wouldnt work without being in line with the drop brake levers, but i did say that you will need new brake levers.

You could always chop the bars down just past the bend, turn the over to sit up and beg bars and use the drop brakes for that?
I did that and they were pretty darn comfy:thumbsup:

RedBike

That has got to be the worst suggestion for a different bike going.
That freestyle plug will be pretty crap for a commute, and its pretty heavy. Oh, and its crap for what they designed it for, it cant do bar spins because the front wheel cant spin around.

Ok, not the Charge then. I just picked a popular flat bar fixie."

I still think the tri-cross is unsuitable....

The brake arms wouldn't work with standard MTB V levers so you're looking a complete new braking system.

The gearing is probably a little low for use on the road so you'll have to change that.

The tyres are semi-slicks so if you're on road they'll need to be changed.

The forks have loads of mud-clearance but suffer from vibraion when used with powerful V-brakes so might need need to changed,

The frames geometry is optimised for a drop bar. A flat bar version would ideally have a longer top tube.

Joe24

The gearing is slightly too low, solve that by a 16t sprocket.
You can get flat bar levers that would work with those brakes.
Tyres leave on, or change them if you ahve enough.
Forks no idea.
Whether it would be good with flats, well why not? I have just put flats on a road bike. Is it going to come completely uncomfy? I very much doubt it.

RedBike

There's no reason why you can't just swap to flat bars you'll just be sat more upright, so not uncomfortable at all. But having paid £500 for a bike it doesn't make much sense to me to then pay a fortune to change everything.

There must be something better suited in the first place!

OP
OP
andylaw79

andylaw79

Über Member
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Joe - already considered the Pinnacle and it looks a decent enough bike for the cash and very capable for the commute, swapping for a flat bar and new levers wouldn't add too much in terms of money either, but not so good off road.

I should have mentioned in my first post that I'm currently commuting on a converted single speed MTB and have done a few weekends on the ruff stuff on it with a change of front ring and tyres, nothing too serious but could do damage on road bike. So was thinking the Tricross would be a good bike to step up to in terms of a better performance on the road and capable off as well.

If it going to be a hassle to swap the brakes then it may be worth giving the drops a second chance - its been at least 10 since last on a drop bike but I just didn't get on with them at all.

Actually I think I've just answered my own question, the MTB is good enough for off road - just get a single speed road bike for the commute. Problem solved, can't have too many bikes.

Joe24

Yep, id do that. Have a bike dedicated to off road, and a singlespeed(or maybe a fixed if your up for it) on the road.
Then you dont have to go about changing rings and tyres and stuff.
Give the drops a go, you never know, you might find you can get used to them.
If not, it isnt hard to change to flats, or you could even try bull horns, which would give you the flats with extensions on the side, and you can use the drop bars by cutting them down, and the brake levers.

Top Bottom