Tried to knock a bloke of his bike today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just last week a tosser on a track bike, riding on the pavement, at speed, cut up two girls in front of me scaring the $#!* out of them, then attempted to RLJ against traffic on a one way and got T boned by a cop in a civvy car. Oh how we laughed. I must get a helmet cam!!!!
He was not badly hurt but his bike was killed!

zimzum42

Legendary Member
While I was living in Singapore I had a daily battle with a Chinese woman who insisted on cycling aggressively along the pavement.

Every morning at around the same time, while I was waiting for my bus, she would cycle too fast through a narrow gap between bus stop benches and bollards at the side of the road.

It became quite good fun positioning myself so she would be forced to slow down or even get off...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
As a pedestrian its almost instinctive to move out of the way ... and then think why did I move after the event ... a couple of times I have held my ground and forced them to take the evading action. If someone chooses to cycle on the pavement then they run the risk of either hurting pedestrians or themselves - its one of the risks they run. Can't say I would actually push them but if they were about to bump into me I'd put up my hands to fend them off...

Yesterday I was over in Whitehall part of Bristol and from where I was sitting I saw nothing but bad cycling on this one stretch of road... everything from no handed texting, wrong side of the road, pavement, cycling in and out of each junction and one where the cyclist was on the wrong side getting in the way of the only cyclist I saw cycling normally. Given the number of lorries that were also using this road I'm surprised there wasn't an accident.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I don't have a problem with cyclists using the pavement as such, as long as they cycle exceptionally carefully and not at speed.

There's a section on my route where I arrive by bridle path onto a busy dual carriageway, and need to go right along it for about a mile, then right again. The second right has no actual right turn from the dual carriageway. It would be really problematic for me to cross the dual carriageway, cycle along it for a mile, then attempt to cross back over to take this other road.

So I cycle on the pavement for that section, on the side of the road I need to be on.

BUT. I cycle very carefully, slowing right down if there are any pedestrians and around corners.

NigC

benb said:
I don't have a problem with cyclists using the pavement as such, as long as they cycle exceptionally carefully and not at speed.

There's a section on my route where I arrive by bridle path onto a busy dual carriageway, and need to go right along it for about a mile, then right again. The second right has no actual right turn from the dual carriageway. It would be really problematic for me to cross the dual carriageway, cycle along it for a mile, then attempt to cross back over to take this other road.

So I cycle on the pavement for that section, on the side of the road I need to be on.

BUT. I cycle very carefully, slowing right down if there are any pedestrians and around corners.

I can't see any problem with that :wacko: I only ever use the path at clogged up junctions where it's impossible to filter. I do exactly the same - take it very slow and always give any pedestrians I encounter plenty of space. I know, technically it's ilegal, but I think a common sense approach is fine.

On the flip side, I have no problem with cyclists doing the same while I'm walking, but just occasionally there comes an idiot cycling at speed with no regard for pedestrians - they make me so mad ;)

The thing that bugs me - when I'm riding along a completely traffic-free residential road and there's this oik going parallel to me on the pavement (nearside or opposite). Sends me the message, we may be losing the 'cycling is/is not dangerous' argument...;)

There are a few - a very few - instances when pavement cycling (other than shared-use) is excusable. I've had occasions when the carriageway is completely non-navigable due to snow and ice, the only passable surface is the pavement. Or the road has just been re-surfaced. Or it's completely blocked by roadworks or accident. Or you need access to a private side entrance. Etc. etc. In such cases no more than walking pace is a must. And get off and walk if there's any possibility of conflict with pedestrians. Simple!

Mark_Robson

vbc said:
He saw that there wasn't going to be enough room to get between us but instead of slowing down, he gave a grin and stamped on the pedals, just squeezing between myself and the startled couple.
I have no problem with cyclists using the pavements as long as they ride slowly and give pedestrians right of way. But this guy wasn't doing either of those things. IMO he wouldn't have lost any sleep if he had injured any of the people on foot.
As I already stated my head tells me what the OP did was wrong but my heart tells me that the cyclist deserves a short sharp shock.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
mangaman said:
Pushing him off - I think that's a step too far - seriously you could hurt someone badly if they happen to fall unluckily. An aggressive shout is enough I reckon.
Well, as they are prepared to take the risk of hurting me and any others on the pavement, I'm willing to take the risk of hurting them. Seems only fair, IMO.

thomas

the tank engine
Mark_Robson said:
My sensible side is telling me what you did was wrong but my heart is saying good for you, the prick deserved it. ;)

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Well, as they are prepared to take the risk of hurting me and any others on the pavement, I'm willing to take the risk of hurting them. Seems only fair, IMO.

You're willing to actually knock someone off for cycling on the pavement? It could result in any number of injuries...a slight head bump could be very serious.

Yes, pavement cycling is annoying and ultimately I don't mind when done with consideration (which obviously wasn't the case here), but that does not excuse trying to push someone of their bike. If you've got a problem say something, otherwise don't start boasting about be some hard man.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
NigC said:
I can't see any problem with that :wacko: I only ever use the path at clogged up junctions where it's impossible to filter. I do exactly the same - take it very slow and always give any pedestrians I encounter plenty of space. I know, technically it's ilegal, but I think a common sense approach is fine.

On the flip side, I have no problem with cyclists doing the same while I'm walking, but just occasionally there comes an idiot cycling at speed with no regard for pedestrians - they make me so mad ;)

I occasionally use the path when it makes most sense to do so (for example, crossing a busy junction only to need to cross back 20 meters down the road) But I stay in a really low gear and ride at a brisk walking pace

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I have sympathies with the annoyance expressed, but it does seem wrong to want to knock the bloke off.

I once had some angry old man with a briefcase try to knock me off my skates on the pavement in the mistaken belief skaters aren't allowed on pavements. And I was behaving and skating carefully and slowly.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
thomas said:
You're willing to actually knock someone off for cycling on the pavement? It could result in any number of injuries...a slight head bump could be very serious.
Why is it okay for them to put peds at the same risk (higher, in fact) of head injury in the first place though?

I'm willing to continue walking at my own pace and line and if he/she cycles at speed past me without due consideration then I would have no qualms about protecting myself. I'm not saying I'd actively try to push them off by moving towards them or anything, but if they come too close and at speed I would defend my space.

Same thing with RLJers. If I'm crossing the road and one cut across in front of me through the red light then I'd have no issue with bumping into them. I'm not going to stop/slow for them. Sorry if that makes me a bad person.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
By way of consistency, shouldn't you be pulling mobile using motorists from their vehicles and bludgeoning them? I suspect you could catch them at traffic lights (assuming they stop) or pedestrian crossings.

HTH.

(Full Disclosure - yes, inconsiderate pavement cyclists ARE arses).

Top Bottom