Tried to knock a bloke of his bike today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangaman

allen-uk said:
I think the truth is that you can behave like a pig when driving a car, or riding a bike (on roadway or pavement), or as a pedestrian, taking no notice of others around you.

However you are moving through the world, do so gently, treating all others with respect and kindness. (I suppose that includes calling them tossers sometimes).

A.

If you want to treat others with respect/kindness and move gently through the world then don't cycle on the pavement.

It's dangerous, antisocial and illegal. :rolleyes:

allen-uk

mangaman said:
It's dangerous, antisocial and illegal.

I hope the good weather improves your mood, mangaman!

Obeying the letter of the law is not good enough; it only tells us how we SHOULDN'T behave. I am trying to concentrate on how we SHOULD.

A

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Pavement cycling by chavs on BSOs is a regular occurrence in Portsmouth - and the culprits seem to think they're in the right! (Any kind of polite complaint to the effect that they shouldn't be on the pavement gets a mouthful of abuse).

BSO chavs also cycle up/down/across roads in Portsmouth, causing cars to brake. Again, any beeping from the car will get a mouthful of abuse and/or they spit at your car.

I have found an excellent way to deal with them on my motorbike, which is to approach them from behind, take the clutch in and roll off the throttle, then just as I come up behind them, I re-engage the clutch and whack open the throttle. Half the time they haven't clocked that I'm there and it scares the sh1t out of them! :rolleyes:

Matthames

Über Member
XmisterIS said:
I have found an excellent way to deal with them [chavs on BSOs] on my motorbike, which is to approach them from behind, take the clutch in and roll off the throttle, then just as I come up behind them, I re-engage the clutch and whack open the throttle. Half the time they haven't clocked that I'm there and it scares the sh1t out of them! :rolleyes:

I bet they are then impressed as you cruise past on your back wheel :smile:;)

There's a few bits of the world around here where it's significantly easier to keep to the pavement for a few metres rather than negotiate a couple of junctions etc on road. So I hop off and walk the few metres. I'd rather not add to the negative perceptions of cyclists out there.

My eldest was told that he was allowed to ride on the pavement until he was 7 (because he was a child and couldn't yet be trusted on quite a lot of local roads) provided that he remembered that pavements are for people, made sure that he got out of the way of anybody and everybody else where necessary, and didn't act like a prat. He started riding on (quiet) roads at around 5 so he got a couple of years of learning how to do it reasonably safely and since 7 he's expected to either ride sensibly/appropriately on the road/cycle path or get off and walk.

We have had to have several discussions about what constitutes sensible of course. 8 year olds will insist on learning to bunny hop in the most ridiculously stupid places....

And the other day I did tell him we were going to break the rule, when we had a choice of a 3-4 mile detour or a half mile along a busy A road that he just couldn't have coped with safely and were running late. There's a virtually unused footpath, and I allowed him to ride it on condition that if we saw any pedestrians at all he would get off and walk. On my own I wouldn't have considered it, and the reason we rode rather than walked was that I didn't really want to hang about by that road longer than necessary. Rationalisation, I know, but I think it was the right choice.

Personally I find that the cute 8 year old saying (really loudly) "Look mum, that boy's riding on the pavement and he's nearly a grown up! I don't do that and I'm only 8!" quite often shifts them. Although it's slightly worrying that one day his tactlessness is going to get him thumped....

mangaman

allen-uk said:
I hope the good weather improves your mood, mangaman!

Obeying the letter of the law is not good enough; it only tells us how we SHOULDN'T behave. I am trying to concentrate on how we SHOULD.

A

Thanks - my mood's fine :rolleyes:

I'm not so bothered about the law - using your statements, how we SHOULD behave is to not cycle on pavements.

It's not nice for pedestrians and we all, as you said in your 1st post, want to get along.

allen-uk

CrinklyLion's example sounds fine to me. Keep to the roads under NEARLY all circumstances, except when it really isn't safe, and then if you do use the pavement, walk rather than ride. With very rare exceptions!

Oh, and getting off your bike if pedestrians approach is also precisely what I do if ever caught in that dilemma. Come to think of it, on paths where both pedestrians and cyclists are allowed (local park, for example), I always give way to the pedestrians, particularly if kids or dogs are involved.

As far as obeying the law is concerned... well, I've seen plenty of people (riders, walkers, drivers), obeying the law (just) and behaving like unsocial amoral morons. The law doesn't really legislate for them.

Thou shalt NOT is fine, but what I'm looking for is more people who live by 'Thou SHALT...' (i.e. not 'thou shalt not commit adultery', but 'thou shalt respect and remain faithful to thy partner'. Minus the thou's and the thy's, which are hard to type and get on your wick very quickly).

Pavements are for pedestrians, I totally agree, but if User10119 and his little lad cycle on my bit of path I will happily smile and help them past.

Allen.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
mangaman said:
I think that's a controversial line to take summerdays.

Either you cycle on the pavement illegally or you stick to the road.

However wide the pavement is, it's still wrong and if you do it you can hardly criticise other pavement cyclists (not aimed at you - but vbc)

Like I said I do it in winter ... and in summer, spring and autumn when the grass isn't completely soggy, I take that route with the other pedestrians and cyclists and we share the space... and I only use the footpath in winter. Its a very well used short cut by lots of people that cuts off 3 sides of a square and 2 sets of traffic lights at which I will have to wait at red - they are sequenced together in that way. I will be travelling at 5 mph probably for the 10 seconds on the path.

According to you once I've cycled on that bit I may as well carry on by the sounds of it... whereas I then carry on on the road even if I'm doing 4 mph if I'm chatting to someone. I am aware it is illegal, but to be honest I don't have a problem with people who do cycle on the pavements who do so with consideration to others. In general I don't do it myself as the road is generally quicker/safer etc.

Top Bottom