Trifox X16 - Update and Things I Learned

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have had my Trifox X16 for a while and I’ve put some decent miles on it, so I want to share a quick update about it and share some things about bike building that I learned while building it, if you’re new to bike building or have the same frame.

No issues with the frame so far, no creaking or noises from the seatpost or anywhere in the frame, and there aren’t any scratches or chips in the paint. Still working great.

There were some oversights in my build that I found out while riding, and I’ll say those here. The main oversight was headset preloading; I thought the top cap was just for cosmetics (a beginner error) and ended up not preloading the headset properly causing creaking from the headset area when riding. Another oversight was with the crankset. I thought the piece that screws inside the crankset was just for cosmetics, a dust cover, but it’s actually for preloading the crankset. Maybe my oversights will end up helping you in your bike build. If you have any questions about the frame or other things please leave a comment.

This is the properly preloaded headset.
20220926_154028.jpg

Last edited:
Yes an easy mistake to make

Chislenko

Veteran
What's the old saying "learn by your mistakes" a very true saying as you won't make them again in the future.

And well done for having the humility to admit the making of said mistakes.

I know when I got back into cycling I spent hours trying to pump my tyre up before I found out you had to undo a Presta valve! Had never come across them on all my old bikes.

Top Bottom