Trigger vs twist grip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DEFENDER01

Über Member
Hi
Just a general question and i guess the opinions will vary.
Having just changed from a full suspension bike to a hard tail with front suspension as i only do road riding now.
My last bike had shimano levers my new one has shimano revoshift twist grip.
My question is which one is the most reliable also looking in several cycle shops at the weekend i noticed many bikes now having the twisters.
When i asked the chap in the cycle shop which was the most reliable he said well they are shimano so they were both good just down to preference.
So has anyone had problems with the twisters.:rolleyes:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Twist grip shifters are a lot cheaper, I'll leave it to you to decide which are the better. :whistle:
FWIW I for one detest them.:cursing:

OP
OP
DEFENDER01

DEFENDER01

Über Member
Twist grip shifters are a lot cheaper, I'll leave it to you to decide which are the better. :whistle:
FWIW I for one detest them.:cursing:
As they are cheaper perhaps thats one reason why many new bikes have them now.
Manufactures are always on the look to save money which is one reason cars no longer have spare wheels {every four cars produced they gain a set of wheels.}:rolleyes:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
My commuting bike still has its original twist shifters and has just reached 20 years old this month. They're just about ready for replacement now.

GC

OP
OP
DEFENDER01

DEFENDER01

Über Member
My commuting bike still has its original twist shifters and has just reached 20 years old this month. They're just about ready for replacement now.
GC
Wow looks like they last well if mine last that long they will probably see me out. :rolleyes:
Would be nice to think the shimano twisters last as well.?
Yes they seem more popular among people that mainly use their bikes for commuting.

stuee147

i used to love twist grips but i think it was more because they were new at the time now i swear by trigers a lot more control and its just a quick flick with the thumb or finger rather than twisting your whole hand and wrist

but to be honest i thinkt it really boils down to how you feel and your preferences.
as for quality you can get good and bad of both types

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
The biggest problem I had with the twist grip system was shifting up to a higher chainring when it was raining.My fingers became so slippery that I needed to develop a grip like a gorilla to overcome the spring tension on the front derailleur cage. Nowadays they only seem to be fitted to cheapo, bottom- of-the- range bikes.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It is purely down to personal preference I think. I've used both but like twist shifters on my bikes. They have to be good quality ones though - my knockabout bike came with a Falcon branded set which could probably be best described as vague.:rolleyes:

No failures in the 17 years I've had them and the only replacements have been when altering the number of gears on the bikes.

I haven't experienced the issues with shifting in the rain that others report but that could be because I always wear gloves when riding now (learned the hard way how painful it is to take the skin off the palm of the hand in a crash :cry:)

Last edited:

andyfraser

Über Member
I got to try Shimano Revoshift a couple of weeks ago. Not too bad at all. Some cheap twist grips I've used have left something to be desired but have been usable. I do prefer my rapidfire shifters though.

Top Bottom