Trike Modifications

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Cullin

Cullin

Über Member
Here is my contribution for armrests using ICE bar bag mounts and some home made armrests from Steel and high density foam padding.

2l8jaet.jpg

My Catrike has a small "Windwrap XT" fairning for the Summer with a Garmin 305 and a Spacegrip to support the lights

FRont.jpg

In the Winter I have a larger Windwrap fairing, and as the support slopes I have mounted the spacebar on the upright, and to getthe lights outside the fairing I have mounted a "bar end" to support the lights.

PB120172cut.jpg

I have also adapted the head rest suport to hold the rear rack. The light fitting is a "t plate" with the bar from a Spacegrip allowing a Dinotte to be fitted

rear.jpg

Finally I have mounted a platform for Pendergast my mascot....

pendergast2.jpg

Not mine, but for sale in an LBS near Chichester is n Optima Rhino with heavy modifications.

2008_0726david-emsworth0003.jpg

The two balls are a wind down maintenance stand, withthe weight of the motor and battery I can see why!

2008_0726david-emsworth0004.jpg

sunnyjim

Here's a couple:

4th chainring - originally an 18 tooth steel sprocket, bored out with brazed on collar bolted to the smallest(26t) chainring. It overhangs the bottom bracket, so the pedal spacing and chain run stays as it was. With a 34t rear, lowest gear is a shade under 10 inches. Also visible on the pic is repositioned pedal to give 145mm crank. -I haven't got round to cutting the end off the original crank yet.

Downtube friction shifters on the handlebars are easy to reach with fingers or palms while allowing hands to stay within comfortable reach of brake levers. Do need to beware of not sticking fingers into the front wheels.

dataretriever

I know this is a bit arse about face but I bought a couple of these in Germany last week and am now trying to find something to do with them... They looked dead useful in the shop.....

qc_3590401a.jpg

3tyretrackterry

i have made a couple of light brackets but dont know how to post pics any help appreciated in picture posting. i have a digital camera and can download pics onto pc but thats where my knowledge ends

To post piccies.

Open an account with "Flickr", "Photobucket"or similar

Upload piccie to the account.

When you select the poiccie on the account you will see a number of links givingh the options to link.

If one has (img)Adddress(/img) but with square brackets, then this can simply be pasted here. If it is a simple "web address" then slectthe small picture icon in the bar above (square with mountains) and simply paste in.

For example

THis is a photobucket pic of my Catrike... I have again replaced the square brackets so you can see the method

(IMG)http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b60/Cunobelin/Catrike008a.jpg(/IMG)

With square brackets you get:

Catrike008a.jpg

If youiwant a more detailed step by step, or to cover points - PM me.

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
I know for my Trice Q I keep trying to come up with a better rear light mount than the headrest which works with the rack/panniers on or off and the sidepods on or off. Quite a challenge! I wonder if your widget would allow a fixing on the seat tube at the top on the rhs for a rear-facing light (assuming you could fit it under the webbing).

byegad

Legendary Member
Auntie Helen said:
I know for my Trice Q I keep trying to come up with a better rear light mount than the headrest which works with the rack/panniers on or off and the sidepods on or off. Quite a challenge! I wonder if your widget would allow a fixing on the seat tube at the top on the rhs for a rear-facing light (assuming you could fit it under the webbing).

Helen, try a Space Grip. I know they're not known for their robust buld but I've used a few for years and so long as they're mounted away from knocks and bangs they've lasted me well. None of mine have failed.

I'm thinking mount one to the right of the head rest and you can pitch it up high enough to be seen over anything. That said I have one mounted on the head rest upright and two on the top seat bar, but I don't use a rack prefering a trailer.

OP
OP
Cullin

Cullin

Über Member
You can always look for some to fit your helmet, there are some that do not make you look like a Cyberman/woman.
At least the lights will always be with you...

dataretriever

A Weekend of Tinkering

I've just spent the weekend fiddling with various things (ooeer!). I wasn't happy with the original Microshift Shifters and front mech on my TRICE Q and further examination showed they only let me use 7 of the 9 rear gears. No amount of spannering would let me use all 9, oddly gear 2 and 7 just wouldn't work. So seeing as Chain Reaction Cycles were offering them for much cheapness I replaced the twist shifts and rear mech with SRAM X7s, I did try and get the front mech changed but it just won't cope with the ring sizes on the Q so I'm stuck with the no-name mech there, unless anyone knows of a fix?

rear-mech.jpg

They work fantastically getting all the gears and is more positive than the old microshifts.

Fitting and adjusting the new bits on my own required the construction of the Dataretriever Q Stand Mk 1. It's so much easier working stood up:

stand.jpg

The front crossmember fits in the grooved planks and the rear pivot slots onto the copper pipe, like so:

trike-on-stand.jpg

I intend to make a neater version, with padding but it'll have to be in wood again as I'm rubbish at welding, perhaps fitting it onto a workmate or similar. There are no plans as it was made by eye to fit the wood I had available, I might try and do some plans for Mk 2 if anyone is interested.

The next bits are minor:

The installation of my new flag (last one was rudely snatched away by some Sarf Lahndon Oiks) from Helen at Raindrop Kites The pocket contains a £2 tesco LED red light and illuminates the flag at night.

flag.jpg

Lastly, I've attached a Camelbak pouch behind the seat and attached my pump.

seatback.jpg

The pouch is a M.O.L.L.E (Molly) Pouch and is the new type of military webbing (its what the horizontal webbing is for on body armour). It weaves onto the adjustment straps and is extremely secure. Back view:

molle.jpg

A 3 litre bladder fits in with room for puncture kit and a couple of spare tubes. The pump does fit vertically but is a git to get out when the pouch is full so I've attached it to one of the seat bars lower down.

And I even managed to hoover the house, walk the dogs and bake a cake. All in all a productive weekend!

Top Bottom