Triple on a road bike - yay or nay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zacklaws

Guru
Getting a triple was best thing I ever did, I'm a "purist" at heart but I'm not getting younger and pushing a "double" up hills was too much on the steeper hills so I took the plunge after being talked out of buying a "compact" at the LBS and bought a Trek Madone with a triple fitted.

The difference it has made is incredible, I have lower heart rates pushing up the hills, I've more than doubled my speed up some hills, reduced the time climbing some hills by well over 50%, my knees do not hurt so much now pushing the big gears and when I get to top of hills instead of turning my lungs inside out gasping for breath its now a case of getting into the higher gears ASP and race away, in fact I've virtually broke every timing on all my usual routes and rewrote "the books".

zacklaws

Guru
Getting a triple was best thing I ever did, I'm a "purist" at heart but I'm not getting younger and pushing a "double" up hills was too much on the steeper hills so I took the plunge after being talked out of buying a "compact" at the LBS and bought a Trek Madone with a triple fitted.

The difference it has made is incredible, I have lower heart rates pushing up the hills, I've more than doubled my speed up some hills, reduced the time climbing some hills by well over 50%, my knees do not hurt so much now pushing the big gears and when I get to top of hills instead of turning my lungs inside out gasping for breath its now a case of getting into the higher gears ASP and race away, in fact I've virtually broke every timing on all my usual routes and rewrote "the books".

zacklaws

Guru

AlanW

Guru
Look at it this way......I rode the Falling Leaves Audax three years ago. Its only 60km, but it is up and down for the whole duration.

I rode it on a 39/52 and a 10sp 12/25, I got round and finished in a reasonable time, in places it was a bit of struggle and the following day I was knackered!

Then I bought a triple and rode the same event a year on. Completed it in near enough the same time, cannot compare exact as we got lost the second year! :biggrin:

The triple is a 28/39/52, but a 10sp 12/23 instead of the 12/25 before, this keeping a nice tight ratio, perfect for maintaining a steady cadence.

BUT.......the big difference having the triple was that I enjoyed the event so much more. I rode round, rather than mauling the bike round in places.

One of the best things I ever did was going for a triple.:laugh:

AlanW

Guru
Look at it this way......I rode the Falling Leaves Audax three years ago. Its only 60km, but it is up and down for the whole duration.

I rode it on a 39/52 and a 10sp 12/25, I got round and finished in a reasonable time, in places it was a bit of struggle and the following day I was knackered!

Then I bought a triple and rode the same event a year on. Completed it in near enough the same time, cannot compare exact as we got lost the second year! :ohmy:

The triple is a 28/39/52, but a 10sp 12/23 instead of the 12/25 before, this keeping a nice tight ratio, perfect for maintaining a steady cadence.

BUT.......the big difference having the triple was that I enjoyed the event so much more. I rode round, rather than mauling the bike round in places.

One of the best things I ever did was going for a triple.:biggrin:

AlanW

Guru

Then I bought a triple and rode the same event a year on. Completed it in near enough the same time, cannot compare exact as we got lost the second year! :evil:

One of the best things I ever did was going for a triple.:biggrin:

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
deffo a yay. when i first joined my local club i found i could not get up the hills on the double chainset. i looked at changing to a compact but went triple after a lot of deliberation.

i've never regretted it, as someone who tends to spin a high cadence rather than grind a high gear up the climbs.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
deffo a yay. when i first joined my local club i found i could not get up the hills on the double chainset. i looked at changing to a compact but went triple after a lot of deliberation.

i've never regretted it, as someone who tends to spin a high cadence rather than grind a high gear up the climbs.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
or you could say nay to both and go for a Rohloff, rediscover simplicity, straight chainlines and longer wear on parts. Go for one with a carbon belt drive and say goodbye to oil, noise and chain stretch. Sort of traditional combined with modern.

MacB

or you could say nay to both and go for a Rohloff, rediscover simplicity, straight chainlines and longer wear on parts. Go for one with a carbon belt drive and say goodbye to oil, noise and chain stretch. Sort of traditional combined with modern.

MacB

Top Bottom