Triple on a road bike - yay or nay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
MacB said:
...go for a Rohloff, rediscover simplicity...

For all their external lack of multiple cogs, I'm pretty sure I'd never describe a Rohloff as simple!!! :biggrin:

jimboalee

You could have the gearbox up the front end.

Gearbox-Bike1-798-75.jpg

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Bloke said:
Wow. Thumbs up all 'round then.

What kind of blocks do you guys run at the back in conjunction then?
I think I might be sold! :rofl:. Yay indeed.

On the audax machine, 46/36/28 at the front, I run a 13-26 cassette. I dislike wide-ratio cassettes. On the road bike I run the same cogs but with 52/42 on the front.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Bloke said:
Wow. Thumbs up all 'round then.

What kind of blocks do you guys run at the back in conjunction then?
I think I might be sold! :blush:. Yay indeed.

On the audax machine, 46/36/28 at the front, I run a 13-26 cassette. I dislike wide-ratio cassettes. On the road bike I run the same cogs but with 52/42 on the front.

GrasB

Veteran
I personally find that navigating 2 chainrings & double shifting far simpler than navigating a triple & doing smaller steps when double shifting. What you have to understand is that every setup you can have is a compromise & I simply find that a compact chainset for me has less compromises that I notice. So it really does depend on how you ride & what your fitness/strength level is.

GrasB

Veteran
I personally find that navigating 2 chainrings & double shifting far simpler than navigating a triple & doing smaller steps when double shifting. What you have to understand is that every setup you can have is a compromise & I simply find that a compact chainset for me has less compromises that I notice. So it really does depend on how you ride & what your fitness/strength level is.

just jim

Couldn't you put a cassette with a wider ratio on the back and pair it up with a long caged rear derailleur? Just wondering, since I've gone for the compact double choice myself!

just jim

Couldn't you put a cassette with a wider ratio on the back and pair it up with a long caged rear derailleur? Just wondering, since I've gone for the compact double choice myself!

jimboalee

I once set up a bike with it's standard double 52/42 and 7 speed Megarange block.

It was a 14 – 34 screw-on freewheel.
That gave a one off, bailout low gear of 33". A much more cost effective option than getting a 30 tooth chainring triple to get 32" with a 25 tooth sprocket.

The problem was,, when the chain was running on the Megarange sprocket, the rear mech chattered because it was pushing the chain onto the sprocket teeth.
That ratio wasn't used very often, so I just 'put up' with the noise.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
just noticed that Spa are doing a new 9 speed cassette with a range 12-36 - aimed at the 29er market but would imagine it'll work well with a standard double.

De Sisti

Veteran
All of my bikes have triples. The "sportive" one has a 50/34/26 chainring and a 9 speed 12/13/15/17/19/21/23/25/28 cassette.

Best of both worlds I suppose. :o)

(And no, I don't have any problems shifting between the front chainrings).

Top Bottom