Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Novels with common-knowledge, glaring, errors.
I'm reading one at the moment and after the first chapter I'm only continuing it to see how many more stupid errors are in it.
The story is set in WW2.

Dunkirk described as the Normandy beaches, and the Normandy beaches described as being on the North Sea. GEOGRAPHY!
We have the local vet driving a land-rover. What? TIME TRAVEL!
Poultry for Christmas dinner described as 'roasted foul' SPELLING! (well maybe it really was foul when it was roasted; being wartime and all, it might've been an old boiling hen or an ancient goose from the marshes!)
I've not even reached 1941 yet!
Don't publishers use editors any more? Don't authors fact-check?

gbb

Legendary Member
A mum collecting her child from school this afternoon.
Several levels of wrong. The street has a temporary large sign erected at school out time indicating...residents only. Every parent has had a letter explaining the situation and indicating where to park...not in the street.
She then held traffic up while she shunted back and forward trying to get reversed into a a small area....that has double yellow ines. Compounded by the fact she has now restricted the sightline of other kids leaving the school.

Disregarding a community notice, organised by the local council and school...for the good of the kids.
Disrespectful to local traffic while she shunted herself into a space she shouldnt.. (No indicators, no wave of thanks....nothing)
Parked on double yellows.
Restricted the view of kids leaving school, thus endangering them.

All to pick up the most precious of her possessions. Shame she didnt afford everyone elses preciosus posseessions the safety they deserve.

Not trivial to me, but it obviously was to her.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
This certainly isn't trivial!!

Just had a text message from my brother, bragging about his dog 'taking out a seagull' on Lytham beach and 'giving it a good worrying'. He even sent me a photo of the injured bird, with 'good lad, they're f..k..g horrible posted beneath it. I replied "It's not dead is it"?! He hasn't replied. He once asked if he could borrow my air rifle so he could shoot 'noisy crows' in his garden! I can't say i'm happy! This act of barbarism will now play on my mind for a long while!! He was once a fervent anti hunting type. Now he's reduced himself to setting his dogs on defenseless birds!:sad:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
The fact that the word "tip" (as in "a hint, a helpful suggestion, a nugget of good advice") was not considered clear or good enough for millennials. So they took a perfectly sensible word for "cheat" ("hack", taken from cheating your way into a computer system), and bent it so it now simply means "tip". I.e. a bit of advice.

"Hey girls! Here's ten hacks to make your look dynamite!" Screams the headline on a magazine.
Cue ten small tips on how to do makeup slightly better. No cheating or computer breaking whatsoever.

Here's a hack for you. Leave English alone. There was already a word for that, and it was tip.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
We have a weekly test at a regular time too. This is always preceded by a PA announcement that a test is about to happen, with the advice that if the alarm doesn't silence within ten seconds then evacuation is to take place.

When the test concludes, there is a further announcement that the test is complete and from that point on normal evacuation procedures apply, i.e. if an alarm sounds again, get out.
Out in the middle of the Minch on a Calmac ferry there was an announcement that the full emergency alarm system would go off and not to panic. In addition crew members would be seen wearing full emergency gear and taking up abandon ship stations. A RIB was lowered to rescue a man overboard as well. Great entertainment for all and the RIB roared around until we got to Castlebay.
I can't see that happening in the Firth of Lorne with a boat load of nearly 1000 tourists on day trips because they never listen to any of the announcements.:rolleyes: It would be panic time.

This certainly isn't trivial!!

Just had a text message from my brother, bragging about his dog 'taking out a seagull' on Lytham beach and 'giving it a good worrying'. He even sent me a photo of the injured bird, with 'good lad, they're f..k..g horrible posted beneath it. I replied "It's not dead is it"?! He hasn't replied. He once asked if he could borrow my air rifle so he could shoot 'noisy crows' in his garden! I can't say i'm happy! This act of barbarism will now play on my mind for a long while!! He was once a fervent anti hunting type. Now he's reduced himself to setting his dogs on defenseless birds!:sad:
Poor seagull. Not even safe in its rightful habitat, by the bloomin' sea.
As for shooting 'noisy crows' ... corvids are one of the most intelligent of creatures, and not merely among birds. Bird brains they are NOT.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Poor seagull. Not even safe in its rightful habitat, by the bloomin' sea.
As for shooting 'noisy crows' ... corvids are one of the most intelligent of creatures, and not merely among birds. Bird brains they are NOT.
I didn't lend him the air rifle by the way! I haven't used it in 15 years and it's only ever been used on empty beer can targets, not animals or birds!!

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
People who don't put the plastic Toblerone shaped divider thingie on the conveyor belt after their shopping so the next person, me, can start unloading their trolley.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Toilet rolls which have the available paper facing the wall. You can't see the perforations properly, or if sufficient paper is pulled so you can see the perforations, the previous user tends to leave the paper just hanging there instead of neatly folded on to the roll.

Chief Broom

Veteran
Stealth potholes! cant see them until its too late and rattles your fillings! Theres 2 on my regular ride and i keep hitting them even though i know theyre there...will have to mark them with paint or summ'et!

I can't see that happening in the Firth of Lorne with a boat load of nearly 1000 tourists on day trips because they never listen to any of the announcements.:rolleyes: It would be panic time.
I was once called an “officious jobsworth” on facebook because I insisted a passenger I was going to take out get his phone away from his face to hear a safety brief and not just let his 10 year old kid listen for him.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Stealth potholes! cant see them until its too late and rattles your fillings! Theres 2 on my regular ride and i keep hitting them even though i know theyre there...will have to mark them with paint or summ'et!
We had a couple of really bad ones here. Somebody got the idea to plant small shrubs in them. Still took the council a while to get round to them tho'.

Right
Recipes
The other night we saw Eat Well for the Planet
They did a Vegetable Dansak Curry and we both said that looks nice

so I bought a load of veg from a local (ish) farm shop and it was set for tonight
rather a surpeise because my wife 'doesn't do' veg
in her mind 5-a-day is 3 glasses of wine (made from grapes) and a packet of chocolate raisins
and she reached that 5-a-day target about once every 2 weeks

Anyway - I start to make it and it becomes clear that she ain;t goin' eat it 'cos of veg

anyway - I carry on

now - normally when I make a curry I dish up mine and put 2 or 3 other portions into old takeaway cartons

so - back to the recipe

firstly peel x grammes of sweet potato and chop into cubes
OK - I can do maths - I know what a cube is
BUT WHAT SIZE!!!!!
the peel 2 carrots
err - you specify the weight of sweet potatoe - but 2 carrots
WHAT SIZE OF CARROTS!!!!!!
some only just fit into bag for life and some are pretty much a single bite!!!
and then chop in cubes
WUT???? HOW
carrots are round - they do not go into cubes unless you lob half the damn thing in the bin
and we still have the WHAT SIZE problem
and then they give a weight of ginger
OK - now when I was at university (doing Chemistry) I used to use scales that weighed quantities of fraction of a gramme - and to an accuracy in the thousandths of a gramme
but - for some reason - they wanted me to leave them in the labs
and not bring them home to help in cooking a curry

so my kitchen scales are not a lot of use for weights of a few grammes
whatever happened to "one inch of fresh ginger" (enter joke here)

then it all goes OK

lots of veg - lentils and spices

cook for x minutes

add roasted veg

cook for y minutes

Tastes wonderful

BUT

I spooned my normal portion (i.e. far too much) or curry onto a plate
and spooned an equal portion into 2 waiting cartons

and leave about half left in the pan

so basically 5 LARGE portions instead of 3ish

and only me to eat it 'cos it contains veg!

Oh - and tastes nice - but it ain;t no curry - nice stew

who writes these recipes???

Top Bottom