Trivial things that make you annoyed beyond expectations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There i was out walking the other day when a woman i know asked me where i'd bought my dog's 'body warmer' from. The item was in his dog stroller not on him at the time. What annoyed me is that she then picked it up and put it on her dog to 'try it for size', without asking if it was ok to do so. Even more annoying is that her dog was filthy underneath as she'd been walking him in nearby fields and when she handed the body warmer back it was wet and dirty! How bad mannered was that eh!!!🧐

lazybloke

Considering a new username
There i was out walking the other day when a woman i know asked me where i'd bought my dog's 'body warmer' from. The item was in his dog stroller not on him at the time. What annoyed me is that she then picked it up and put it on her dog to 'try it for size', without asking if it was ok to do so. Even more annoying is that her dog was filthy underneath as she'd been walking him in nearby fields and when she handed the body warmer back it was wet and dirty! How bad mannered was that eh!!!🧐
Accy, you are flypaper for freaks.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
"M3" stripes being painted on seemingly all the grilles of all the BMWs in the UK, especially 10 year old diesel 3 series. Who do they think they're kidding exactly? Nobody cares if you have an M3 anyway, it's not like that's a rare car. The real ones are easy to spot, bodywork, exhausts, ride height, you're fooling nobody with that badge on the boot or the tacky grille stripes.
Not sure why that irritates me, I know it's definitely trivial. Just a big theme around here.

Also, why do pelican crossings make pedestrians wait for 30 seconds to a minute before they change? It doesn't change the traffic flow to have the traffic stop half a minute, or a minute later. If the road is busy, the traffic has to stop at some time. If the road isn't busy, then the pedestrian doesn't need to engage the pelican crossing anyway. They cross when safe. Pointless delay... "Pedestrians, all bow down to the mighty motorist. You shall know your place and wait!"

Also, why do pelican crossings make pedestrians wait for 30 seconds to a minute before they change? It doesn't change the traffic flow to have the traffic stop half a minute, or a minute later. If the road is busy, the traffic has to stop at some time. If the road isn't busy, then the pedestrian doesn't need to engage the pelican crossing anyway. They cross when safe. Pointless delay... "Pedestrians, all bow down to the mighty motorist. You shall know your place and wait!"

That's something I've often wondered about, too. Locally, I can see the pelican crossing from quite a distance away as I approach it and even when I approach it under the same 'conditions' eg someone has used it immediately before I arrive, the time it takes to change when I press the button always varies. Sometimes it changes the moment I press the button and sometimes it makes me wait ... and wait ... Neither traffic conditions, nor anything else I can detect, seem to have any bearing whatsoever on the time it takes to change.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
What's the etiquette for crossing pelican crossings and zebra crossings?🤔 When i cross a zebra one i raise my hand slightly to acknowledge them stopping as i've been told vehicles aren't compelled to stop for you at a zebra crossing. When crossing a pelican crossing i still slightly raise my hand even though a red light to vehicles means stop. However, if a vehicle drives aggressively towards either type of crossing, breaking abruptly i won't acknowledge them stopping for me.🧐

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Accy, you are flypaper for freaks.
I didn't mention this in my previous post, but this woman has made me think "WHAT"?!:ohmy: on more than one occasion. One time when i gave my dog a dog treat while she was near to me with her dog she said "Where's his?! (her dog). Normally i'd break a dog treat in two and share it. On this occasion i intended to feed my dog a whole treat then give her dog a full treat, but as soon as i'd handed one to mine she chirped up her question/demand!! She's also chastised me for 'throwing treats' at my and her dog, instead of 'passing them gently to them'. 🧐

Alex321

Veteran
What's the etiquette for crossing pelican crossings and zebra crossings?🤔 When i cross a zebra one i raise my hand slightly to acknowledge them stopping as i've been told vehicles aren't compelled to stop for you at a zebra crossing. When crossing a pelican crossing i still slightly raise my hand even though a red light to vehicles means stop. However, if a vehicle drives aggressively towards either type of crossing, breaking abruptly i won't acknowledge them stopping for me.🧐
I don't think there is any established etiquette.

Most people crossing don't acknowledge, but some do, at any type of crossing.

Drivers are just as obliged to stop for a zebra as they are for a pelican, provided the pedestrian has "moved onto the crossing" - which is interpreted as having one foot on it.

Highway code, section 195:
Zebra crossings. As you approach a zebra crossing

• look out for pedestrians waiting to cross and be ready to slow down or stop to let them cross
  • you MUST give way when a pedestrian has moved onto a crossing

Note the MUST - which means it is a legal requirement, not just guidance.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I don't think there is any established etiquette.

Most people crossing don't acknowledge, but some do, at any type of crossing.

Drivers are just as obliged to stop for a zebra as they are for a pelican, provided the pedestrian has "moved onto the crossing" - which is interpreted as having one foot on it.

Highway code, section 195:

Note the MUST - which means it is a legal requirement, not just guidance.
That's all well and good and believe me i'm pro pedestrian over motorist rights, but i've been the motorist and a pedestrian has suddenly just stepped onto the zebra crossing (usually runners who 'can't stop' or some who've had a few too many pints, or phone natterers) without even waiting for me to see them doing so and then be able to stop safely.

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
That's all well and good and believe me i'm pro pedestrian over motorist rights, but i've been the motorist and a pedestrian has suddenly just stepped onto the zebra crossing (usually runners who 'can't stop' or some who've had a few too many pints, or phone natterers) without even waiting for me to see them doing so and then be able to stop safely.
As a driver approaching a zebra crossing you should be observing what's happening around the crossing as soon as you identify it, then be at an appropriate speed, and then be ready to stop should someone start crossing.
Drivers who moan about people stepping out "suddenly" at a crossing that, let's be fair, has big flipping yellow lights flashing on it, aren't observing properly. Nobody really appears "suddenly", they were usually moving towards the crossing as the car approached. The surprised driver just hadn't been watching.
Not a pop at you by the way Accy, I've not seen you drive, but hazard perception of drivers is really poor across the board these days, urban speeds are often too high, and drivers are ever more distracted by phones, radio, gadgets, kids, so too many seem surprised by hazards they should have identified and planned for, often up to several hundred metres back.

P.S. I don't require a "thank you" for stopping. I'm legally required to stop once you have started crossing, and as a responsible driver I was anticipating it from a good distance away and was fully prepared for it. There's a thread running where not everyone agrees, but for me, no, I don't need thanking.

Last edited:
Top Bottom