Trivial things that make you think 'yuk!'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
KFC.
Last year, one of the granddaughters asked to be taken to the movies for a birthday treat. Being kind hearted I said, on the way out after the (dreadful) film, 'I'll take you eat somewhere' Granddaughter and the gaggle of teens decided on KFC.
I had no idea it was so awful. The food wasn't good (almost inedible) but the place itself !!!!

It was like eating in a public toilet. White tiles, hard plastic seats and tables. Every surface sticky and grimy, litter and scrunched up tissues all over the place, half empty cups standing in what looked like piss piled up tables, squashed chips and bits of God knows what under every table and...well you get the picture.

Of course the kids thought it was great.

Don't forget the hormones and other things in the actual chicken! Seriously, there's evidence it can affect human fertility!

I used to live near the first KFC I'm the UK, first drive through or fast food outlet (in the modern style) or something like that firsts!

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Don't forget the hormones and other things in the actual chicken! Seriously, there's evidence it can affect human fertility!

I used to live near the first KFC I'm the UK, first drive through or fast food outlet (in the modern style) or something like that firsts!

I like to tell junior staffers gorging on Big Mac's that I go back to a time before the first one opened in Woolwich in 1974....I'm old:laugh:. Prior to MD arriving, fast food was a visit to the chippy.

Alex321

Veteran
I like to tell junior staffers gorging on Big Mac's that I go back to a time before the first one opened in Woolwich in 1974....I'm old:laugh:. Prior to MD arriving, fast food was a visit to the chippy.

Yes, I don't remember any takeaway food other than the chippies in Grantham when I was a schoolboy in the 70's.

There were Chinese takeaways in Swansea (and probably Indian) by the time I was student there in 1978-81.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yes, I don't remember any takeaway food other than the chippies in Grantham when I was a schoolboy in the 70's.

There were Chinese takeaways in Swansea (and probably Indian) by the time I was student there in 1978-81.

When I was growing up 70s there were chippies and Chinese, so you could go and get a spring roll instead of a bag of chips if you were exotic and sophisticated. In fact spring rolls were almost proper food as I think Findus did them. There was an Indian restaurant, but restaurants were strictly for posh people, so no-one went there.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
When I was growing up 70s there were chippies and Chinese, so you could go and get a spring roll instead of a bag of chips if you were exotic and sophisticated. In fact spring rolls were almost proper food as I think Findus did them. There was an Indian restaurant, but restaurants were strictly for posh people, so no-one went there.

No Wimpy? We had one in Newton Abbot until only a few years ago (I was never allowed in as a kid, as it was deemed American by my parents, and therefore not fit for consumption)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
No Wimpy? We had one in Newton Abbot until only a few years ago (I was never allowed in as a kid, as it was deemed American by my parents, and therefore not fit for consumption)

I don't think so, no. I never discovered Wimpy until I moved to London as a student in 1980. There I also discovered doner kebabs. And my life was changed utterly.

I've got piles and me mate's got crabs and we blame it all on doner kebabs. I don't know where that's from.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I don't think so, no. I never discovered Wimpy until I moved to London as a student in 1980. There I also discovered doner kebabs. And my life was changed utterly.

I've got piles and me mate's got crabs and we blame it all on doner kebabs. I don't know where that's from.

Kebabs are king, a lot of people say they are disgusting but you can't beat a good kebab. I first had one in Torquay on my first night out aged 17, and I was hooked. Sadly the quality of kebabs everywhere has declined a lot

Or Mr Wimpy! You got proper plates and Sheffield steel cutlery. You even got cotton napkins! I might be young (about 5) then but I still remember my first burger because of that.

Might even be my first proper restaurant too! I don't think my my parents took us to restaurants when very young. Not after that time my older sister... oh well, they probably couldn't afford to eat out after that anyway.

Kebabs? You talking about proper ones with meat on sticks? Or the ones made out of animal parts your dog wouldn't eat?

Anyway what do you call it shawarma or kebab?

There's a kebabs shop opposite the Parkinson Building in Leeds when I was there as a student. Run by Greek family that did authentic kebabs. So good the Guardian restaurant critic interrupted his reviews on London Michelin starred restaurants to give it a 5 star review! 5 out of 5. He gave a Michelin starred place 4 once so that shows how good it was!

Theo's charcoal grill I think it was called.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Kebabs are king, a lot of people say they are disgusting but you can't beat a good kebab. I first had one in Torquay on my first night out aged 17, and I was hooked. Sadly the quality of kebabs everywhere has declined a lot

I may be the only person that has never eaten a doner kebab. I look at the meat turning on the spit and can't avoid thinking "how long has that been there?" xx(

Alex321

Veteran
There's a kebabs shop opposite the Parkinson Building in Leeds when I was there as a student. Run by Greek family that did authentic kebabs. So good the Guardian restaurant critic interrupted his reviews on London Michelin starred restaurants to give it a 5 star review! 5 out of 5. He gave a Michelin starred place 4 once so that shows how good it was!

Theo's charcoal grill I think it was called.

A Greek family would not call them kebabs.

That is the Turkish word for them.

The meat on skewers type are called Souvlaki by the Greeks, not kebabs. And what are usually called Doner Kebabs would be called Gyros by the Greeks.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I may be the only person that has never eaten a doner kebab. I look at the meat turning on the spit and can't avoid thinking "how long has that been there?" xx(

I've eaten doner kebabs from about 25 different places in my life and never got ill. The Turkish and Greek ones are usually the best though. I've had some nasty ones but still finished most of it! You're more likely to get ill from salad (especially raw onions) that has been hanging about on a warm counter for a long time

A Greek family would not call them kebabs.

That is the Turkish word for them.

The meat on skewers type are called Souvlaki by the Greeks, not kebabs. And what are usually called Doner Kebabs would be called Gyros by the Greeks.

Aah but they're in Leeds serving students, they wouldn't know what Souvlaki is! They still wanted to make money so used the vernacular widely accepted. Only inside did they use Greek names for some things, like dolmades. Souvlaki was used inside with kebab. Got to cater for the philistines who only know about kebabs!

Top Bottom