Trivial things that make you think 'yuk!'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know people who ate doner kebabs without salad who got ill from it. I'll not touch the stuff. I once or twice had it from that Leeds place. They mostly used pre cut as they were so busy the block never cooked quick enough. It was properly cooked and not cheap meats neither. But I much preferred the lamb in good quality meat pieces plus their homemade, family recipe sauce. I must stop drooling. The dolmades were nice too.

OP
OP
Chris S

Chris S

Legendary Member
Or Mr Wimpy! You got proper plates and Sheffield steel cutlery. You even got cotton napkins! I might be young (about 5) then but I still remember my first burger because of that.

Might even be my first proper restaurant too! I don't think my my parents took us to restaurants when very young. Not after that time my older sister... oh well, they probably couldn't afford to eat out after that anyway.

Apparently Wimpy bars had been going since the 1950s. They were named after Popeye's friend who ate hamburgers.

There were plenty of Golden Eggs in the 1970s. I think they would have been classified as fast food.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Might even be my first proper restaurant too! I don't think my my parents took us to restaurants when very young. Not after that time my older sister... oh well, they probably couldn't afford to eat out after that anyway.

I never visited a restaurant with my parents. It wasn't a thing they ever did, with or without offspring.

I distinctly remember the first time I ate in a restaurant, if pub food counts. I had fish and chips in the Fox on the Hill in Camberwell. Would have been late 1980. Ordered from a menu and brought to the table by a waitress. Posh.

And to all you la di da fancy pants non doner eaters I say pish!. As fine a foodstuff as there ever was.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
I never visited a restaurant with my parents. It wasn't a thing they ever did, with or without offspring.

I distinctly remember the first time I ate in a restaurant, if pub food counts. I had fish and chips in the Fox on the Hill in Camberwell. Would have been late 1980. Ordered from a menu and brought to the table by a waitress. Posh.

And to all you la di da fancy pants non doner eaters I say pish!. As fine a foodstuff as there ever was.

In those days, IIRC it had to be brought to the table, in a separate room from the bar, as children theoretically weren't allowed in pubs at all unless in a restaurant separate from the bars.

I remember going out for a meal a few times with my parents, mostly to chinese restaurants, first in Singapore when my Dad was stationed in Changi, then a few times after we came back to the UK. I remember it because in those days in Chinese restaurants in the UK, you had to ask if you wanted chopsticks to eat with, and we had got used to that while in Singapore.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
The smell of cigarette smoke is becoming so rare, it's now a surprise.

Last time i noticed it was last week outside the entrance of the sports centre; that place you go to, to do healthy sports activities....

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
In those days, IIRC it had to be brought to the table, in a separate room from the bar, as children theoretically weren't allowed in pubs at all unless in a restaurant separate from the bars.

I remember going out for a meal a few times with my parents, mostly to chinese restaurants, first in Singapore when my Dad was stationed in Changi, then a few times after we came back to the UK. I remember it because in those days in Chinese restaurants in the UK, you had to ask if you wanted chopsticks to eat with, and we had got used to that while in Singapore.

Yes, my first Posh Meal was indeed in a separate room from the bar. I'd eaten in pubs before, but that was normally a pie or a cheese roll or a bag of scratchings, retrieved from the bar not brought to my table by a servant.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Two times being used instead of the word twice.
I always say twice, its just stupid saying two times.

Top Bottom