Troll Alert!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Linford

Whilst you're right about no one having to watch Top Gear or take any notice of Clarkson, the problem is that some people who do watch it, do take notice of him and it influences their attitude to and behaviour towards cyclists.

Absolute nonsense....that is like saying that everyone who ever watched a film about the Nazi's wants to recreate the 3rd Reich.

Anybody who believes this is clearly very detatched from reality.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Absolute nonsense....that is like saying that everyone who ever watched a film about the Nazi's wants to recreate the 3rd Reich.

No - it's like saying a few people who watch Clarkson et al might be influenced in their behaviour.

And if you think there is no-one who wants to do some of the things the Third Reich did, you must not be on the same planet as the rest of us.

I didn't say 'everyone' I said 'some'. And if you don't think anyone at all is influenced by or has their prejudices reinforced by Clarkson's anti-cyclist stance (whether it's an act or not) you're the one who's detached from reality IMO.

Linford

No - it's like saying a few people who watch Clarkson et al might be influenced in their behaviour.

And if you think there is no-one who wants to do some of the things the Third Reich did, you must not be on the same planet as the rest of us.

If these people are going to be influenced by the comments made on the occasional program which is screened for 12 hours a year, then I would suggest that they would also be influenced by 500+ hours behind the wheel which the average motorist does PA.

I'm no fan of punishment passes...I've had a few and they scare the poop out of me..the last one was a Lorry Driver, and Clarkson has sent these up as well as bikers, sunday drivers, etc etc

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
If these people are going to be influenced by the comments made on the occasional program which is screened for 12 hours a year, then I would suggest that they would also be influenced by 500+ hours behind the wheel which the average motorist does PA.

I'm no fan of punishment passes...I've had a few and they scare the poop out of me..the last one was a Lorry Driver, and Clarkson has sent these up as well as bikers, sunday drivers, etc etc
Being behind the wheel isn't the same as someone on the telly telling people that cyclists are scum/whatever other message JC puts out...
Anyone following me when I'm driving (and most other CycleChatters, I should think) could well be influenced to give cyclists lots of room when overtaking, as well as possibly learning that a close pass from that lorry in front didn't actually kill the cyclist so it must be OK then...
So being influenced by others on the road could work both ways. JC's comments are likely to be almost all negative.

Mr Foldy

May is on a small wheeler. No doubt they will play that for laughs. As if me and my Dahon don't already attract our fair share.....

Linford

Being behind the wheel isn't the same as someone on the telly telling people that cyclists are scum/whatever other message JC puts out...
Anyone following me when I'm driving (and most other CycleChatters, I should think) could well be influenced to give cyclists lots of room when overtaking, as well as possibly learning that a close pass from that lorry in front didn't actually kill the cyclist so it must be OK then...
So being influenced by others on the road could work both ways. JC's comments are likely to be almost all negative.

Do you recall the controversy when he made jokes about Lorry Drivers and Prostitutes, or his mocking of the 'ginger beers', or any number of things he has been in hot water for.

Don't think he is 'Just' picking on cyclists, and if you don't believe me, take a look at this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_controversies

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
2912459 said:
Has he not used his press presence to suggest that he will mow down cyclists who get in his way, or did I imagine that?

Yeah but the press rise to it.Clarkson doesn't bother me really as I know he is a windup and a petrolhead.(Can I say that?)

Also that's the way he makes his money and the public rise to it like sheep.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Do you recall the controversy when he made jokes about Lorry Drivers and Prostitutes, or his mocking of the 'ginger beers', or any number of things he has been in hot water for.

Don't think he is 'Just' picking on cyclists, and if you don't believe me, take a look at this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_controversies
I never said he was just picking on cyclists. Just that what he says can influence some people. That's all.

(edited - 'just' added)

Last edited:

Linford

2912531 said:
Besides, this is a cycling forum for cyclists to use for cycling type stuff, by and large. Deplorable though the stuff about lorry drivers murdering prostitutes and people with ginger hair may be, what of it? It is irrelevant here.

If he said to all lorry drivers to give punishment passes to cyclists, then I might take the accusations seriously, but he does just by and large limit his spiel to ridicule, and not a call for everyone on 2 wheels to victimise every cyclist they see on the roads

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
If he said to all lorry drivers to give punishment passes to cyclists, then I might take the accusations seriously, but he does just by and large limit his spiel to ridicule, and not a call for everyone on 2 wheels to victimise every cyclist they see on the roads
But ridicule --> those ridiculed are less 'worthy' than us --> those ridiculed don't deserve consideration --> etc.

It doesn't need specific incitement to harm to affect the attitudes of some to the detriment of some cyclists those folks may come across on the roads. I'm not saying it's a bit effect, but it is one we can do without.

Top Bottom