Trouble removing pedals and crankset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
removing them on the bike was a non starter. The force needed meant it was not possible to hold the bike. I tried against a wall but was putting too much stain on the forks/headset.
In order to achieve the 'instantaneous' moment/force one needs to support the bottom bracket with a solid item (otherwise the tyres cushion the effort). Why do you think the stain (sic) on the forks (sic - it's a fork) and/or headset would be too much? They're designed to cope with such forces for their day job.

Last edited:

silva

Über Member
the problem with "inside" tool contact screw heads (like hexagon & allen keys) is
1) the small inside surface that has to pass the tools force,
2) the small momentum the tools force has on the turning axis (due to the small distance from the center) and
3) the larger outside surface that sits close, or makes contact with, the material on which has to be mounted.
I think there isn't any alternative than hexagon due to the small available area.
So, it's all about prevention. I put the same oil as my chain on thread of typical problematic mounts (automotive oil, because it was cheap). Since, I didn't have hard times anymore when having to replace a pedal. The days of putting the bicycle against the wall under the window then jump on the big key are gone.

Leaway2

Lycrist
In order to achieve the 'instantaneous' moment/force one needs to support the bottom bracket with a solid item (otherwise the tyres cushion the effort). Why do you think the stain (sic) on the forks (sic - it's a fork) and/or headset would be too much? They're designed to cope with such forces for their day job.
I bow to your superior knowledge and thank you for the corrections to the grammar. I would add that it had been to a LBS who couldn't get them off

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Since watching this video I have never had a problem. Always turn the spanner towards the back of the bike (from above).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SDDYjWfQOk

Worse case scenario would be to use a cheater bar on the end of the spanner.

hqdefault.jpg

Top Bottom