Truck hazard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Euro, sorry if your first post has met with such opposistion.
At present the number of incidents involving HGV's/LGV's seems to be on the increase overall. The last week has certainly seen a number of cyclists killed on the road in London.
Boris, I don't think will dare stick his head into this, yet. Its only adverse publicity for him if he does. When somethings done or said will be done, that might see a decrease in the number of incidents, then he'll pop his head above the parapet.

buggi

Bird Saviour
everyone has a responsibility! There are good drivers, bad drivers, good companies, bad companies, good truck design, bad truck design, good driver training, bad driver training, good cyclist behaviour, bad cyclist behaviour, good road design, bad road design. Maybe we should all stop blaming each other and look at our own behaviours and, as I've said before, start working together to put in layer on layer of processes and best practice to keep cyclists safe. No cyclist sets out to get killed, no driver sets off from home to kill. All humans are fallible and we should all strive to behave in a way to reduce these awful circumstances in whatever way we can. Road designers should be speaking to both cyclists and truck companies when designing roads and junctions, everyone should be talking about how we are going to stop this together, not standing around shouting and blaming each other, which is exactly what's going on right now.
Hats off to the OP who had the guts to come on here, in the current climate, admit he's a truck driver and state how upset they are.

RT2

[QUOTE 2771703, member: 30090"]Good to see that RT is representing...:becool:[/quote]

Glad someone noticed! :-)
Hi again everyone, I've been tempted back to CC by recent events, although for some reason I've had to re register as my original username doesn't seem to work any more. This thread ... http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=106915 ... is a more accurate representation of my views though. Try and ignore Carryfast, who really does seem to be quite a blinkered character. I'm only grateful that he doesn't drive any more.

Last edited:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Euro, you are coming here to the converted. The answer for cyclists is to stay well away from big vehicles, and not to try and squeeze past.
Euro's to be congratulated and encouraged for joining in and letting people know how he feels and to share his experience... we are all more aware of the dangers but if it helps to educate just one person who's perhaps just starting out cycling again then any post can't be criticised.
:welcome: Euro!

rbreid

Old git on old bikes
What "guts" does it take to make an anonymous victim-blaming post on a cyclists' forum?
You must have read a different Original post to me. Victim blaming???? Entrenchment blurring vision has spoilt what for 9 or so posts was forming a quite constructive thread. Unlikely that anything positive will come from this thread now other than an emotive non constructive shouting match. Shame it always seems to go this way on this subject and common sense and common ground get burried in pointless animosity and hatred.Very sad

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
What "guts" does it take to make an anonymous victim-blaming post on a cyclists' forum?
...that post is helping nobody TC... in fact it probably merits deleting it yourself.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
You must have read a different Original post to me. Victim blaming???? Entrenchment blurring vision has spoilt what for 9 or so posts was forming a quite constructive thread. Unlikely that anything positive will come from this thread now other than an emotive non constructive shouting match. Shame it always seems to go this way on this subject and common sense and common ground get burried in pointless animosity and hatred.Very sad

Lorries/drivers/hauliers/construction firms are killing cyclists and pedestrians with impunity, and a truck driver posts anonymously on a cyclists' forum to say they should get foghorns. Insulting doesn't even begin to describe it. If I sound angry, then it's because I am. Every time a thread appears in Cyclist Down, my blood runs cold as I click the link to the report with the inevitable picture of the mangled bike, half-expecting to recognize the wreckage. Then there's the moment of relief, followed by the second sickening feeling that your own relief is someone else's catastrophe. And then come the excuses and the victim-blaming, and the supposedly "well-meaning" idiotic and useless advice, all of which only ever amounts to one thing - those who are doing the killing refusing to take responsibility for it. When Steve Wright was killing women in Ipswich, police gave conferences advising women to stay off the streets, and we were catapulted back to 1977. "If you are out alone at night, you are putting yourself in danger." Women weren't putting themselves in danger then, and cyclists and pedestrians aren't putting themselves in danger now. Others are putting us in danger. And we, apparently, are supposed to indulge them. No thanks.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
None at all... it's a cycling forum... it's not a physical contest TC, it's unwarranted abuse, would you speak in that way to a total stranger in the street- what would they think of you?

Abuse? Where? The post you took exception to was a response to Buggi - I disagreed with her assessment of the OP's bravery. If you want to roll with the analogies, I certainly wouldn't accost a group of cyclists in the street and tell them that they'd better get foghorns if they want to make it to the end of the week.

buggi

Bird Saviour

at what point, in the post below, is any blame laid? I see someone saying they he and his colleagues are distressed too and suggesting a perfectly plausible idea for a tool to bring us to their attention if all else has failed.

My fellow truck drivers and I are distressed by the number of truck/cyclist incidents (see trucknet). If any of my family were cycling, I would ask them to bolt on one of those compressed-air foghorns as used by recreational sailors.

Perhaps they are just as pissed off as we are that their employers refuse to accept responsibility and invest some money. Can't be a very nice prospect getting in your truck knowing you might be the next truck driver to do this bcoz you can't see out your cab.

your analogy doesn't make sense either. Telling women to stay off the streets isn't victim blaming, its just saying lets take some sensible precautions until we catch this killer. Suggesting a fog horn isn't saying its our responsibility to tell the truck driver we are there, its just a tool he suggests which may help us if a trucker hasn't seen us coz its louder than your scream.

Last edited:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
at what point, in the post below, is any blame laid? I see someone saying they he and his colleagues are distressed too and suggesting a perfectly plausible idea for a tool to bring us to their attention if all else has failed.

Perhaps they are just as ****ed off as we are that their employers refuse to accept responsibility and invest some money. Can't be a very nice prospect getting in your truck knowing you might be the next truck driver to do this bcoz you can't see out your cab.

Not distressed enough to hang around and listen. I see "Euro" hasn't been back to answer @jarlrmai's question. His contribution, if one can dignify it with that name, appears limited to the OP. I believe this is what is known as a "sh1t and run".

Top Bottom