trust your base training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
I see so many guys meaning to go out and do some long miles, yet let the wheels touch the road and they search out a mountain and end it after 40miles and call it HIT.
Trust your miles, they won't ever let you down. You'll do so much more later on with the harder training avec some steady long rides In The bank.
Set your base period and ignore the HIT stuff till you're strong and fit.
I haven't ridden over the winter so I've got another 7weeks base yet. Big miles don't break knees-big gears do. Happy spinning

L14M

Über Member
:bicycle: I just ride my bike.

50000tears

I have an idea of the level you have ridden at so your numbers will be very different to mine. Can you give an indication though of the kind of miles you are doing per week for your base and perhaps what an aspiring club rider should be aiming for?

Interested in this myself as having had a lot of my winter work, having only started riding properly in September, being done on a stationary bike and interval based (largely due to the crappy weather) I am now looking to build a solid base myself over the next ten weeks. My last week was just over 160 miles but that was helped by a Sportive ride, but am thinking along the lines of 150 miles a week for the ten weeks.

50000tears

Base is bollox.

Well clearly not given that pros will still do a base building block of training before the season starts. The real question is how it fits into everyday life for the 99% of the cycling population that cannot give the time to spend several hours a day on the road. For them another way needs to be sought.

400bhp

Guru
Well clearly not given that pros will still do a base building block of training before the season starts. The real question is how it fits into everyday life for the 99% of the cycling population that cannot give the time to spend several hours a day on the road. For them another way needs to be sought.

It was slightly tongue in cheek given the cringeworthy prose of the OP.

Albeit there are quite a few peeps (pros included) that seem to be moving away from base training.

Plus it depends upon what you are training for.

50000tears

It was slightly tongue in cheek given the cringeworthy prose of the OP.

Albeit there are quite a few peeps (pros included) that seem to be moving away from base training.

Plus it depends upon what you are training for.

True enough on all counts.

For me it is just spending time out on the bike to get my fitness up. I am not too good at this steady riding stuff and tend to push as hard as I can for as long as I am out. Also due to all the hills around my ,riding long easy base miles is difficult when every few minutes you are faced with yet another climb.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/193403083X
Upshot of the 1t edition is go like the clappers for whatever time you have :smile:

montage

God Almighty
Can I hear a hallelujah!

...careful where you preach from!

What is base? If you're a racing base is probably hard tempo and lower threshold work. If you aren't racing, then fitness is fitness and the concept of periodisation goes out the window. If you're a TTer base is probably what you listen to in your oversized headphone trying to look swag on your turbo whilst warming up!!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Is it worth getting. Funnily enough was looking at this earlier but was a little put off by the mixed reviews. Also without a HRM or a power meter which I understand is almost a requirement to get the most out of the training.
Indeed , a HRM can be had for £15 from argos .I got my copy from ebay for a couple of quid but tbh if you take my commuting times ( maybe 6 hours on a full week ) i might get 1-3 hours of time to train atm .

OP
OP
JasonHolder

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
My base has been 400 miles in the last week. All below threshold and a long way below. 100m Friday and 100m today.
Sorry for sounding garish as some guys have pointed out.
I am a git.

Screenshot_2014-04-18-18-07-23.png
Screenshot_2014-04-20-14-39-46.png
Screenshot_2014-04-20-14-39-46.png

Top Bottom