Try a food you might not have tasted.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I suggest Yam, specifically fried Yam chips.

You can even buy Yam in most high street supermarkets now. Cut off the outer skin with a good margin, if you don't it will be bitter. Cut it into small irregular shapes and cook it in hot oil until the outer is crisp.

Taste is not unlike chestnuts you roast on the fire at Christmas.

I suggest Yam, specifically fried Yam chips.

You can even buy Yam in most high street supermarkets now. Cut off the outer skin with a good margin, if you don't it will be bitter. Cut it into small irregular shapes and cook it in hot oil until the outer is crisp.

Taste is not unlike chestnuts you roast on the fire at Christmas.
Yamtus!

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I-yam-what-I-yam.jpe

Attachments

• I-yam-what-I-yam.jpe
    I-yam-what-I-yam.jpe
    30.2 KB · Views: 51

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My first thought on reading this was 'are yams the same thing as sweet potatoes?' Googling suggests I'm not the first person to have wondered this. The answer, it turns out, being no. I've seen yams in shops, but never knew what they were. As far as I know, I've never had yam. I must try this. Sounds like the kind of thing my family like.

TVC

Fried cassava is pretty nice

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I also quite like fufu but it needs something with a strong flavour to accompany it.

Fufu as you probably know is very popular here. You don't really need a strong flavour to accompany it. Mostly eaten with stews and something called Light Soup, tomatoes, chilli and onion blended and chicken or whatever added.

dim

South African sweet potato:

boil the sweet potato (cubed) in boiling water with a little salt .... when soft, drain and before mashing, add a tablespoon of brown sugar and a level teaspoon of ground cinnamon

add a good dollop of butter, then mash ... serve hot with BBQ'd meat of your choice and a greek salad with loads of feta cheese, fersh basil, olives some dried oregano and a good splash of extra virgin olive oil

I've never tried Yams, but have seen them here in Cambridge. Also lots of plantain (those huge banana thingys)

MarkF

Guru
I tried this last week, I went in one of the two a large Aisan supermarkets on Vicar Lane, Leeds, with MrsF. Usually I go in to buy cans of A&W Root Beer which is .70p per can against about £1.20+ in the USA sweet shops. This time I had a good look around and it was great, large lines from, Japan, Singapore, Malaysia, The Philippines etc

We decided to try some new food and bought (From memory).

A big bag of little bags of crisps that were of dried achovies, seaweed, peanuts & chilies.
Roasted eel in salsa sauce.
Dried mackerel and black beans.
Mung bean pasties.
Aloe Vera soda.

Everything was bleedin horrible.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Sweet potatoes mashed 25/75% with ordinary potatoes are delicious. Turnip and swedes also work well but not as tasty.

For winter veg this is quick, easy, delicious and goes with just about everything.

Chose any root vegetables you like, dice in to pieces of roughly equal size, slice as much garlic as you like (cloves can be left whole), season generously, chuck on some sage or thyme if available. Toss the whole lot in olive oil and spread out on baking tray. Gas mark 5 or 6 till cooked.

Top Bottom