Trying to get a covid booster in Scotland.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Anyone else in Scotland tried using the new portal which has been set up for residents of Scotland to book a covid19 booster?
I was one of the first to get the original 2 vaccine jabs, as at the time of jab #1 I was working in a care home. I left there in January, but still got under the radar for jab #2, on Feb 18th. So that's almost exactly 9 months ago, so I am overdue the booster.

Problem is, the system of course doesn't recognise that anyone might not have the standard circumstances, and assumes that because I am in the 50/59 age bracket, and now no longer a care worker, I am not due a booster just yet. The earliest appointment I can get using the portal is January 4th 2022, and that is 40 miles away! None of the local (ish) vaccination centres could give me an appointment at all in the date range of their system, i.e. up to mid January. What can I say, without resorting to politics :rolleyes:. But it's just another example of the farcical stuff going on north of the border. Talking a good game in the press, encouraging people to come and get vaccinated, radio advertising campaigns etc., but the reality is much different.

Next step is to try the phone booking system, which will no doubt be a lengthy and painful process.

alicat

Legendary Member
How about contacting your GP surgery?

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Also in England
We struggled to get junior 12-15 (who for various reasons didn't get it at school) his first jab, offered initially 30 or 50 miles away :eek:
'luckily' I became aware a local trust was offering a one off weekend slot for Juniors & managed to get him booked in

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Are there any walk in centres?
Yes, but confusingly this is what the website says....

Please note that at this time you cannot drop-in to our Mass Vaccination Centres for a booster vaccine (third dose) if you are eligible or a seasonal flu vaccine. Those groups are being appointed at the moment, so please look out for a blue envelope with details on when and where you should attend for booster vaccine and seasonal flu.

I am an annual flu jabber due to a medical condition, so the way I read that is that I need to wait for both until invited!

bruce1530

Guru
I'm in a similar position - in the 50-59 category. Last time I got a priority appointment due to underlying health condition (diabetes). So my "6 months" was up last week, and technically I'm due the booster now.
But the "underlying health condition" priority appears to have gone. It actually makes sense - they gave some people priority for the first jag (it's a "jag" in Scotland, not a "jab"!) and even though these people don't get "priority" any more, they still can potentially get in first, since their 6 months will be "up" before the rest.

So when the appointments opened on Monday this week, I tried to book. Earliest at my local centre (@Brandane that's Ardrossan) was the week before Christmas. I managed to get an appointment the week before that in Irvine.

In most of Scotland, GP surgeries have little to do with the process - they're only dealing with over-80s. Although I think the situation is different in more rural areas (Argyll is the one I heard about)

bruce1530

Guru
I've also heard of people in Glasgow area getting appointments for early Dec thru the post. Including a friend who lives Southside, about 5 mins walk from one of the main vac centres, but was given an appointment in Milngavie (10 miles and 2 trains away, and in a different county!)

bruce1530

Guru
And if you're eligible for a free flu jag (which in Scotland includes all 50+) you can also get it free at a community pharmacy. I have heard of some people who didn't want flu and covid fax on same day getting their flu jags at pharmacy.

Anyone else in Scotland tried using the new portal which has been set up for residents of Scotland to book a covid19 booster?
I was one of the first to get the original 2 vaccine jabs, as at the time of jab #1 I was working in a care home. I left there in January, but still got under the radar for jab #2, on Feb 18th. So that's almost exactly 9 months ago, so I am overdue the booster.

Problem is, the system of course doesn't recognise that anyone might not have the standard circumstances, and assumes that because I am in the 50/59 age bracket, and now no longer a care worker, I am not due a booster just yet. The earliest appointment I can get using the portal is January 4th 2022, and that is 40 miles away! None of the local (ish) vaccination centres could give me an appointment at all in the date range of their system, i.e. up to mid January. What can I say, without resorting to politics :rolleyes:. But it's just another example of the farcical stuff going on north of the border. Talking a good game in the press, encouraging people to come and get vaccinated, radio advertising campaigns etc., but the reality is much different.

Next step is to try the phone booking system, which will no doubt be a lengthy and painful process.
I got my second jab in mid May so am now due the booster. As soon as the portal opened for the over 50’s I was on it trying to find an appointment. Despite listing many local health centres on the portal, none had any appointments this side of Christmas. I’ve had to book instead at the Royal Highland Showground at Ingliston, but the earliest I could get was 13th Dec, a full month away.
There’s been no end of issues with getting the booster in Lothian.

Top Bottom