Trying to get a covid booster in Scotland.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
Some very specific parts of Scotland perhaps but I found no problem and none of my relatives have either. This covers an area from Shetland to south east of Glasgow.
If you mean Nhs Highland, you can't book your appointment, you have to wait for the blue letter.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
If you mean Nhs Highland, you can't book your appointment, you have to wait for the blue letter.
I am in NHS Highland and no blue letter. I just got a phone call with an invitation to book on the spot.

Slick

Guru
I am in NHS Highland and no blue letter. I just got a phone call with an invitation to book on the spot.
Ah, I suppose there are all sorts of personal circumstances but it does say on the site that if you are in that area wait until you are contacted by them. Much like you did, don't call us, we will call you. :okay:

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I’ve booked my booster ? It a week before the 6 month is up though. No appt after that date and for the whole of January ? however just thinking it might be the centre I’ve chosen. Not sure a week less is going to make much odds ? Getting my flu vaccine tomorrow arranged at work .

I’ve booked my booster ? It a week before the 6 month is up though. No appt after that date and for the whole of January ? however just thinking it might be the centre I’ve chosen. Not sure a week less is going to make much odds ? Getting my flu vaccine tomorrow arranged at work .
On the nhs.scot appointment booking site it specifies 24 weeks rather than 6 months.

Got to hear today, through a friend of a friend, that further slots have become available in Lothian. Have just logged in and been able to bring forward my appointment by 2 weeks. A satisfactory result but its a shame that they couldn’t have provided the full set of slots at the time they launched the booking site.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Got to hear today, through a friend of a friend, that further slots have become available in Lothian. Have just logged in and been able to bring forward my appointment by 2 weeks. A satisfactory result but its a shame that they couldn’t have provided the full set of slots at the time they launched the booking site.
Will go look as I moved mine back a week thinking they would refuse me as less than 6 months ? Gonna try and advance it now .

nb. the bit about 24 weeks is on the collapsible blue bar at the top...
12BC3DFF-0689-4E1C-ABD9-5B2722E2A8E2.png

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Update:
Having booked my covid booster online and received it on Saturday 20th November, of course the blue envelope dropped through my door on the 24th, inviting me for my booster locally on December 11th :rolleyes: .
I have been trying to do the right thing by cancelling my appointment, but....
The online portal does not allow you to cancel an appointment; it can only be used to rearrange an appointment.
Tried the phone number this morning but waiting times are 25 minutes. Sorry, not waiting that long.
So what to do? Just fail to appear and risk getting put on some "did not attend" NHS blacklist for the rest of my days? Or...
Turn up on December 11th and explain the situation. Or....
Turn up on December 11th and DON'T explain the situation, and maybe get an extra dose of vaccine! :ohmy:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Turn up on December 11th and explain the situation. Or....
Turn up on December 11th and DON'T explain the situation, and maybe get an extra dose of vaccine! :ohmy:
I would go for the first option lol
How did it go?
I had no side effects whatsoever. Was a wee bit apprehensive about a reaction to my first flu vac combined with the booster, but all good.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
I would go for the first option lol
How did it go?
I had no side effects whatsoever. Was a wee bit apprehensive about a reaction to my first flu vac combined with the booster, but all good.
Further update.... Waiting times on the 0800 helpline had reduced to 10 mins this afternoon, so I managed to speak to someone and cancelled my upcoming appointment. However, she told me (obviously reading from a script) that by cancelling my appointment I risked being denied the opportunity in the future from being considered for any further boosters! I pointed out to her that I was only cancelling to save wasting an appointment as I have already had my booster, and not because I was withdrawing from the vaccination programme - as their script seemed to be assuming :rolleyes:. Anyway, after some discussion I was losing the will to live, so we will just need to wait and see what happens when/if the next round of boosters comes along.

As far as the jags went, I had a slightly tender left arm from the covid jag, but zero other symptoms. The flu jab was the following day, and again no reaction to that.

Top Bottom