Trying to index gears but failing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A trip Down to your LBS maybe.

OP
OP
N

nrosko

I'm not sure of the technical names here, i loosed the cable completely & unscrewed the metal bolt out but the metal bolt the barrel screws in does screw in much when inserting it back in, i wonder if the thread s damaged? Bike hasn't been used a great deal.

Slick

Guru
I had a bit of trouble the other week but the barrel adjuster was at its full extension so I had to release it and retension it by hand then adjust as normal. Your issue may be different, but worth checking before taking it to LBS.

Slick

Guru
I'm not sure of the technical names here, i loosed the cable completely & unscrewed the metal bolt out but the metal bolt the barrel screws in does screw in much when inserting it back in, i wonder if the thread s damaged? Bike hasn't been used a great deal.
Put more tension in the cable before you re tighten.

OP
OP
N

nrosko

Pliers & a bit of force & its back on & seems to be working as designed.
Until i try & select gear 1 & 2 & the gears will not shift, like the shifter just doesn't budge from 3rd to second. Could that be the lower limit setting? surely it wouldn't be 2 gears out?

OP
OP
N

nrosko

Yes, I then turned the barrel all the way in.
The problem is now even worse & i only have the 3 biggest gears:wacko:.
If i completely loosen the cable the big gear lever will not click across. Could it be the shifter?

OP
OP
N

nrosko

Yes, I then turned the barrel all the way in.
The problem is now even worse & i only have the 3 biggest gears:wacko:.
If i completely loosen the cable the big gear lever will not click across. Could it be the shifter?

OK sussed it. I assume I messed it up because i was shifting without the cable taut when i was trying to resolve the other issue. So i fixed it by shifting several times to the highest gear with the chain on the smallest cog already but with the cable not taut.
I guess i'm too stupid to realise that using the gear shifter is lengthening & shortening the cable & i need the longest bit of cable on the biggest gear to get all of the gears.

Thanks for all the help & input here.

Top Bottom