TT bike build on a budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After starting cycling less than 2 years ago and knowing NOTHING AT ALL about bike building (I barely know how to change a tyre), on the spur of the moment and attracted by the heavily discounted price, I bought this frameset.

https://www.moda-bikes.com/collections/framesets/products/new-moda-mossa

I don't know much about Moda bikes, I know they've got a pretty good reputation for track bikes so I assume they know their stuff in the speed/lightness/aerodynamics department.

I'm now on a mission and aim to:
  1. learn how to build a bike in general (and a TT bike in particular)
  2. build it on a budget. I'd like to stay below the £1,000 mark and will focus on finding other heavily discounted products on the web and/or look at the 2nd hand market
  3. build the bike by the end of winter. It's a long time but in between sourcing parts and learning how to build, I know it's going to take its sweet sweet time
I'll post photos of the frameset and the components it comes with as soon as I get it delivered.

Wish me luck and get ready to be pestered with a lot of silly questions :laugh:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Well done for starting and that frameset's a bargain; I finished bike build no. 27 last week (a Dawes Kingpin). Moda's framesets are decent but a bit heavy. Once you're moving in a TT that won't matter.

Suggestions: take your time and make sure you're comfortable doing each stage.

My Principia TT bike was built for about £350 using second-hand components that I sourced from eBay / forums / contacts, hence why the ADR front/rear wheels have different logos in the build thread - these days it's got my son's old slightly-bent rear disc instead. I have never got round to re-doing the decals ... yet!

You don't need 11 speed; 10 speed is fine and it'll mean a rear deep section/disc wheel is cheaper second-hand giving you funds to spend elsewhere.

Last edited:
I don't know much about Moda bikes
Moda bikes. Hmmmm.
The name and bike moulds are now owned by the guy who used to be the UK outlet for Kuota bikes. They disappeared from view, so DHW bought the Moda brand.
What you have bought is probably one of the old stock that he has been selling off before he starts the new regime. Not that there should be anything wrong with that, you have probably got a decent deal.

I've not seen them, but a good mate has, and he says that the new models are pretty good. As they are made from the old moulds you should be just fine.

The only downside to all this is the guy himself. Stories are legion about his after sales service, or lack of it. He has what could be called a flowery vocabulary. He appears to believe that once he has your money you are on your own.

I have one of his Kuota frames. I asked for a spare mech hanger and he quoted me £75. When I ventured the opinion that was a bit steep I was told to F**k Off.

rivers

How far can I go?
After starting cycling less than 2 years ago and knowing NOTHING AT ALL about bike building (I barely know how to change a tyre), on the spur of the moment and attracted by the heavily discounted price, I bought this frameset.

https://www.moda-bikes.com/collections/framesets/products/new-moda-mossa

I don't know much about Moda bikes, I know they've got a pretty good reputation for track bikes so I assume they know their stuff in the speed/lightness/aerodynamics department.

I'm now on a mission and aim to:
  1. learn how to build a bike in general (and a TT bike in particular)
  2. build it on a budget. I'd like to stay below the £1,000 mark and will focus on finding other heavily discounted products on the web and/or look at the 2nd hand market
  3. build the bike by the end of winter. It's a long time but in between sourcing parts and learning how to build, I know it's going to take its sweet sweet time
I'll post photos of the frameset and the components it comes with as soon as I get it delivered.

Wish me luck and get ready to be pestered with a lot of silly questions :laugh:
I'll have a new shimano 105 r7000 crankset going spare in about a week's time. I have a new bike sat waiting for me at the shop, but I'll be swapping the 50/34 crankset out for a 46/30 (it's my bikepacking bike). Let me know if it's of interest.

This maybe a silly question, but do you actually want/need a TT bike? They are not the most forgiving of machines.

I do triathlons so I'll put her to good use eventually.

Do I need a TT/Triathlon bike to do triathlons? Not really, clip on aero bars on my Giant TCR are more than I'll ever need.

I guess it was the appealing price plus the fact I want to start playing about and learning more about bike building.

I'll have a new shimano 105 r7000 crankset going spare in about a week's time. I have a new bike sat waiting for me at the shop, but I'll be swapping the 50/34 crankset out for a 46/30 (it's my bikepacking bike). Let me know if it's of interest.

Cheers, I actually have a shimano rs-510 laying around so crankset wise I'm covered. I just need EVERYTHING ELSE :laugh:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I do triathlons so I'll put her to good use eventually.

Do I need a TT/Triathlon bike to do triathlons? Not really, clip on aero bars on my Giant TCR are more than I'll ever need.

I guess it was the appealing price plus the fact I want to start playing about and learning more about bike building.
Sounds like the perfect use - even if you do want to ruin a nice bike ride by getting wet on purpose and then having to run afterwards. Good luck with finding parts.

Well done for starting and that frameset's a bargain; I finished bike build no. 27 last week (a Dawes Kingpin). Moda's framesets are decent but a bit heavy. Once you're moving in a TT that won't matter.

Suggestions: take your time and make sure you're comfortable doing each stage.

My Principia TT bike was built for about £350 using second-hand components that I sourced from eBay / forums / contacts, hence why the ADR front/rear wheels have different logos in the build thread - these days it's got my son's old slightly-bent rear disc instead. I have never got round to re-doing the decals ... yet!

You don't need 11 speed; 10 speed is fine and it'll mean a rear deep section/disc wheel is cheaper second-hand giving you funds to spend elsewhere.

Oh man, your principia looks incredible. The kind of bike batman would ride :okay:

Now that my moda frameset has arrived (photos later on today), I can start thinking about other components.

I was looking at deals on the planet x website and came across this tt handlebar:

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HBSEULTCHR/selcof-ultra-chrono-carbon-tt-handlebar

Looks the part, I give it that, but I don't know if it's a good deal or not. Any of you have any experience with Selcof components?

And which way would you go for your tt cockpit? Would you buy something like that all in one nice and tidy or would you go down the route of base bar and then attach the clip on aerobars? Maybe the second option offers a higher degree of flexibility and customisation?

Finally took some photos of what Moda bikes sent me

First impressions:
  • everything was incredibly well packaged. Kudos to Moda bikes for that
  • it feels very light, but that's also the first time I ever have only a frame in my hands so I have literally nothing to compare it with :laugh:
  • the frame is aluminium but doesn't look it to be honest...the welds are super smooth
  • needs a threaded bottom bracket, which really intrigues me. I have 2 bikes: one with square tapered cartridge and one with press fit, and I've never had any troubles with either one but I keep reading people raving about the threaded bb's so I'm curious to see what that's all about.
  • I've never seen a headset like that, I'm talking about the long grippy bit branded "kuota". I don't know anything about bikes but I assume that thing goes into the fork tube and by tightening the bolt that grippy thing expands and grips to the fork. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ok, now that I've got these parts, off I go writing a shopping list of components I need :okay:

Top Bottom