TT bike build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I've always fancied a go at time trialling, so I've decided to build a TT bike this summer. This will be the first bike I've built myself.

I've got loads of bit and bobs spare from upgrading my other bikes and have ordered the rest of what I need. It's going to be based around a Planet-X Stealth carbon frame and fork combo. This is an entry level frame, but one that is highly regarded and most importantly...cheap!!!

It's going to be built with:

DA 53/39 crankset (originally on my Dogma)
Ultegra Mechs (no need for DA here)
DA bar end shifters (only indexed one's shimano make)
Profile aero base and bars (entry level stuff)
Cosmic Carbone SL deep section wheels (on my Dogma Currently)
105 brakes (Not doing alpine descents so only need a functional set)
Selle Italia Seat (Originally from the Dogma)
Deda Stem (already have)
Ultegra Cassette (already on the Cosmic's)
Shimano Aero brake levers (entry level)
New KMC Chain (already have)
Ultegra BB
Speedplay Zero pedals

The only thing I'm not sure about is headset and cabling, so I'm going to build what I can and then get the LBS boys to finish it off with cabling and a descent bartape job.

Then out to test it....on a calm wind day for sure. Pictures of the build will be put up here.
Orders went in today, so stuff should start to arrive this week. :wahhey:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Go for it, sounds like a fun project.
Get some tri bars and get out on the TT's while your build is progressing as well. :thumbsup:

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Buy a proper TT saddle! Try to borrow a few 1st to see which suits because there is nothing worse than having you gooch battered for an hour or so when riding a 25!

Which Profile bars did you buy? I have a set that are useless. I would recommend the Zipp Alumina Clip, the adjustability is immense and they look almost as clean as integrated setups. Considering they are made by Zipp, the price is surprisingly good.

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I got given a profile T3 set but with spare T2 bars, so have either S-bend or a more relaxed grip. I'll see how I get on with the current saddle as I already have it (and it's comfortable). If it proves problematic then I will buy another later on.

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Go for it, sounds like a fun project.
Get some tri bars and get out on the TT's while your build is progressing as well. :thumbsup:

Yep, got a club ride tomorrow and the tri-bars are on the Dogma for practice purposes. I've not ridden tri-bars before so it'll be an education for sure. I'll make sure I take it easy and be out front or out back of the group when I get down on them.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I got given a profile T3 set but with spare T2 bars, so have either S-bend or a more relaxed grip. I'll see how I get on with the current saddle as I already have it (and it's comfortable). If it proves problematic then I will buy another later on.

Yeah I suppose worth a shot with the current saddle, but as you rotate forward the weight will move from the sit bones to the soft tissue, this is where the discomfort kicks in, also the saddle will start poking you in the bollocks unless you slide right forward on it, again transferring weight to the soft bits! What once was comfy, may well become horrific. Hence the fat padded noses on TT saddles. I am currently riding on a loaned saddle, an ugly as sin Adamo saddle but it is very comfy and can get a lot of power out even in an aggressive position.

The Profile bars once set up are fine, although they do lack certain desirable adjustment options they are functional and some of them look good, my clubmate has a Profile bar setup that looks great, I thought they were a carbon integrated setup at 1st, but they are an alu base bar and clip on set, my setup looks crap. The main things I don't like about the profile clip on bars (T2+ is what I have, I don't think the T3+ is much different though) is the arm pad is shite, it can move a bit so it starts to wear out and rip on the bottom and the padding becomes flat and non-padded in quite a short time, 50-60 hours ride time and they start to feel like riding on a bare plastic arm rest. Also, they paid absolutely no attention to bolt alignment when designing the damn things so to make 1 tweak, you end up having to disassemble large parts of them to get at the relevant bolt.

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Yeah I suppose worth a shot with the current saddle, but as you rotate forward the weight will move from the sit bones to the soft tissue, this is where the discomfort kicks in, also the saddle will start poking you in the bollocks unless you slice right forward on it, again transferring weight to the soft bits! What once was comfy, may well become horrific. Hence the fat padded noses on TT saddles. I am currently riding on a loaned saddle, an ugly as sin Adamo saddle but it is very comfy and can get a lot of power out even in an aggressive position.

The Profile bars once set up are fine, although they do lack certain desirable adjustment options they are functional and some of them look good, my clubmate has a Profile bar setup that looks great, I thought they were a carbon integrated setup at 1st, but they are an alu base bar and clip on set, my setup looks crap. The main things I don't like about the profile clip on bars (T2+ is what I have, I don't think the T3+ is much different though) is the arm pad is s***e, it can move a bit so it starts to wear out and rip on the bottom and the padding becomes flat and non-padded in quite a short time, 50-60 hours ride time and they start to feel like riding on a bare plastic arm rest. Also, they paid absolutely no attention to bolt alignment when designing the damn things so to make 1 tweak, you end up having to disassemble large parts of them to get at the relevant bolt.

My LBS has a rack of test Fizik saddles including an Ares, so once built I may take that for a spin and see if it feels better. I think the T2 bars look quite nice once correctly positioned. I will keep an eye on the pads.......

VamP

Banned
Sounds like a fun project. Enjoy.

Give the headset and cables a go as well. It's not hard - even I can do it. You can always take it to the LBS after.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I agree, do the cabling yourself. You will want to custom cut the cables to suit the setup, so best to do it yourself so you can spend time on the bike adjusting the position and sorting the cables to suit.

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Bits arrived today:

249045_467182820028654_514338445_n.jpg

And I've built the bars:

http://instagram.com/p/ZQEe4Xo8XL/

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Nice, those are the base bars my clubmate had that I said looked good.

Re. the Garmin mount, how close can you get the bars and still twist it on and off?

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Just got the shipping notification from Planet-X, so hopefully I can start the build proper tomorrow night...yay. The only thing I don't have is a headset and spacers, but my LBS has loads, so I'm going to trawl down there once it's mostly built and make sure I get the right one, plus some nice while cables and white bar tape. One evening's worth of work and it should be good to go. Shame I'm away for work Weds & Thursday....:cursing:

I'll get it on a turbo first to tweak the position and take it through a dry run/make sure everything is tight and working........then pray for a calm and sunny day.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
There's a good 5mm either side when twisting off.....trust me I did check before putting it together :laugh:

I mean, how close can you get the bars and still get the Garmin on/off, they aren't at their closest in the picture. I ask because I can not twist mine off when mounted on the stem if I put the bars any closer, yet I could ideally do with pushing them together a bit more. I have an out front mount but haven't tried it on the setup because, well......... I can't be arsed, lol!

OP
OP
jdtate101

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I mean, how close can you get the bars and still get the Garmin on/off, they aren't at their closest in the picture. I ask because I can not twist mine off when mounted on the stem if I put the bars any closer, yet I could ideally do with pushing them together a bit more. I have an out front mount but haven't tried it on the setup because, well......... I can't be arsed, lol!

I think this might be the answer:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/raceware-garmin-bar-mount-tt/

As it mounts to the extension bar it should be high enough for clearance.

Top Bottom