TT on A1

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Sorry, but would someone mind confirming
"SC" - Single Carriageway
"DC" - Dual Carriageway
and what is "SPOCO"?

Yes, yes and SPOrting COurses- generally on lanes and quieter roads.

http://www.spoco-se.org.uk/index.php?p=about

Crankarm

Guru
Two weeks ago, a woman was killed at a bus stop not a quarter of a mile from my house - I'm not sure of all the details, but by the skid marks still on the road, I suspect the culprit was speeding excessively (there are plenty of morons that regard the Hagley Road as the perfect drag strip, sadly). I happen to walk by that bus stop very regularly, more often than I use DCs or indeed TT. Should I then desist in walking on pavements, as your logic would suggest? Come to think of it, I cycle by there even more often...

The fact is, everything has a risk - there is no activity that is risk free. That one activity has a higher risk than another does not mean that it is inherently dangerous, because these are very small probabilities we're talking about, and twice a very small number is still a very small number. The risk of dual carriageways or time trialling is much lower than most people would believe - but we as a species are actually rather bad in judging risk. And, as @User30090 points out, this already low risk can be further reduced by appropriate behaviour.

Do what you wanna do it's your skin but don't start telling me I am wrong just because I take a different POV to risk. One is entitled to have a different opinion unless of course you would prefer otherwise.

Sharky

Guru
I've TT'd on many different types of courses and I would conclude that there is no such thing as a "Safe" or "dangerous" course.

I started when U turns were still in operation. On the face of it, these would seem unsafe, but with the right risk assessment and suitable marshalling & signs and rider's awareness, they were quite safe. My lifetime PB was done on the D54, whic had a U-turn and that evening quite a bit of traffic.
I've riddden on the A1 (The O2 course) and felt perfectly safe. Long straight sections where drivers can see riders in the distance and from memory, just one roundabout turn to navigate.
The super fast E72 course - again personaly felt safe as long as you respected the traffic. Always have to be aware of the slip roads. This course is no longer used as I think there eventually there had been too many accidents.
The Rainford Bypass course (D10/1) on a DC, but no slip roads and very safe. First started riding this in 1967 and rode an event there only a couple of years ago - has hardly changed!

The one fatality I was in the same race as, was on the J14 (I think in about 1967/68), which was a SC course and considered safe, but the rider just went into the back of a parked car.

Many Sunday DC events start at very early times when the traffic is very light, although I fail to understand why similar events are allowed on the same roads on Saturday afternoons.

Accidents will happen, but hopefully sensible rsk assessments taken by course designers, organisers AND by the riders themselves will keep the TT sport as safe as it can be.

They only times I have fallen off or have been knocked off have been when NOT racing.

Safe riding
Keith

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
Why would you want to hold a TT on a busy road if you could hold it on a road that was not busy ?

Because there are specific rules around TT courses and trying to find one that satisfies these is quite hard. TT runs usually have to be fairly flat in nature with no junctions or lights and the start and finish must be close to each other. As such most TT courses you will find are "out & back" type affairs on DC's where the turn around is a round-about at halfway. Dual carriageways, for all their drawbacks, fit these requirements almost perfectly hence why they are typically used.

Plus their surfaces tend to be better maintained than side roads. I've ridden 4 TT's on DC's and didn't feel unsafe, but my events were signed and marshalled well, so all the motorists kept their distance.

Top Bottom