Tube liners / protectors - any good - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Having had two puncture in a week in my fairly new Conti Sport Contacts; both caused by sharp 'pyramids' of flint in the centre of the tread, I have considered getting what are usually called 'tube liners / protectors. Variously made by Slime, Panaracer etc., they get very mixed reviews on t'net.
So, views / reviews of the wise of Cyclechat would be appreciated - ! Ta - ! :hello:

DRHysted

Guru
After the beginning of this year when I had a very bad run (I was in double figures mid Feb) I got some tyre liners from an eBay seller in Australia. I had to go so far afield because my cyclocross was running 40mm tyres and most liners were smaller. After installation I have had one puncture on that bike and that was a flooring nail which embedded itself in the rim!! Whether that is because my luck started improving or because they work I don't know

They work but are rubbish. They deaden the ride to the point where it feels as if have lost your masculinity or, someone has cranked up the brakes when you were not looking. Also, they cause punctures along the edges by abrading away at the tube. After a few hundred kms you can see little grooves cut all along the edges. Go a bit further, and they cut through.
They are usually made of PVC, a heavy material with lots of hysteresis (internal frictional losses) that make them dull to ride.

si_c

Guru
As @Yellow Saddle said they're pretty horrible to ride on, my Dad likes them and has them on his bike and their presence is noticeable.

I'd suggest getting tires with better overall puncture protection, Durano+ or Conti 4 seasons spring to mind, but their are other options.

Slick

Guru
In my admittedly limited experience, it's pretty much all in the lap of the gods. I really wanted to upgrade my tyres so fitted the Durano +, the first set lasted a couple of weeks before a piece of glass hit the edge of the protection strip and went into the soft resulting in the obvious. I replaced like for like and still have it fitted over a year later. Fit whatever you think you need, pack a repair kit and keep your fingers crossed.

Licramite

Über Member
for the cost, I think they are worth it, I certainly use them and I ride over some pretty rough terrain, off-roading and such and I reckon they have made a difference.
there worth a try before buying better tyres

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Continental Gaitorskin Hardshell are bomb proof 1 puncture in 1100 miles
You only did 1100 miles before getting a puncture? Find better tyres.

DRHysted

Guru
I've not experienced any of the issues listed by others, nor felt any effect when riding. Nearly all of my riding this year has been commuting so one day when I suffered two on the way to work I tried a different tack.

As I say I do not know whether they worked, or if my bad luck finally finished.

mkmark666

I bought a Panaracer liner at the beginning of the year as I'd had a couple of flint-induced punctures that managed to penetrate my Gatorskins. Just fitted to the rear rather than both wheels. May be just luck of course, but no rear-wheel puncture since fitting

Last edited:
OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
Ordered a pair of Marathon Plus for my hard working commuting bike, mainly on the basis that especially with Winter coming, it'll reduce the likeleyhood of me having to spend quarter of an hour or so changing a tube on a cold, possibly wet :rain: evening. :thumbsdown: Taking a wee bitty longer getting to / from work isn't really an issue for me as oppose to the puncture scenario.
Another 'option' that has been suggested by a couple of LBS bods is to put an old tyre, sans beads inside the running tyre in the style of a liner. As my street bike has new 26 x 1.6 Conti Sport Contact 2s on and I've just taken a pair of old 26 x 1.3 Conti Sport Contact 1s off one of the GLWs bikes, maybe that is a viable option - ? :whistle:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They work but are rubbish. They deaden the ride to the point where it feels as if have lost your masculinity or, someone has cranked up the brakes when you were not looking. Also, they cause punctures along the edges by abrading away at the tube. After a few hundred kms you can see little grooves cut all along the edges. Go a bit further, and they cut through.
They are usually made of PVC, a heavy material with lots of hysteresis (internal frictional losses) that make them dull to ride.

What Yellow Saddle says - same experience of these many years ago.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Ordered a pair of Marathon Plus for my hard working commuting bike, mainly on the basis that especially with Winter coming, it'll reduce the likeleyhood of me having to spend quarter of an hour or so changing a tube on a cold, possibly wet :rain: evening. :thumbsdown: Taking a wee bitty longer getting to / from work isn't really an issue for me as oppose to the puncture scenario.
Another 'option' that has been suggested by a couple of LBS bods is to put an old tyre, sans beads inside the running tyre in the style of a liner. As my street bike has new 26 x 1.6 Conti Sport Contact 2s on and I've just taken a pair of old 26 x 1.3 Conti Sport Contact 1s off one of the GLWs bikes, maybe that is a viable option - ? :whistle:
Former pro Robert Millar used to use old tubular tyres as inner tubes in the winter. He said he never had a puncture with them, though they made the wheels a bit heavy.

Top Bottom