Tube strike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't want to be holier than thou but there's nothing like a tube strike to bring some real incompetent cyclists out on the road. Several people this morning, all over the road, no awareness of other cyclists. I actually got run into the back of by someone when I was stopped at some lights.

Anyone know if the ambulance service gets is an above average number of cyclist related callouts on days like this?

zimzum42

Legendary Member
Absolute bunch of idiots............

Not the cyclists, but that stupid militant union. Thanks guys, you bunch of outdated dinosaurs.........

Why not go **** up someone else's day?

Safeguarding jobs at a failed company, jokers....

Star_Rover

There were some right numpty cyclists out this morning but some of the car/taxi/van/bus drivers weren't much better (Ok, nothing new there).

LOGAN 5

It was like Amsterdam in London today with so many bikes. The cars were going nowhere which is not unusual for them just more of them going nowhere today. One taxi was so keen to stop cyclists coming up the inside - as he was approaching a long staionary queue down The Mall he squueeze so close to the kerb he scratched his wheel hub cap. The gap he created on his right let all the cyclists past him anyway while he was busy looking in his left hand mirror to see either a. how many cyclists he'd cut off or b.whether his hub cap was crushed and in the road - idiot.

Agree there were some dodgy "just today" cyclists out there. Just have to be that extra bit aware and expect the unexpected from them.

Anyhow got a good excuse to go to work late and do laps round Hyde Park instead and am off early to go the gym. Will be doing this for the duration of the strike.

domtyler

Über Member
Good luck to the strikers, I hope you guys get your pensions sorted.

Well done any one who cycled in this morning too, maybe you stick with it after the strike too?

JamesAC

I was out and about in London yesterday eve (on foot) cos of the tube strike. It was really scary! Loads of cyclists, no lights, dressed in black/grey/khaki; hurtling the wrong way down one-way streets, scattering pedestrains as they (the cyclists) shot through red lights; mowing down young mothers as they wheeled their children in buggies along the pavement.

Is it always like this in Central London? No wonder motorists' make such a fuss!!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The more cyclists around the better for everyone. I'm chuffed plenty newbies are out there today, and I hope we all give them plenty of tolerance and space.

Tynan

Veteran
I have sympathy with anyone working for a company in administration, you're usually just waiting to find out which month you'll be told to go home on the day you should have been paid, the staff are the last thing the administrators care about for all their assurances, the people that ruined the company will all be walking away with the money, you can count on that

So many people now are used to be treated like pawns that they've forgotten about why people ever formed unions

the ES is already making out that's it about wages, heaven forbid that workers should want job security and their pensions guaranteed, as they've been repeatedly 'promised' by people that aren't responsible for those thing

so many people with a lifetime of contributions have lost their entire pension in these same circumstances and been left out in the cold, and yet when people that have joined a union actually use their mutual power to defend themselves from being done over, people get outraged

anytime that there's a strike, there's two parties responsible, if they only want assurances that they'll keep their jobs and pensions, why not give it to them?

I sat next to a senior fireman on the plane yesterdays that gave me the firemans' side of their strike, the govt was hellbent on reducing the power of the fireman's union using the power of the media to sway public opinion

I'm sure nothing like that's going on here, oh no good lord no

as for the rest, I'm scootering still resting an injured knee, but one reason was not having to mix it with the occasional cyclists, pedestrians and god knows what else, think I'll delay returning to the bike till next week for the same reasons

jonathan ellis

saw some choice moves
mostly by the merc trying to overtake me on a hill with speed bumps
smacked his fairing and exhaust on em too

had to use the airzound to push him back (he had some anger)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I don't call bods on bikes cyclists - you can see a cyclist by the way they ride etc. A bod on a bike is a complete menace. Shame it was a dry day today then ?

My wife doesn't understand what I mean, there are cyclists (i.e. serious people) then the menaces - I've been in city centre manchester for a couple of days (went on train) and the bod's on bikes are scarey - the cyclist's aren't - the bods do all sorts of mad stuff.... give us all a bad name !

8-wheeler

This week's tube strike has forced me to start commuting to my new job on bike as early as my second day, which wasn't ideal, but in a way I'm glad now. Roads were absolutely chocker as you can imagine, and it was the motorists that suffered the most.

The RMT want to have their cake and eat it. A blatent p*** take. Their damn union should be broken up. In this day and age, I'm afraid that no one is guaranteed anything in terms of job security or retirement income, or if they are then they should be willing to accept the trade off in terms of lower wages.

8-wheeler

fossyant said:
I don't call bods on bikes cyclists - you can see a cyclist by the way they ride etc. A bod on a bike is a complete menace. Shame it was a dry day today then ?

Nah, sorry. If you're on a bike you're a cyclist. You may be a crap or dangerous cyclist, but you are a cyclist all the same.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
8-wheeler said:
Nah, sorry. If you're on a bike you're a cyclist. You may be a crap or dangerous cyclist, but you are a cyclist all the same.

Well said, I agree. There's no need to be classist about people on bikes. A big thumbs down to bods on bikes or people on bikes type stuff.

Top Bottom