Tubeless crazy issue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Sounds like you've been extremely lucky. Your mechanic is right, these are not factory tubeless wheels.

You can get a conversion kit though. Will set you back circa £30.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Surely the conversion kit would be just tubeless rim tape and a pair of tubeless valves? That still makes the wheels 'tubeless compatible'. Am I missing something here?
It would also include a rubber rim strips (the valve would be integrated into these). But other than that, no, I don't think you're missing anything.

But in that sense, every wheel is 'tubeless compatible' :-)

My impression is that the OP rode these tubeless without any modifications whatsoever?

LWeleven

I think most tubeless rims have a slightly deeper groove the tyre sits it from experience they are a dam pain when you need to get the tyre off, tyres vary so much in size If you have a very small fitting tyre it’s very possible it would be tight enough not to leak air .

The critical factor making any given rim tubeless compatible is the rim profile. This is different from a normal clincher in the manner in which it retains the tyre since the stresses are different. Quite apart from the tyre not staying in place when deflated, a rim that is not designed for tubeless may allow the tyre to come off when INflated, which comes into the 'very bad thing' category ;-)

I doubt the OP's been running them with normal rim tape as they'd be unlikely to stay inflated very well at all.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
The critical factor making any given rim tubeless compatible is the rim profile. This is different from a normal clincher in the manner in which it retains the tyre since the stresses are different (...) I doubt the OP's been running them with normal rim tape as they'd be unlikely to stay inflated very well at all.
Agree, but as @LWeleven mentioned above, he might have selected tyres that are such a tight fit that it actually worked.

Quite apart from the tyre not staying in place when deflated, a rim that is not designed for tubeless may allow the tyre to come off when INflated, which comes into the 'very bad thing' category ;-)
My thought exactly, which is why I called him lucky in my first reply :blush:

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
It would also include a rubber rim strips (the valve would be integrated into these). But other than that, no, I don't think you're missing anything.

My impression is that the OP rode these tubeless without any modifications whatsoever?
As if, how would it hold air? They fitted rim tape & tubeless valves & sealant. There’s no other mods to do. I’ve done 2 years and dropped down long steep hills at 50 mph. Still totally confused. The shop owner sold me them set up & this very young mechanic is like no no no mate I’ve put tubes in so you don’t die.

I’ve been running these wheels for 2 years tubeless but the mechanic just put tubes in saying they’re not compatible. I think he’s made a mistake.
https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-du...kgh0jfhEETfJM--KsYxoCHQoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Any rim if sealed to the spokes with tape can be tubeless if the bead retaining stuff is suitable I think but it's only half a story though as it might the tyres he thinks aren't tubeless suitable?

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Any rim if sealed to the spokes with tape can be tubeless if the bead retaining stuff is suitable I think but it's only half a story though as it might the tyres he thinks aren't tubeless suitable?
They say P-zero TL on the side. He can’t be that stupid. And I’m not stupid enough to mount a standard clincher with no tubes.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I think all we are talking about here is so called ghetto tubeless.

However, that was originally an MTB thing, those fellas are always falling off anyway so I doubt they noticed any difference.

A ghetto installation for a 50mph roadie bike descent probably is more risky.

Top Bottom