Tubeless on any rim?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Not had any problems yet. But I check sealant level every couple of months.
I dont bother, just fill it up, wear the tyre out and then replace tyre and sealant

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I have tubeless on one bike, but only the cycling industry could sell you something with 33 holes in it and tell you to make it airtight.

YellowV2

Veteran
Been running tubeless for four years with no problems. 25mm tyres on 19mm rims, with 40mm sealant ( Effetto Mariposa Caffelatex) as recommended. Fit and leave on until worn out, don't carry tubes just use a worm to fix holes that sealant won't fix (very rare for me).
I wouldn't however touch a Ghetto set up as the tyre could come off the rim in certain circumstances.
Tech Page -How to install tubeless tyres and fix them.

I run tubeless on all my bikes except the deep section front wheel of my TT bike. The rear disc is tubeless and I wanted the same benefits for the front. The wheel manufacturers said I could convert it but a wee bit of research convinced me not too. It might be garbage and it would never occur but the thought of the front tyre coming away at 30mph was enough.

boydj

Legendary Member
I bought tubeless wheels from Hunt and had them fit tubeless tyres. I've since changed the rear and had no problems fitting it tubeless, using the existing rim tape. I then had wheels built with Mavic tubeless rims and set them up tubeless myself. One tyre was no problem, the other required a tape re-wrap after damaging the tape fitting the tyre, which was particularly tight. I then converted the wheels on my electric bike to tubeless. It had come with tubeless rims and tyres, but fitted with tubes and non-tubeless tape. No problems doing these wheels.

Setting up the wheels is not difficult - it just takes time and patience to get the tape wrapped correctly. It get easier the more you do it. Some tyres are easier to do than others, ditto rims. I've not yet had a puncture that I'm aware of on any of these tubeless wheels.

Top Bottom