Tubeless on any rim?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Weejacko

Hey all who read this!

I don't know if this is a noob question or there is something I am missing but, I want to go tubeless, and I was wondering if any rim can go tubeless?

My bike has stock rims (2012((I think) claud butler san remo)) and has nothing to say it is "tubeless ready" or anything like that. I know I can get tubeless kits with the tape and the sealant but does that work with any rim?

I can't find any info online about what rim i have or the actual bike at all (only similar ones) as the bike is not too old to be vintage but too old for anyone to care about anymore it seems.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I think it depends on the rim, and the search term you want to use to further your quest is "ghetto tubeless" ;)

OP
OP
W

Weejacko

Is ghetto tubeless a reliable way? I've heard the term but ghetto kinda turns me off XD

So are you saying that I can't just go and get a conversion kit and voila?

Venod

Eh up
The first tubeless I ran was a Ghetto setup, 20" tubes slit round the outer cricumference and fitted to 26" normal rims and tyres, worked well, but it was a MTB so only low pressure use.

OP
OP
W

Weejacko

No viable reason, just want to, I don't think either are superior, I don't like carying tubes, or fixing tiny punctures

Sharky

Guru
No viable reason, just want to, I don't think either are superior, I don't like carying tubes, or fixing tiny punctures
I'm not sure that it will eliminate the need to carry a spare tube, but I gather once set up, you should be free of tiny punctures. Others on here will be able tell you about their experiences.

Ghetto tubeless works ok-ish on MTBs but don’t do it on a road bike. The higher pressure causes issues and the lack of bead retention means the ghetto tyre can come off the rim during a major flat. A MTB has a much larger tyre volume and generally slower speeds, so you have more time to stop before all the air is gone.

Sharky

Guru
In which case I think il give it a miss. I don't mind tubes all that much. Thanks for the info and advice everyone, much appreciated ! Merry Christmas and a happy new year to all that celebrate
A sensible decision. As the saying goes "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I'm not sure that it will eliminate the need to carry a spare tube, but I gather once set up, you should be free of tiny punctures. Others on here will be able tell you about their experiences.
indeed at road pressures it can blow sealant out if the holes big enough and it can be messy fitting a tube to get you home

CXRAndy

Guru
Yes its possible, I always use tubeless tyres on road rims. The idea is you will be using a larger tyre at lower pressure, so this blowing the sealant doesn't really apply. Good quality rim tape, correctly fitted and of the suitable width to match the rim. I usually do a dry install to see if the tyre pops onto the bead and holds pressure for a few hours to overnight. I then with a couple of tyre levers. Pop off a small section of tyre, pour in 75-100 mil of sealant, refit tyre and inflate. I then spend a good few minutes rolling the wheel in all directions to coat the entire inside to allow the sealant do its job. Never had any major issues using this technique. Small punctures-a thing of the past ^_^

alex_cycles

Veteran
Yes its possible, I always use tubeless tyres on road rims. The idea is you will be using a larger tyre at lower pressure, so this blowing the sealant doesn't really apply. Good quality rim tape, correctly fitted and of the suitable width to match the rim. I usually do a dry install to see if the tyre pops onto the bead and holds pressure for a few hours to overnight. I then with a couple of tyre levers. Pop off a small section of tyre, pour in 75-100 mil of sealant, refit tyre and inflate. I then spend a good few minutes rolling the wheel in all directions to coat the entire inside to allow the sealant do its job. Never had any major issues using this technique. Small punctures-a thing of the past ^_^

100ml? Seems like quite a lot. Is that more than usual because of 'ghetto'?

For what size tyres and rims? On 700c, 30mm tyres the Effeto Mariposa app tells me 35ml (and 37mm tyres 40ml).

I use tubeless on 'tubeless ready' road and gravel wheels/tyres and it's 'bloody brilliant' but never tried ghetto.

Top Bottom