Tubeless or not tubeless

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pedalpusher

I have not really found an internet article that explains what tubeless tyres are all about - there seems to be an assumption (probably correctly) that you should know the basic principles. However, my questions are probably even more basic, and if anyone can help, I'd be really grateful.

1) Can tubeless be used on any rims, with a bit of Stan's or any other similar product, or do you need special wheels?

2) Presumably, only tubeless-ready tyres can be used?

3) If a tubeless tyre gets a puncture, how easy is it to repair? Is there a trail fix, or do you need to lob in an inner to get back home and apply a more robust patch?

4) What are the advantages - to me, it seems like: fewer pinch flats allowing lower pressures to be run, less weight? (I currently use Slime inners which seem heavy)

If anyone can point me to a beginner's article on all of this, or better still provide some first hand experiences/advice, brilliant.

Cheers

PP

02GF74

Über Member
1) proper tubeless tyres have a soft lip that is different shape round the rim so that they seal - they need to be used on rims designed for tubeless tyres which also have no holes drilled for spokes. The Stans and other goo stuff work in conjunction with rim tape to gunk up the gaps i.e. gets messy inside as well as blocking up the valve. I think this works with clincher tyres.

2) tubeless-ready tyres fitted to tubeless ready rims.

3) Unless you can find the cause of the puncture, you may be able to fix it by cleaing the cut and dabbing on superglue. If not, then you need a bath of water, pump up the tyre and put the wheel into the tub to locate the hole, then fix as mentioned. It is unlikely you'll be out on the trails with a bath tub of water and chances are you will puntuce away from a convenient pond or reservoir so you would fix by inserting the inner tube. I have a pair of Specialized tubeless tyres and am forever fixing small cuts - they seem to be super flimsy and it is a real PITA, both tyres are soft; thinking of putting in super lightweight tubes :rolleyes:

4) advatnages as you state but disadvatnags of having to fix punture almost after every ride, probably more of a tyre brand/model issue I suspect.

Search my post about this subject in Know How, someone posted useful link about them.

In summary, sound good in theory but my experinece show they suck. Maybe a different make/model will work better. Off to find some latex tubes now that you reminded me.

RedBike

Tubeless tyres, once filled with Stans probably aren't any lighter than your existing setup.

The Stans is magical at sealing up those little thorn punctures. While lifting my bike over a barb wire fence the other week I put the wheel down on the wire and watched in horror as it start to hiss. However, the Stans did its job and I was able to continue riding (With a slightly flatter tyre). I've never had any luck with slime and that lot; but Stans with tubeless tyres actually seems to work.

Repairing a punture on the trail isn't really any harder than repairing a tube. You effectively either stick a patch to the inside of the tyre or you make the hole in the tyre even bigger then push in this rubber bung. However, by far the easiest way is just to stick a tube in. The problem isn't repairing the tyres on the trail, it's re-inflating the tyres after.

It's all about pressure. Until the tyre is up to pressure it probably wont be sat correctly on the rim. The tyre bead also wont be pushed hard against the rim to form an air tight seal. So if you try and pump a tubeless tyre up with a little mini pump you might find the air escapes quicker than you can pump it in. You need a good track pump and or a co2 canister to start the tyre off.

Once the tyres got some pressure in (we're only talking circa 10psi) it becomes air tight and you can pump it up just as easily as a normal tyre. It's just starting the tyre off thats the problem.

If you want to run tubeless tyres on standard rims search for Ghetto tubeless on You tube. Although I would recommend you use both tubeless and tyres and tubeless rims

02GF74

Über Member
RB - good point about the inflating - it needs a large volume of air to push the bead out to seal - I use an air compressor to do that although I have managed to do it once with a track pump; neither of which are practical to take out riding.

RedBike

Some makes of tyre seem to pump up straight away and would be no problem to inflate with a mini pump.

Others (espeshially once worn) are a complete swine to inflate. You pump and pump and all you seem to do is squirt this sealent all over the floor.

It's easier to just stick a tube in there and sort the thing out once you get home. In theory you should be a lot less likely to puncture in the first place than with tubes.

Top Bottom