Tubeless question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Think about it a little bit, the only way the sealant would not work is if it had all escaped. In 50+ years of cycling most of the puncture problems I have had would possible not have stopped the ride if I had been tubeless.

Yes i get that - and i'm no expert on all this - i did consider it - it was just the thought of having to get all the stuff out of the tyre it there was a split long enough to make the tubeless tyre unrideable.

Changing tubes is at least a known technique for me - tubeless resistance may well just be unfamiliarity / technology inertia on my part.

screenman

Legendary Member
If the split was that big there would be nothing left to get rid of is my point.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
If the split was that big there would be nothing left to get rid of is my point.

Ok i see - i wasn't aware that all the 'stuff' ( yes - more tecknikal words) would come out through a split - i was envisioning that within the tyre it became like some sort of expanded foam or some such that you had to scrape out before you could replace with a tube.

But still mucky yes?

Not to mention silicone product all over verge for the local wildlife to enjoy??

Plus you have to take a bottle of 'gunk' 250 ml yes? in your repair kit.
So thats probs 400g plus weight to carry on a long trip ..

lane

Veteran
In my experience, tubeless ready wheels are not actually tubeless ready as the rim tape is usually not tubeless compatible. @Racing roadkill is wrong in that a worm does not require the tire to be taken off, you just jam it in. In fact it can often be so fast you don’t even need to top with air up until you get home. In many tens of thousands of tubeless miles I have only needed to use a worm once. They may not be for everybody, but don’t let people tell you that they are not suitable for road bikes.

That's interesting. I purchased some tubeless ready wheels but was wondering if the rim tape was the required material. Is there any way to tell?

screenman

Legendary Member
Ok i see - i wasn't aware that all the 'stuff' ( yes - more tecknikal words) would come out through a split - i was envisioning that within the tyre it became like some sort of expanded foam or some such that you had to scrape out before you could replace with a tube.

But still mucky yes?

Not to mention silicone product all over verge for the local wildlife to enjoy??

Plus you have to take a bottle of 'gunk' 250 ml yes? in your repair kit.
So thats probs 400g plus weight to carry on a long trip ..

As I said since going tubeless I have not had a puncture stop a ride. No I do not carry extra sealant I carry tubes, which I shall replace soon as they have been in the bag a very long time.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Why are you less likely to puncture with tubeless? Is a tubeless tyre thicker? I always carry tubes but must be lucky because punctures are a rarity which means I have little practice of changing a tube but can do it .

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
As I said since going tubeless I have not had a puncture stop a ride. No I do not carry extra sealant I carry tubes, which I shall replace soon as they have been in the bag a very long time.

ok - sorry to labour the point @screenman but just for clarity - are you saying that if you ride tubeless - but then have a tyre injury which allows all the gunk out - you can then just replace with a tube ( and boot too maybe) reinflate, and then ride on??

DRHysted

Guru
I run both setups. I did try tubeless on my CX this required new rim tape, tubeless tyres, sealant, and valves. For some reason I never managed to get the tyres to seal properly.
I then changed my MTB tyres to tubeless using the gorilla tape method, these sealed 1st time and have run faultlessly so I tried the gorilla tape method on the CX with no success.
So I have the CX on tubes, and the MTB on tubeless.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Thankyou - I may reconsider my choice now, apparently my tyres are 'tubeless ready' but I decided against this cos of perceived remote 'gunk' difficulties.

There will be perhaps half a cupful of gunk in the tyre.

In the event of a catastrophic tyre split that sealant will go somewhere - most of it will be sprayed over the wheel, tyre, the bike frame, or you.

Or you may end up with a puddle of sealant in the tyre which, as you've observed, you would have little choice but to pour onto the verge before fitting a tube.

Like @screenman, I have never had a puncture so big that sealant or a worm kit wouldn't have sorted.

But if you had to put a tube into a previously tubeless tyre beside the road it would be a very messy job.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
That's interesting. I purchased some tubeless ready wheels but was wondering if the rim tape was the required material. Is there any way to tell?

You are looking for something totally water and airtight. All the tubeless tape I have used has been like thick sellotape/film or what I have been using for a while, just gorilla tape.

Top Bottom