Tubeless question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
ok thanks. Mine is more like a fabric so if I ever go tubeless it will need replacing. I might be tempted with the GP 5000s one day.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I don't use tubeless myself and so have no experience of them, but this is an interesting article from the Comic -

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/product-news/tubeless-tyres-properly-406530

Jody

Stubborn git
But if you had to put a tube into a previously tubeless tyre beside the road it would be a very messy job.

Depends on what sealant you use. I've had a catastrophic failure and it was no worse than changing a tube would be normally. Neither the bike or me was covered in sealant. This was a normal latex like Stans. I've not used it but have been given a tyre previously used with slime sealant. Now that was a sticky mess I wouldn't want to deal with.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Depends on what sealant you use. I've had a catastrophic failure and it was no worse than changing a tube would be normally. Neither the bike or me was covered in sealant. This was a normal latex like Stans. I've not used it but have been given a tyre previously used with slime sealant. Now that was a sticky mess I wouldn't want to deal with.

The problem of disposing of the remaining sealant still exists, assuming it hasn't all dried out and there's still some in.

I'm no tree hugger, but dumping that goo beside the road or down a drain is not ideal.

pawl

Legendary Member

Milzy

Guru
I have found that if you using tyres with 90psi plus there is not much advantage to being tubeless. If you get a puncture, the pressure is so high that it is often difficult for the sealant to do its job. I carry tubes. I can fix tubes at the side of the road in the dark. I cant do it with tubeless.
My tubeless conti 5000 gp’s won’t be high pressure though, more 60 to 65psi. If they don’t seal then it’s a bloody big hole.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Granted it's not ideal but 60ml of liquid latex that will wash away is hardly an environmental catastrophe.

You're right - its not quite of 'Torrey canyon' proportions, is it?

The oil and rubber slick from car tyres is going to present more of a problem all of the time.

Jody

Stubborn git
.If you buy a tubeless ready wheels why is it necessary to apply various lairs of rim tape?

How else would you lace a wheel? The nipple has to go through the rim and will need sealing after.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
How else would you lace a wheel? The nipple has to go through the rim and will need sealing after.
Not on full tubeless rims.

Tubeless_Rim.jpg

Top Bottom