Tubeless question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
How else would you lace a wheel? The nipple has to go through the rim and will need sealing after.

I am fully aware that the nipple has to go through the rim,that applies to tubed or tubeless. My tubed rims have always come with rim tape in place.Its obvious you can’t build the wheel with tape in place..So why isn’t the sealing tape put in place once the build is completed.Does the make,type of tyre determine amount of rim tape is required?

Jody

Stubborn git
So why isn’t the sealing tape put in place once the build is completed.Does the make,type of tyre determine amount of rim tape is required?

Because the purchaser may not want to run it tubeless or they may be using a system like Bontragers rims trips and don't need rim tape. Either way you will be paying 10-20 minutes labour per wheel set for someone to tape them up.

The amount of tape usually varies when people run "ghetto" setups on rims that are not TLR and want to increase the internal diameter of the rim so it creates a better seal for inflation. Some tyre/rim combos are quite a baggy fitment. My old ghetto setup needed a compressor to get a seal. The Hope rims they were replaced with go up on a track pump first time.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Not all wheels need tape.
Some are welded and no spoke access
I have ones that you can't just pop the spoke nipple out, in fact I'm not even sure how you would.

My new Mavics have a gel seal and my mavic pros are sealed rims

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Not all wheels need tape.
Some are welded and no spoke access
I have ones that you can't just pop the spoke nipple out, in fact I'm not even sure how you would.

My new Mavics have a gel seal and my mavic pros are sealed rims

Magnetic nipples with a magnet to move the nipple around the rim and enter via the valve hole.

pawl

Legendary Member
Because the purchaser may not want to run it tubeless or they may be using a system like Bontragers rims trips and don't need rim tape. Either way you will be paying 10-20 minutes labour per wheel set for someone to tape them up.

The amount of tape usually varies when people run "ghetto" setups on rims that are not TLR and want to increase the internal diameter of the rim so it creates a better seal for inflation. Some tyre/rim combos are quite a baggy fitment. My old ghetto setup needed a compressor to get a seal. The Hope rims they were replaced with go up on a track pump first time.

Thanks for that Jody. Makes things clearer to me.

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Hi again, having decided to stick to inner tubes, I changed my mind as the rims were indeed taped, the tyres tubeless, and I had a couple of unused tubeless valves that came with my last bike....
So I ordered some stans sealant, as advised above, and dug out the valves... I then realised that the boardman rims are asymmetric..... do I simply buy some sort of adapters? Or do I need completely different valves? I hope that makes sense. Thanks

CXRAndy

Guru
Just stick the valves in, cant see why asymmetric rim profile would spoil anything.

Once the the tyre is on and pressured up, re tighten valve nut down further

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Ok, thanks.... yes I couldn’t really see why it would make much of a difference... just something I saw on YouTube.
Any tips for sealing the tyre, it’s a 38mm one, just with a track pump? Or will I need co2, or a compressor?
Thanks again

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Ok, thanks.... yes I couldn’t really see why it would make much of a difference... just something I saw on YouTube.
Any tips for sealing the tyre, it’s a 38mm one, just with a track pump? Or will I need co2, or a compressor?
Thanks again

You can try with a track pump, but in my experience you have to have a very tight fitting tyre to make it work. On my one successful attempt with a track pump on road rims I managed to get them to seat, but only with sealant in place first. I now use a tubeless inflator, which works first time every time.

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Beto-CJA00...wWRJlF2W4e7S-U4e3MnZWGqrREZ7udw4aAvrDEALw_wcB

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Thanks ... quick question, which side of the rim is the rubber o ring supposed to be on the valve?
Google brings up different results, some showing it on the outside, others in the inside :wacko:
I guess I should just see what works, which I will do as soon as the sealant arrives, sometime today.......

CXRAndy

Guru
Thanks ... quick question, which side of the rim is the rubber o ring supposed to be on the valve?
Google brings up different results, some showing it on the outside, others in the inside :wacko:
I guess I should just see what works, which I will do as soon as the sealant arrives, sometime today.......

I use these valves with a conical rubber end. https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-u...OjxKBoZMiYycHbjHBkgO0wMSajDrXI4hoCAXAQAvD_BwE

I cut with a sharp knife a little cross on the sealing rim tape, fit valve and tighten hard down with fingers. Once pressurised the valve nut will need further tightening. The sealant does the rest.
My method of fitting tubeless tyres and the associated rim tape.
  • Clean up rim of old tape and use brake cleaner to degrease inside rim surfaces.
  • Fit correct width 'Stans' tape, 2 layers. I usually start 6" passed valve and finish 6" the other side after two layers. Pull tape tight and press out all air bubbles
  • Install valve as above, then tyre, dont put sealant in yet. Inflate(ideally compressor) to pop tyre beads onto rim, you should hear 2 pops. Leave whilst prepping next wheel
  • If first wheel is holding pressure(which it should), I then with tyre levers un-seat about 6-10" of tyre( as though I was about to remove tyre). Turn the tyre lever 90 degrees to form a gap. Pour in 70 mil of Stans or Orange sealant.
  • rotate wheel so seelant is on opposite side and refit tyre fully.
  • Reinflate to maximum tyre pressure, roll wheel around to spread sealant on all internal surfaces. Press tyre hard against floor, all bits of diameter.
  • Job done nearly, next adjust pressure to requirements.

Finished

Last edited:
OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Great, thanks for that.
I’ve done all that, just waiting for the sealant to arrive in the post.
There is a leak around the valve, but I’m assuming the sealant will seal that?

Jody

Stubborn git
  • If first wheel is holding pressure(which it should), I then with tyre levers un-seat about 6-10" of tyre( as though I was about to remove tyre). Turn the tyre lever 90 degrees to form a gap. Pour in 70 mil of Stans or Orange sealant.
  • rotate wheel so seelant is on opposite side and refit tyre fully.
Easier method for adding sealant is remove the valve core and use a 100mm syringe. Great for topups as well as you don't have to unseat the tyre.

Top Bottom