Tubeless road plus setups

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
I was thinking of getting a 650b road wheelset for a new Surly Troll. 'Road plus' or whatever it's called this week. Something along these lines. I notice however, even on 'skinny' tyres the max pressures aren't particularly high:

"Maximum tyre pressures for other tyre sizes 30mm do not exceed 70psi, 33mm do not exceed 50psi, 35-45mm do not exceed 40psi, 46mm+ do not exceed 35psi."

Anyhone running such a setup? Do you really run these tyres so low for road use? I assume the lower rolling resistance of a tubeless setup compensates somewhat for the increased resistance running at low pressures.

I was thinking of getting a 650b road wheelset for a new Surly Troll. 'Road plus' or whatever it's called this week. Something along these lines. I notice however, even on 'skinny' tyres the max pressures aren't particularly high:

"Maximum tyre pressures for other tyre sizes 30mm do not exceed 70psi, 33mm do not exceed 50psi, 35-45mm do not exceed 40psi, 46mm+ do not exceed 35psi."

Anyhone running such a setup? Do you really run these tyres so low for road use? I assume the lower rolling resistance of a tubeless setup compensates somewhat for the increased resistance running at low pressures.

You have no tube in a tubeless set up, you can’t get pinch flats, you can run lower pressures. That’s one of the main attractions of a tubeless set up.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The pressures quoted seem perfectly reasonable for their respective tyre sizes. The only reason I can think you'd want to go higher than those pressures is if you're a very heavy rider.

I have 28mm tubeless tyres on my audax bike (700c wheels), usually inflated to around 65-70psi. They're fine at that pressure. I don't notice any increased rolling resistance.

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
Okay fair enough. I'm still getting a bit of a feel around the appropriate pressures on tubeless systems for various conditions.

Tubed, I'd probably pump them up a fair bit more, and the only tubeless system I've run on the road is 60mm Super Motos, which I had 30psi+ on the back and 25-ish on the front...but that's a massive tyre.

Top Bottom